Upgrade PIII to PIV

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
OK, I've got a old 500MhZ PIII PC and I want to upgrade the CPU, M/B and ram only.

Q: If I instal a new PIV CPU, M/B and Ram to the PC and keep the old 6.4GB H/D, will the PC work OK at boot up or will I have to instal a newer H/D, and reinstal the 98 OS?

Thanks,

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
That old HD may easily become a bottleneck in your new fine system. You can use the old HD, but I don't recommend it.
Simply moving the HD to a new mobo will not work. The system will attempt booting but when windows starts loading drivers you will get problems due to the very different hardware. You will need to reinstall the OS.
Further you'll also need a new power supply. Most P4 boards requires an extra 12V connector.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>

jiaruigoh

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
it has to do with the registry thing. I had that problem before, your best bet is to juz transfer stuff you want onto another harddisk u borrowed from ur fren den format the hd =) (assuming not everyone live in a networked house like me)

also what are you going to do with the new comp? last fall i made a new comp p4 2.4b, 256ddr400 but sticked with my old 20gb seagate and its really dragging me down. but i use winxp so it might not be that bad if u use win98.

spamming is an internet crime.

Did i just commit a crime?

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
What I'll do is build a complete new PC, as by replacing the components mentioned, I might as well go all the way.

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
98SE is forgiving, you can go into safe mode, remove all the devices from device manager, install the new parts, boot, and have them detected. When duplicate parts are shown in device manager, remove both the marked and unmarked part, reboot, and the correct part will be installed in the OS.

But better yet, remove everything from device manager, install the parts, and run settup. The refreshed install will configure all your parts for you nearly as well as a clean install would, and you won't loose your data.

It's a GREAT idea to copy your chipset drivers to the hard drive first, so that you can load the IDE controller driver from the hard drive, just in case your CD drive doesn't show up without that driver installed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>