Remove drives that prevent loading XP???

I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung. I can't get into it
to remove them. Is there a way. Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back
activated yet as this was a new install. Please help.
14 answers Last reply
More about remove drives prevent loading

    Hi Tom,

    Here are instruction on how to use System Restore in Windows, in Safe
    Mode, and at the Command Prompt. Restore to a point prier to the
    driver installation.
    All About System Restore in WinXP
    http://bertk.mvps.org/body_index.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    ***TominFL*** wrote:
    > I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung.
    > I can't get into it to remove them. Is there a way.
    > Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back activated yet as
    > this was a new install. Please help.

    Can't enter safe mode and when I enter "last known good..." it stops/hangs
    after Windows screen is loading for about 5 secs. or about half way.
    When I try to boot with XP cd it will load windows files then hang where it
    says "starting windows"
    Can't figure how to enter the system. Isn't there a boot cd or floppy that
    will allow entry to the c: drive (NTFS)?

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi Tom,
    >
    > Here are instruction on how to use System Restore in Windows, in Safe
    > Mode, and at the Command Prompt. Restore to a point prier to the
    > driver installation.
    > All About System Restore in WinXP
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/body_index.html
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > ***TominFL*** wrote:
    > > I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung.
    > > I can't get into it to remove them. Is there a way.
    > > Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back activated yet as
    > > this was a new install. Please help.

    That link went to "Page can't be found" Please resend. Thanks.

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi Tom,
    >
    > Here are instruction on how to use System Restore in Windows, in Safe
    > Mode, and at the Command Prompt. Restore to a point prier to the
    > driver installation.
    > All About System Restore in WinXP
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/body_index.html
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > ***TominFL*** wrote:
    > > I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung.
    > > I can't get into it to remove them. Is there a way.
    > > Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back activated yet as
    > > this was a new install. Please help.

    WONDER OF WONDERS! I just removed the TV receiver PCI card and Windows boots
    and works great.

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi Tom,
    >
    > Here are instruction on how to use System Restore in Windows, in Safe
    > Mode, and at the Command Prompt. Restore to a point prier to the
    > driver installation.
    > All About System Restore in WinXP
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/body_index.html
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > ***TominFL*** wrote:
    > > I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung.
    > > I can't get into it to remove them. Is there a way.
    > > Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back activated yet as
    > > this was a new install. Please help.

    Glad to hear it. Thanks no doubt to Dave Candy's advise.

    Here's the working link.

    ***TominFL*** wrote:
    > WONDER OF WONDERS! I just removed the TV receiver PCI
    > card and Windows boots and works great.
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Tom,
    >>
    >> Here are instruction on how to use System Restore in
    >> Windows, in Safe Mode, and at the Command Prompt.
    >> Restore to a point prier to the driver installation.
    >> All About System Restore in WinXP
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org/body_index.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> ***TominFL*** wrote:
    >>> I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung.
    >>> I can't get into it to remove them. Is there a way.
    >>> Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back activated yet as
    >>> this was a new install. Please help.

    Can you get into safe Mode? (restart your pc and, as it boots, keep tapping
    the F8 button until the safe mode menu appears, then select safe mode. You
    should be able to do a system restore from there or, alternatively you can
    disable the current drivers.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    "***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung. I can't get into
    >it
    > to remove them. Is there a way. Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back
    > activated yet as this was a new install. Please help.

    Can't enter safe mode. It stops/hangs after loading Mup.sys.

    "John Barnett MVP" wrote:

    > Can you get into safe Mode? (restart your pc and, as it boots, keep tapping
    > the F8 button until the safe mode menu appears, then select safe mode. You
    > should be able to do a system restore from there or, alternatively you can
    > disable the current drivers.
    >
    > --
    > John Barnett MVP
    > Associate Expert
    > http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
    >

    > "***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung. I can't get into
    > >it
    > > to remove them. Is there a way. Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back
    > > activated yet as this was a new install. Please help.

    When I boot from the win cd it loads the files but hangs when it gets done
    When I enter "last known good..." it stops/hangs after Windows screen is
    system to remove bad drivers.

    "John Barnett MVP" wrote:

    > Can you get into safe Mode? (restart your pc and, as it boots, keep tapping
    > the F8 button until the safe mode menu appears, then select safe mode. You
    > should be able to do a system restore from there or, alternatively you can
    > disable the current drivers.
    >
    > --
    > John Barnett MVP
    > Associate Expert
    > http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
    >

    > "***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung. I can't get into
    > >it
    > > to remove them. Is there a way. Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back
    > > activated yet as this was a new install. Please help.

    You might want to visit my website http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Click on
    the Win XP Faq button and take a look at question 10 'how do i create an
    emergency startup disk for xp.
    Luckily your problem was hardware related not, as you first thought, driver
    related. However, having an emergency boot floppy can help you boot direct
    to the windows desktop should you have any further problems booting your
    machine. Hopefully, you may never need it, but then, if you do, it is always
    there for you
    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org

    "***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung. I can't get into
    >it
    > to remove them. Is there a way. Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back
    > activated yet as this was a new install. Please help.

    Choose last known good from the startup menu. This boots with the drivers that last sucessfully booted.

    "***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:140494EF-67C8-434D-A6AD-AE4F98070D67@microsoft.com...
    >I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung. I can't get into it
    > to remove them. Is there a way. Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back
    > activated yet as this was a new install. Please help.

    Can't enter safe mode. When I enter "last known good..." it stops/hangs after

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Choose last known good from the startup menu. This boots with the drivers that last sucessfully booted.

    > "***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:140494EF-67C8-434D-A6AD-AE4F98070D67@microsoft.com...
    > >I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung. I can't get into it
    > > to remove them. Is there a way. Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back
    > > activated yet as this was a new install. Please help.

    Well it's not a driver problem then. Have you removed the hardware?

    "***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD2F8DEC-CDBB-4FDE-AEF0-3B85A184D0E8@microsoft.com...
    > Can't enter safe mode. When I enter "last known good..." it stops/hangs after
    > Windows screen is loading for about 5 secs. or about half way.
    > When I try to boot with XP cd it will load windows files then hang where it
    > says "starting windows"
    > Can't figure how to enter the system. Isn't there a boot cd or floppy that
    > will allow entry to the c: drive (NTFS)?
    >

    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    >> Choose last known good from the startup menu. This boots with the drivers that last sucessfully booted.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >> "***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:140494EF-67C8-434D-A6AD-AE4F98070D67@microsoft.com...
    >> >I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung. I can't get into it
    >> > to remove them. Is there a way. Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back
    >> > activated yet as this was a new install. Please help.

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:03:05 -0700, "***TominFL***"

    >Can't enter safe mode. When I enter "last known good..." it stops/hangs after
    >Windows screen is loading for about 5 secs. or about half way.

    That happens if the thing assumes the boot was OK, splats the last
    "last good" with the current one, and *then* dies. This is typical
    for drivers that are invoked "later", e.g. sound drivers that chirp
    (and die) to make the logon noise, which is late enough to be assumed
    "good" to too early to avoid when starting up.

    >Can't figure how to enter the system. Isn't there a boot cd or floppy that
    >will allow entry to the c: drive (NTFS)?

    Yes there is, no thanks to MS. Well, you can thank MS for Recovery
    Console, which may let you scratch around through its keyhole
    interface, but more useful might be a Bart's PE startup CDR. The snag
    is, you need a working XP system to build that from.

    I'm trying to think of what app it was that listed device drivers much
    as MSConfig lists startup items, so that you can disable them - it
    might have been MS AntiSpyware Beta, lemmie have a look... nope, it
    wasn't that (and anyway, MSAS can't even install from Safe Mode, and
    it can't run from Bart's). It was Avast for Bart, which is an av that
    runs natively (and formally) from Bart, plus other tools, many of
    which are so good one wants them in Windows.

    The device driver killer (or rather, reversable-disabler) was one such
    tool. It's a pity that Avast for Bart is very costly feeware, but
    then that's what happens when tool vendors are forced to rely on an
    at-risk product such as Bart's, because MS are asleep at the wheel.

    Bart's is at-risk because at any whim of MS Legal, they could get
    blown away. If you're a dev with a six-month-old product that's only
    shipped 200 units so far, then each of those units had better have
    brought in some serious moolah. Such is the need, they likely do.

    As it is, your best bet would be:

    1) SR fallback from RC, if that's possible
    2) Manual application of registry backup, ?from SR subtree
    3) Attach registry hives and manual clean up the drivers

    Bart's can facilitate (2) and (3), as well as allowing you to copy any
    system file somewhere else, to preserve a fallback copy (unless you
    use EFS, I don't see Bart's cutting into that).

    XP doesn't, AFAIK, formally keep multiple registry backups, as Win98xx
    and WinME do (the RB*.CAB set). It may however stash copies of the
    registry hives within System Restore's subtree, and you can get at
    these from Bart's - no mother-henning from an over-protective OS that
    currently can't even boot it's ass off the floor anyway.

    Avast for Bart will automatically access the HD installation's
    registry, instead of the one that Bart's booted up with from CDR to
    RAM disk. On it's own, Bart won't do that, so you'd have to
    explicitly bind the HD's hives to HKLM subtree from Regedit.

    If you just fire up Regedit withion Bart, you'd be working on the
    wrong registry. You can't really hurt anything that way - as Bart
    doesn't scribble on the HD, running as it does from CDR(OM) onto RAM
    disk, you can just button reset your way out - but you can't fix
    anything that way either :-)

    Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

    Just like Dave Candy said, and it obviously worked.

    The botched driver installation is still there though.

    Hauppauge tends to oversimplify and makes assumptions about adding their PCI
    cards to PCs.
    http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/manuals/m-pvr.pdf
    Tend to believe you have a resource conflict regarding the Personal Video
    Receiver (PVR) card, and another hardware on your PC. The driver install
    software probably can't handle this.

    In this webpage is a downloadable executable file that will remove the
    driver installation. Not sure how it will handle a botched install.
    http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_pvr250-350.html
    Do not use the listed latest driver unless it applies to your model of PVR
    card. If its another model, find the latest driver in the support section
    of their website.
    http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support.html

    Tech support contact?
    http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_contact.html
    Common questions?
    http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/faq/support_faq.html

    > WONDER OF WONDERS! I just removed the TV receiver PCI card and Windows
    boots
    > and works great.
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Tom,
    > >
    > > Here are instruction on how to use System Restore in Windows, in Safe
    > > Mode, and at the Command Prompt. Restore to a point prier to the
    > > driver installation.
    > > All About System Restore in WinXP
    > > http://bertk.mvps.org/body_index.html
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > > http://dts-l.org/
    > >
    > > ***TominFL*** wrote:
    > > > I just loaded drivers for my TV PVR card and my PC hung.
    > > > I can't get into it to remove them. Is there a way.
    > > > Unfortunately, I didn't have Go Back activated yet as
    > > > this was a new install. Please help.

Drivers Microsoft Windows XP