Remove drives that prevent loading XP???

Tags:
  • Drivers
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
a b \ Driver
June 18, 2005 10:32:01 AM

I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung. I can't get into it
to remove them. Is there a way. Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back
activated yet as this was a new install. Please help.

More about : remove drives prevent loading

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 18, 2005 2:55:05 PM

Hi Tom,

Here are instruction on how to use System Restore in Windows, in Safe
Mode, and at the Command Prompt. Restore to a point prier to the
driver installation.
All About System Restore in WinXP
http://bertk.mvps.org/body_index.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

***TominFL*** wrote:
> I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung.
> I can't get into it to remove them. Is there a way.
> Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back activated yet as
> this was a new install. Please help.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 18, 2005 2:55:06 PM

Can't enter safe mode and when I enter "last known good..." it stops/hangs
after Windows screen is loading for about 5 secs. or about half way.
When I try to boot with XP cd it will load windows files then hang where it
says "starting windows"
Can't figure how to enter the system. Isn't there a boot cd or floppy that
will allow entry to the c: drive (NTFS)?

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Here are instruction on how to use System Restore in Windows, in Safe
> Mode, and at the Command Prompt. Restore to a point prier to the
> driver installation.
> All About System Restore in WinXP
> http://bertk.mvps.org/body_index.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> ***TominFL*** wrote:
> > I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung.
> > I can't get into it to remove them. Is there a way.
> > Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back activated yet as
> > this was a new install. Please help.

a b \ Driver
June 18, 2005 2:55:06 PM

That link went to "Page can't be found" Please resend. Thanks.

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Here are instruction on how to use System Restore in Windows, in Safe
> Mode, and at the Command Prompt. Restore to a point prier to the
> driver installation.
> All About System Restore in WinXP
> http://bertk.mvps.org/body_index.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> ***TominFL*** wrote:
> > I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung.
> > I can't get into it to remove them. Is there a way.
> > Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back activated yet as
> > this was a new install. Please help.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 18, 2005 2:55:06 PM

WONDER OF WONDERS! I just removed the TV receiver PCI card and Windows boots
and works great.

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Here are instruction on how to use System Restore in Windows, in Safe
> Mode, and at the Command Prompt. Restore to a point prier to the
> driver installation.
> All About System Restore in WinXP
> http://bertk.mvps.org/body_index.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> ***TominFL*** wrote:
> > I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung.
> > I can't get into it to remove them. Is there a way.
> > Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back activated yet as
> > this was a new install. Please help.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 18, 2005 6:07:57 PM

Glad to hear it. Thanks no doubt to Dave Candy's advise.

Here's the working link.

***TominFL*** wrote:
> WONDER OF WONDERS! I just removed the TV receiver PCI
> card and Windows boots and works great.
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> Here are instruction on how to use System Restore in
>> Windows, in Safe Mode, and at the Command Prompt.
>> Restore to a point prier to the driver installation.
>> All About System Restore in WinXP
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/body_index.html
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> ***TominFL*** wrote:
>>> I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung.
>>> I can't get into it to remove them. Is there a way.
>>> Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back activated yet as
>>> this was a new install. Please help.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 18, 2005 6:42:40 PM

Can you get into safe Mode? (restart your pc and, as it boots, keep tapping
the F8 button until the safe mode menu appears, then select safe mode. You
should be able to do a system restore from there or, alternatively you can
disable the current drivers.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung. I can't get into
>it
> to remove them. Is there a way. Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back
> activated yet as this was a new install. Please help.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 18, 2005 6:42:41 PM

Can't enter safe mode. It stops/hangs after loading Mup.sys.

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> Can you get into safe Mode? (restart your pc and, as it boots, keep tapping
> the F8 button until the safe mode menu appears, then select safe mode. You
> should be able to do a system restore from there or, alternatively you can
> disable the current drivers.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>

> "***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung. I can't get into
> >it
> > to remove them. Is there a way. Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back
> > activated yet as this was a new install. Please help.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 18, 2005 6:42:41 PM

When I boot from the win cd it loads the files but hangs when it gets done
When I enter "last known good..." it stops/hangs after Windows screen is
system to remove bad drivers.

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> Can you get into safe Mode? (restart your pc and, as it boots, keep tapping
> the F8 button until the safe mode menu appears, then select safe mode. You
> should be able to do a system restore from there or, alternatively you can
> disable the current drivers.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
>

> "***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung. I can't get into
> >it
> > to remove them. Is there a way. Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back
> > activated yet as this was a new install. Please help.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 18, 2005 11:23:42 PM

You might want to visit my website http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Click on
the Win XP Faq button and take a look at question 10 'how do i create an
emergency startup disk for xp.
Luckily your problem was hardware related not, as you first thought, driver
related. However, having an emergency boot floppy can help you boot direct
to the windows desktop should you have any further problems booting your
machine. Hopefully, you may never need it, but then, if you do, it is always
there for you
--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org

"***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung. I can't get into
>it
> to remove them. Is there a way. Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back
> activated yet as this was a new install. Please help.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 19, 2005 4:47:16 AM

Choose last known good from the startup menu. This boots with the drivers that last sucessfully booted.

"***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:140494EF-67C8-434D-A6AD-AE4F98070D67@microsoft.com...
>I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung. I can't get into it
> to remove them. Is there a way. Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back
> activated yet as this was a new install. Please help.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 19, 2005 4:47:17 AM

Can't enter safe mode. When I enter "last known good..." it stops/hangs after

"David Candy" wrote:

> Choose last known good from the startup menu. This boots with the drivers that last sucessfully booted.

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:140494EF-67C8-434D-A6AD-AE4F98070D67@microsoft.com...
> >I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung. I can't get into it
> > to remove them. Is there a way. Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back
> > activated yet as this was a new install. Please help.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 19, 2005 7:17:28 AM

Well it's not a driver problem then. Have you removed the hardware?

"***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD2F8DEC-CDBB-4FDE-AEF0-3B85A184D0E8@microsoft.com...
> Can't enter safe mode. When I enter "last known good..." it stops/hangs after
> Windows screen is loading for about 5 secs. or about half way.
> When I try to boot with XP cd it will load windows files then hang where it
> says "starting windows"
> Can't figure how to enter the system. Isn't there a boot cd or floppy that
> will allow entry to the c: drive (NTFS)?
>

> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> Choose last known good from the startup menu. This boots with the drivers that last sucessfully booted.
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> "***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:140494EF-67C8-434D-A6AD-AE4F98070D67@microsoft.com...
>> >I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung. I can't get into it
>> > to remove them. Is there a way. Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back
>> > activated yet as this was a new install. Please help.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 20, 2005 7:06:04 AM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:03:05 -0700, "***TominFL***"

>Can't enter safe mode. When I enter "last known good..." it stops/hangs after
>Windows screen is loading for about 5 secs. or about half way.

That happens if the thing assumes the boot was OK, splats the last
"last good" with the current one, and *then* dies. This is typical
for drivers that are invoked "later", e.g. sound drivers that chirp
(and die) to make the logon noise, which is late enough to be assumed
"good" to too early to avoid when starting up.

>Can't figure how to enter the system. Isn't there a boot cd or floppy that
>will allow entry to the c: drive (NTFS)?

Yes there is, no thanks to MS. Well, you can thank MS for Recovery
Console, which may let you scratch around through its keyhole
interface, but more useful might be a Bart's PE startup CDR. The snag
is, you need a working XP system to build that from.

I'm trying to think of what app it was that listed device drivers much
as MSConfig lists startup items, so that you can disable them - it
might have been MS AntiSpyware Beta, lemmie have a look... nope, it
wasn't that (and anyway, MSAS can't even install from Safe Mode, and
it can't run from Bart's). It was Avast for Bart, which is an av that
runs natively (and formally) from Bart, plus other tools, many of
which are so good one wants them in Windows.

The device driver killer (or rather, reversable-disabler) was one such
tool. It's a pity that Avast for Bart is very costly feeware, but
then that's what happens when tool vendors are forced to rely on an
at-risk product such as Bart's, because MS are asleep at the wheel.

Bart's is at-risk because at any whim of MS Legal, they could get
blown away. If you're a dev with a six-month-old product that's only
shipped 200 units so far, then each of those units had better have
brought in some serious moolah. Such is the need, they likely do.

As it is, your best bet would be:

1) SR fallback from RC, if that's possible
2) Manual application of registry backup, ?from SR subtree
3) Attach registry hives and manual clean up the drivers

Bart's can facilitate (2) and (3), as well as allowing you to copy any
system file somewhere else, to preserve a fallback copy (unless you
use EFS, I don't see Bart's cutting into that).

XP doesn't, AFAIK, formally keep multiple registry backups, as Win98xx
and WinME do (the RB*.CAB set). It may however stash copies of the
registry hives within System Restore's subtree, and you can get at
these from Bart's - no mother-henning from an over-protective OS that
currently can't even boot it's ass off the floor anyway.

Avast for Bart will automatically access the HD installation's
registry, instead of the one that Bart's booted up with from CDR to
RAM disk. On it's own, Bart won't do that, so you'd have to
explicitly bind the HD's hives to HKLM subtree from Regedit.

If you just fire up Regedit withion Bart, you'd be working on the
wrong registry. You can't really hurt anything that way - as Bart
doesn't scribble on the HD, running as it does from CDR(OM) onto RAM
disk, you can just button reset your way out - but you can't fix
anything that way either :-)

Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!
a b \ Driver
June 20, 2005 10:36:34 AM

Just like Dave Candy said, and it obviously worked.

The botched driver installation is still there though.

Hauppauge tends to oversimplify and makes assumptions about adding their PCI
cards to PCs.
http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/manuals/m-pvr.pdf
Tend to believe you have a resource conflict regarding the Personal Video
Receiver (PVR) card, and another hardware on your PC. The driver install
software probably can't handle this.

In this webpage is a downloadable executable file that will remove the
driver installation. Not sure how it will handle a botched install.
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_pvr250-3...
Do not use the listed latest driver unless it applies to your model of PVR
card. If its another model, find the latest driver in the support section
of their website.
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support.html

Tech support contact?
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_contact....