XP install hangs - get error message

Orignal problem was getting blue screen error report technical data:
oxc0000005 etc., couldn't find the problem so tried to do a clean install of
XP from my OEM Gateway Operating System disk. I get to the "Windows XP HE
Setup" screen the files copy OK until it gets to 85-90% then I get one of
the following error messages:

1. Setup cannot copy file xxxxxx.xxx (different file name each time)
2. File xxxxx.xxx was not copied correctly. The file setup placed on
your HD is not a valid Windows XP system
image. If you are installing from CD, there may be a problem with
the Windows XP CD.

After each error message it gives me the option to "Retry or Skip". I try
"Retry" -- get same error message. I try "Skip" I get one of the above error
messages with a different file name.

I have two same version OEM Gateway Operating system disks (I borrowed one
from my daugther). I also tried a XP upgrade disk. no difference, same
problem.

I used gwscan.exe to check my hard drive and it passed all tests. I also
wrote zeroes to the drive.

Appreciate any help. Thanks

Don
3 answers Last reply
More about install hangs error message

    don wrote:

    > Orignal problem was getting blue screen error report technical data:
    > oxc0000005 etc., couldn't find the problem so tried to do a clean install of
    > XP from my OEM Gateway Operating System disk. I get to the "Windows XP HE
    > Setup" screen the files copy OK until it gets to 85-90% then I get one of
    > the following error messages:
    >
    > 1. Setup cannot copy file xxxxxx.xxx (different file name each time)
    > 2. File xxxxx.xxx was not copied correctly. The file setup placed on
    > your HD is not a valid Windows XP system
    > image. If you are installing from CD, there may be a problem with
    > the Windows XP CD.
    >
    > After each error message it gives me the option to "Retry or Skip". I try
    > "Retry" -- get same error message. I try "Skip" I get one of the above error
    > messages with a different file name.
    >
    > I have two same version OEM Gateway Operating system disks (I borrowed one
    > from my daugther). I also tried a XP upgrade disk. no difference, same
    > problem.
    >
    > I used gwscan.exe to check my hard drive and it passed all tests. I also
    > wrote zeroes to the drive.
    >
    > Appreciate any help. Thanks
    >
    > Don

    Try a known good CD drive. Check the hard drive with a diagnostic
    utility from the drive manufacturer's web site. Check the ram with
    memtest86+ and the windows memory diagnostic tool:

    http://www.memtest.org/
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I checked the RAM with a program
    called docmemory and it showed I had a memory problem. I had two sets of
    RDRAM (2x256 and 2x512) installed, unfortunately it was the 2x512 that were
    bad (they're $400+ for a pair last time I checked). I wouldn't have found
    the problem without your help...THANKS

    Don

    don wrote:

    > Thanks for taking the time to respond. I checked the RAM with a program
    > called docmemory and it showed I had a memory problem. I had two sets of
    > RDRAM (2x256 and 2x512) installed, unfortunately it was the 2x512 that were
    > bad (they're $400+ for a pair last time I checked). I wouldn't have found
    > the problem without your help...THANKS
    >
    > Don

    You're welcome Don. Thanks for posting back.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Error Message Windows XP