Sign in with
Your question

Alternative GSM service providers

Last response: in Network Providers
October 17, 2012 7:26:50 AM

I currently have a Motorola Droid Razr (awesome phone, build like a tank) with Verizon but the bill is killing me. I wanted to get a prepaid GSM sim card and get a Galaxy device from Google Play since my Droid Razr is CDMA.

Currently I'm thinking using T-Mobile's Unlimited Data + Text w/ 100min plan since it's only $30 bucks and I can supplement my minutes with a VoIP service like Skype $3/m.

I live in Westchester, NY and I work in midtown NYC. Any suggestions are appreciated with regards to carrier and VoIP service, there's very little news about cell phone carriers other than the big 4 and tracfone owns most of them (tracfone, simpletalk, simple mobile, net10).
October 19, 2012 6:16:48 AM

I am considering dropping VerizonMobile and going with Straight Talk. But that means I would need to buy a GSM phone; new at full price, or used which I am not very crazy about. It's monthly $45 fee has Unlimited* data, but I would need to read the fine print as to how unlimited their Unlimited* really is. Straight Talk uses both AT&T and Verizon towers.

http://www.straighttalk.com/

Another option for me (but not you) is Virgin Mobile which works on CDMA networks (Sprint's to be exact).
!