Popping Noises??

gnomie

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
I have just put together a new computer and ever since my harddrive makes these "popping noises". I assume this is the hard drive booting or something because it is the same noise it makes when I first turn on the computer and always has when I had it in my older computer. The "pops" come when I try to access my cd drive in windows, this is followed by a lockup. >< It seems like my computer has trouble running two IDE devices at once. What would cause this?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by gnomie on 02/26/04 11:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are the drives on the same cable ??? try running on 2 seperate cables...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

gnomie

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
No they are on different cables, when I try running my cd drive, my hard drive starts rebooting or shutting on and off, don't know what it's called, it causes windows to lock up.

solemndave

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Got the "popping" noise too. Random. It's only a Windows audio popping sound, btw. I had the rebooting thing happen today too, for the first time. wtf??? Scanned everything, all ok. Unplugged all my other drives, booted from c:\ , and it booted, no problem. Re-hooked up the other drives, booted again and lo and be-hold re-boot with no problems...wtf? Billy Gatessss et. al. are doing some heavy ****, my man. They should drop the drugs./;';';';';'lllll Or maybe we should all be doing the same ones so we all know wtf is going on.

There could be a bad sector on the HD. When windows touches that part of the platter, it skips causing the lockup.

I had this problem on a HD a few years ago. It bricked on me not long after the noise started. I would recommend getting your data off the drive and replacing it.