Mobo + cpu + XP sp2 = reboot

I recently upgraded my mobo to ASUS K8N, and CPU to AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with
1G of DDR400. My system kept rebooting (even in safemode) which I traced to
a program that came with my dsl. I went thought the trouble of reinstalling
the old hardware to fix that problem. Next attempt, also rebooting, ran out
of patience, wiped HD and reinstalled WinXP. This worked ok w/ new hardware
until I installed SP2. No other software has been installed. I tried
WinXP64 trial, but can't find correct drives to even get my LAN recognized.
If I can't get this resolved today, the new hardware goes back. :(
2 answers Last reply
More about mobo reboot

    "kapooey" <kapooey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I recently upgraded my mobo to ASUS K8N, and CPU to AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    with
    > 1G of DDR400. My system kept rebooting (even in safemode) which I traced
    > a program that came with my dsl. I went thought the trouble of
    reinstalling
    > the old hardware to fix that problem. Next attempt, also rebooting, ran
    out
    > of patience, wiped HD and reinstalled WinXP. This worked ok w/ new
    hardware
    > until I installed SP2. No other software has been installed. I tried
    > WinXP64 trial, but can't find correct drives to even get my LAN
    recognized.
    > If I can't get this resolved today, the new hardware goes back. :(

    I had alot of hassles with SP2 so I finally just got rid of that.

    "kapooey" <kapooey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I recently upgraded my mobo to ASUS K8N, and CPU to AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with
    >1G of DDR400. My system kept rebooting (even in safemode) which I traced to
    >a program that came with my dsl. I went thought the trouble of reinstalling
    >the old hardware to fix that problem. Next attempt, also rebooting, ran out
    >of patience, wiped HD and reinstalled WinXP. This worked ok w/ new hardware
    >until I installed SP2. No other software has been installed. I tried
    >WinXP64 trial, but can't find correct drives to even get my LAN recognized.
    >If I can't get this resolved today, the new hardware goes back. :(

    Try creating a new XP Pro install CD with SP2 slipstreamed into it as
    per the instructions at
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    Then try installing XP again from the slipstreamed CD

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP