Keeping palm synced with both laptop and PC

a b D Laptop
August 21, 2004 5:52:46 AM

This seems like a common configuration but I cannot see how to do it
simply.

I have a PC, a laptop, and Palm Tungsten 2 running PalmOS 5. I would
like to keep them in sync. The PC and laptops both run XP Pro.

The laptop and PC are on a LAN (when I am at home); when I am away
from home, the laptop, or course, is not connected to the PC. However,
there are times when I would like to use Palm Desktop on the laptop to
browse and manipulate my Palm databases, and there are times I would
like to use Palm Desktop on the PC to browse and manipulate my Palm
database (and, of course, there are times I'd like to use my Palm to
do this).

I only have on cradle, which is connected to the PC.

So how to keep the three copies of the database (PC's, laptop's, and
Palm's) in sync?

Some possibilities:

o By a new cradle or buy a USB Y-switch and sync the palm separately
to the laptop and to the PC. Seems rather kludgy. If one wasn't sure
which copy, the laptop's or the PC's, was updated first in Palm
Desktop, one would have to hotsync 4 times to make sure all the
databases were in sync: once to sync the palm with the PC, once to
sync the palm with the laptop (and the PC); then once again to sync
the laptop and PC with PC via the Palm, and again with the laptop.

o Somehow use network hotsync. But network hotsync works by syncing
the palm to a remote PC, not be syncing the local Palm desktop
software. Anyway, I could neither figure out how network hotsync would
be used for this nor get it to work.

o Use Windows offline files to sync up copies of the Palm databases on
the laptop and on the PC. This seems quite dangerous to me.

I would not ask this if it did not seem a common problem - how have
others solved it?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 21, 2004 1:38:13 PM

Eric Mantner wrote:

> I would not ask this if it did not seem a common problem - how have
> others solved it?

I sync to both computers. Kludgy indeed. I have an extra 3-in-1 cable, so
the sync procedure is rather fast, but still. You could use IrDA or
BlueTooth to sync to the laptop.

In theory, when using bluetooth, it should be possible to create sync tool
that does it all automatically. sync to desktop using USB, sync to laptop
using BT, sync to desktop again and finally sync to laptop again.

It sure would help if there was a way to sync both computers directly, but
I've never heard of any possibility on that.

--
Randy Simons

When replying to this message,
please follow the nettiquette and quote correctly.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 21, 2004 4:10:36 PM

On 21 Aug 2004 01:52:46 -0700, fsgtae@ureach.com (Eric Mantner) was
understood to have stated the following:

>This seems like a common configuration but I cannot see how to do it
>simply.
>
>I have a PC, a laptop, and Palm Tungsten 2 running PalmOS 5. I would
>like to keep them in sync. The PC and laptops both run XP Pro.
>
>The laptop and PC are on a LAN (when I am at home); when I am away
>from home, the laptop, or course, is not connected to the PC. However,
>there are times when I would like to use Palm Desktop on the laptop to
>browse and manipulate my Palm databases, and there are times I would
>like to use Palm Desktop on the PC to browse and manipulate my Palm
>database (and, of course, there are times I'd like to use my Palm to
>do this).
>
>I only have on cradle, which is connected to the PC.
>
>So how to keep the three copies of the database (PC's, laptop's, and
>Palm's) in sync?
>
>Some possibilities:
>
>o By a new cradle or buy a USB Y-switch and sync the palm separately
>to the laptop and to the PC. Seems rather kludgy. If one wasn't sure
>which copy, the laptop's or the PC's, was updated first in Palm
>Desktop, one would have to hotsync 4 times to make sure all the
>databases were in sync: once to sync the palm with the PC, once to
>sync the palm with the laptop (and the PC); then once again to sync
>the laptop and PC with PC via the Palm, and again with the laptop.
>
>o Somehow use network hotsync. But network hotsync works by syncing
>the palm to a remote PC, not be syncing the local Palm desktop
>software. Anyway, I could neither figure out how network hotsync would
>be used for this nor get it to work.
>
>o Use Windows offline files to sync up copies of the Palm databases on
>the laptop and on the PC. This seems quite dangerous to me.
>
>I would not ask this if it did not seem a common problem - how have
>others solved it?

It's a philosophy issue. :-)

Multiple computer syncing isn't an issue if you're using Palm Desktop.
Adopt the philosophy that your PDA is a "floppy drive with a display".
If you don't have a cable or cradle to attach to a particular
computer, pick one up. I like the Belkin charging cable for my T|3, as
it allows me to sync easily to any PC I've installed the Palm desktop
to, and I can charge my T|3 in my car or at said PC without having to
drag a cradle around. As it lacks the bulk of the cradle, it fits
easily into a toy bag and reasonably well in a pants pocket.

Also adopt the philosophy that the PDA is the master, and all of the
PCs that you sync to are it's slaves. Thus, when you first approach a
particular computer, sync with it, and the last thing you do before
leaving that computer is sync with it again.

Issues get complicated somewhat if you do "mass editing", say, for
example, by cutting a group of memos to the memo pad, editing them
from a text editor, and then pasting them back into the Palm Desktop.
In that case, when you sync to the next PC, it's best to set the
HotSync conduits to "Palm overrides desktop", or delete the user
altogether from the "new" PC before syncing.
a b D Laptop
August 22, 2004 12:09:16 AM

In article <fbc1a713.0408210052.112918f4@posting.google.com>,
fsgtae@ureach.com (Eric Mantner) wrote:

> This seems like a common configuration but I cannot see how to do it
> simply.
>
> I have a PC, a laptop, and Palm Tungsten 2 running PalmOS 5. I would
> like to keep them in sync. The PC and laptops both run XP Pro.
>
> The laptop and PC are on a LAN (when I am at home); when I am away
> from home, the laptop, or course, is not connected to the PC. However,
> there are times when I would like to use Palm Desktop on the laptop to
> browse and manipulate my Palm databases, and there are times I would
> like to use Palm Desktop on the PC to browse and manipulate my Palm
> database (and, of course, there are times I'd like to use my Palm to
> do this).
>
> I only have on cradle, which is connected to the PC.

Sync handheld to PC.

Unplug cradle and plug it into laptop.

Sync handheld to laptop.

Unplug cradle and plug it into PC.

Sync handheld to PC.

Repeat as necessary.

(If laptop has IR, you can try an IR sync.)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 22, 2004 9:51:12 PM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 20:09:16 GMT, guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) was
understood to have stated the following:

>Sync handheld to PC.
>
>Unplug cradle and plug it into laptop.
>
>Sync handheld to laptop.
>
>Unplug cradle and plug it into PC.
>
>Sync handheld to PC.
>
>Repeat as necessary.
>
>(If laptop has IR, you can try an IR sync.)

Or if laptop and PC are connected via a LAN, you can network hotsync.
Or you can bluetooth hotsync. Or you can modem hotsync. Or you can
wifi hotsync. :-)

--

The last song I started on my PC was: Red Wine-Mannheim Steamroller-Fresh Aire 4
This is track 39 of 42 in the current playlist.

fsgtae@ureach.com (Eric Mantner) wrote in message news:<fbc1a713.0408210052.112918f4@posting.google.com>...
> This seems like a common configuration but I cannot see how to do it
> simply.
>
> I have a PC, a laptop, and Palm Tungsten 2 running PalmOS 5. I would
> like to keep them in sync. The PC and laptops both run XP Pro.
>
> The laptop and PC are on a LAN (when I am at home); when I am away
> from home, the laptop, or course, is not connected to the PC. However,
> there are times when I would like to use Palm Desktop on the laptop to
> browse and manipulate my Palm databases, and there are times I would
> like to use Palm Desktop on the PC to browse and manipulate my Palm
> database (and, of course, there are times I'd like to use my Palm to
> do this).
>
> I only have on cradle, which is connected to the PC.
>
> So how to keep the three copies of the database (PC's, laptop's, and
> Palm's) in sync?
>
> Some possibilities:
>
> o By a new cradle or buy a USB Y-switch and sync the palm separately
> to the laptop and to the PC. Seems rather kludgy. If one wasn't sure
> which copy, the laptop's or the PC's, was updated first in Palm
> Desktop, one would have to hotsync 4 times to make sure all the
> databases were in sync: once to sync the palm with the PC, once to
> sync the palm with the laptop (and the PC); then once again to sync
> the laptop and PC with PC via the Palm, and again with the laptop.
>
> o Somehow use network hotsync. But network hotsync works by syncing
> the palm to a remote PC, not be syncing the local Palm desktop
> software. Anyway, I could neither figure out how network hotsync would
> be used for this nor get it to work.
>
> o Use Windows offline files to sync up copies of the Palm databases on
> the laptop and on the PC. This seems quite dangerous to me.
>
> I would not ask this if it did not seem a common problem - how have
> others solved it?

Very easy.

Use the IR port on your laptop to sync.

Cable on your desktop.