XP install hangs - get error message

Tags:
  • Error Message
  • Windows XP
June 18, 2005 2:20:37 PM

Orignal problem was getting blue screen error report technical data:
oxc0000005 etc., couldn't find the problem so tried to do a clean install of
XP from my OEM Gateway Operating System disk. I get to the "Windows XP HE
Setup" screen the files copy OK until it gets to 85-90% then I get one of
the following error messages:

1. Setup cannot copy file xxxxxx.xxx (different file name each time)
2. File xxxxx.xxx was not copied correctly. The file setup placed on
your HD is not a valid Windows XP system
image. If you are installing from CD, there may be a problem with
the Windows XP CD.

After each error message it gives me the option to "Retry or Skip". I try
"Retry" -- get same error message. I try "Skip" I get one of the above error
messages with a different file name.

I have two same version OEM Gateway Operating system disks (I borrowed one
from my daugther). I also tried a XP upgrade disk. no difference, same
problem.

I used gwscan.exe to check my hard drive and it passed all tests. I also
wrote zeroes to the drive.

Appreciate any help. Thanks

Don

More about : install hangs error message

June 18, 2005 2:47:59 PM

don wrote:

> Orignal problem was getting blue screen error report technical data:
> oxc0000005 etc., couldn't find the problem so tried to do a clean install of
> XP from my OEM Gateway Operating System disk. I get to the "Windows XP HE
> Setup" screen the files copy OK until it gets to 85-90% then I get one of
> the following error messages:
>
> 1. Setup cannot copy file xxxxxx.xxx (different file name each time)
> 2. File xxxxx.xxx was not copied correctly. The file setup placed on
> your HD is not a valid Windows XP system
> image. If you are installing from CD, there may be a problem with
> the Windows XP CD.
>
> After each error message it gives me the option to "Retry or Skip". I try
> "Retry" -- get same error message. I try "Skip" I get one of the above error
> messages with a different file name.
>
> I have two same version OEM Gateway Operating system disks (I borrowed one
> from my daugther). I also tried a XP upgrade disk. no difference, same
> problem.
>
> I used gwscan.exe to check my hard drive and it passed all tests. I also
> wrote zeroes to the drive.
>
> Appreciate any help. Thanks
>
> Don

Try a known good CD drive. Check the hard drive with a diagnostic
utility from the drive manufacturer's web site. Check the ram with
memtest86+ and the windows memory diagnostic tool:

http://www.memtest.org/
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I checked the RAM with a program
called docmemory and it showed I had a memory problem. I had two sets of
RDRAM (2x256 and 2x512) installed, unfortunately it was the 2x512 that were
bad (they're $400+ for a pair last time I checked). I wouldn't have found
the problem without your help...THANKS

Don

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
news:o ABDf3CdFHA.2688@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> don wrote:
>
>> Orignal problem was getting blue screen error report technical data:
>> oxc0000005 etc., couldn't find the problem so tried to do a clean install
>> of XP from my OEM Gateway Operating System disk. I get to the "Windows
>> XP HE Setup" screen the files copy OK until it gets to 85-90% then I get
>> one of the following error messages:
>>
>> 1. Setup cannot copy file xxxxxx.xxx (different file name each time)
>> 2. File xxxxx.xxx was not copied correctly. The file setup placed
>> on your HD is not a valid Windows XP system
>> image. If you are installing from CD, there may be a problem
>> with the Windows XP CD.
>>
>> After each error message it gives me the option to "Retry or Skip". I
>> try "Retry" -- get same error message. I try "Skip" I get one of the
>> above error messages with a different file name.
>>
>> I have two same version OEM Gateway Operating system disks (I borrowed
>> one from my daugther). I also tried a XP upgrade disk. no difference,
>> same problem.
>>
>> I used gwscan.exe to check my hard drive and it passed all tests. I also
>> wrote zeroes to the drive.
>>
>> Appreciate any help. Thanks
>>
>> Don
>
> Try a known good CD drive. Check the hard drive with a diagnostic utility
> from the drive manufacturer's web site. Check the ram with memtest86+ and
> the windows memory diagnostic tool:
>
> http://www.memtest.org/
> http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
>

> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

June 18, 2005 11:30:56 PM

don wrote:

> Thanks for taking the time to respond. I checked the RAM with a program
> called docmemory and it showed I had a memory problem. I had two sets of
> RDRAM (2x256 and 2x512) installed, unfortunately it was the 2x512 that were
> bad (they're $400+ for a pair last time I checked). I wouldn't have found
> the problem without your help...THANKS
>
> Don

You're welcome Don. Thanks for posting back.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User