Mobo + cpu + XP sp2 = reboot

a b à CPUs
June 18, 2005 11:41:01 AM

I recently upgraded my mobo to ASUS K8N, and CPU to AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with
1G of DDR400. My system kept rebooting (even in safemode) which I traced to
a program that came with my dsl. I went thought the trouble of reinstalling
the old hardware to fix that problem. Next attempt, also rebooting, ran out
of patience, wiped HD and reinstalled WinXP. This worked ok w/ new hardware
until I installed SP2. No other software has been installed. I tried
WinXP64 trial, but can't find correct drives to even get my LAN recognized.
If I can't get this resolved today, the new hardware goes back. :(

More about : mobo cpu sp2 reboot

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 18, 2005 7:09:52 PM

"kapooey" <kapooey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 35C8C27-2808-41CB-BD5F-1AAEFAA61DF1@microsoft.com...
> I recently upgraded my mobo to ASUS K8N, and CPU to AMD Athlon 64 3200+
with
> 1G of DDR400. My system kept rebooting (even in safemode) which I traced
> a program that came with my dsl. I went thought the trouble of
reinstalling
> the old hardware to fix that problem. Next attempt, also rebooting, ran
out
> of patience, wiped HD and reinstalled WinXP. This worked ok w/ new
hardware
> until I installed SP2. No other software has been installed. I tried
> WinXP64 trial, but can't find correct drives to even get my LAN
recognized.
> If I can't get this resolved today, the new hardware goes back. :(

I had alot of hassles with SP2 so I finally just got rid of that.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2005 3:40:32 AM

"kapooey" <kapooey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I recently upgraded my mobo to ASUS K8N, and CPU to AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with
>1G of DDR400. My system kept rebooting (even in safemode) which I traced to
>a program that came with my dsl. I went thought the trouble of reinstalling
>the old hardware to fix that problem. Next attempt, also rebooting, ran out
>of patience, wiped HD and reinstalled WinXP. This worked ok w/ new hardware
>until I installed SP2. No other software has been installed. I tried
>WinXP64 trial, but can't find correct drives to even get my LAN recognized.
>If I can't get this resolved today, the new hardware goes back. :(

Try creating a new XP Pro install CD with SP2 slipstreamed into it as
per the instructions at
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slip...
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-boot...
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticl...

Then try installing XP again from the slipstreamed CD

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP