Showing incorrect Free Space. Please assist

elite-fusion

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Hey guys,

I have a bit of a dilemma. I have Windows 7 Ultimate installed on my E6420 Dell Latitude. I have 16GB of RAM installed. I have 256GB SSD Kingston drive.

I do not have the system files and hidden files hidden, so all are showing.

I selected all the files in my C:\ drive and went to properties. The size of all files selected is 144GB. So I should have at least 112GB available of free space. Since all drives are never what they say they are, I should have at least 90GB available of free space.

When I go to My Computer, it shows that I have 19GB space free.

I have turned OFF my page file and confirmed that the Pagefile.sys has been deleted.
I have turned OFF hibernation and confirmed that the file has been deleted.
I do NOT have System Restore enabled. I usually backup to an external drive.

Does anyone have any idea's or suggestions as to why this is and how to fix it? I know that it is not a good idea to defrag an SSD as it shortens its lifespan, so that is not an option, checkdisk is also not an option on an SSD. So I am pretty clueless at this point as to what else I can do in order to get at least 90GB free instead of 19GB... Please help me out guys.

hollett

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
Dell, HP and most other branded PC's have a hidden recovery partition, which could also acount for some of the missing space.

Check in 'Drive Management' (Right click Computer and select manage the drive managment) for any extra hidden recovery partitions.

elite-fusion

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

I only have 2 partitions on C:\ the one that windows creates for its own personal favorite space which is 100MB and the other is the main C:\.

So I do not think that that is it.... Thanks for the help anyways...anything helps at this point...

Anyone else care to share some ideas :(

elite-fusion

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

Thanks, will check it out, but I have already used many of these, especially the one on OCZ's site for general SSD optimization, but that still did not help at all, because when i first installed Windows, I used that guide to disable everything possible to make it last longer and have more space :(