Win Update Clobbers Mozilla (1.7.3) Link to Profile--How R..

Last night I noticed that XP (Pro) was updating my system, as it
sometimes does. A dailog came up, which asked me if I wanted to
restart now or later. I took later. This morning I noticed that my
system must have restarted overnight and I had to logon. I was greeted
with a new Moz 1.7.3 home page> I had it set to Google, but it was now
on the the Moz site. When I tried my e-mail it wanted to create a new
e-mail account. Not good. I went down into my folders and found that
my e-mail folders and file seemed to be OK. Newsgroup data too. My
bookmark file was OK. In fact, I could display the list of them in the
browser.

I really do not want to blindly start recreating my e-mail and
newsgroup accounts, since I suspect I might lose the data that I do
have. How do I proceed? I have backed up the admi90mr.slt folder to a CD.

I had one profile (default), three e-mail accounts and one access to
newsgroups
(news.west.earthlink.net).

I solved this one by called Moz tech support ($40--well worth it).
Basically, the idea was to recreate a new defaults profile, create a
vanilla mail and newsgroup account, and then use "Mail and Newsgroup
Settings" to direct the accounts to the folders in the profile (Mail,
News). It also knocked out links to the address books. They were a bit
harder to get back into place.

Yes, as the poster above said, forget automatic updates. Do them on your
own every week or two.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
The laptop is no longer under warrenty so I'm not sure if they will help, I also get the sneaking suspision that all they will do is tell me that I need to replace the hard drive. But I suppose it couldn't hurt to try...