JM

I had unchecked the local permissions in the Windows Compontent Services\My
Computer\Com Security -Access Permissions. I misread instructions on a
Winfax Client/Host workaround and now I'm really up the creek.

I can no longer do simple things as copy & paste, create a new user use
system restore, send/receive email and a number of other things. I tried to
do boot up a chose the "Use last known Good Configuration but that didn't
change my situation.

Is there anyway to undo what I did and get control of my computer back short
of reformatting?

Have you tried System Restore?

--
Cheers,
Mitch Tulloch, MVP Windows Server

This message is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
rights

"JM" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
>I had unchecked the local permissions in the Windows Compontent Services\My
>Computer\Com Security -Access Permissions. I misread instructions on a
>Winfax Client/Host workaround and now I'm really up the creek.
>
> I can no longer do simple things as copy & paste, create a new user use
> system restore, send/receive email and a number of other things. I tried
> to do boot up a chose the "Use last known Good Configuration but that
> didn't change my situation.
>
> Is there anyway to undo what I did and get control of my computer back
> short of reformatting?

JM

Through RUN command lines I was able to try the system restore but its not
functioning. It's looking like I'm going to have to do a Windows re-install.

What files do I need to delete so that I'll get a fresh/full new Windows
install? I'd really like to avoid doing a reformat.

"Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THIS_mtit.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried System Restore?
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Mitch Tulloch, MVP Windows Server
> =======================================
> website: http://www.mtit.com
> my blog: http://itreader.net
>
> This message is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights
>
> "JM" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
>>I had unchecked the local permissions in the Windows Compontent
>>Services\My Computer\Com Security -Access Permissions. I misread
>>instructions on a Winfax Client/Host workaround and now I'm really up the
>>creek.
>>
>> I can no longer do simple things as copy & paste, create a new user use
>> system restore, send/receive email and a number of other things. I tried
>> to do boot up a chose the "Use last known Good Configuration but that
>> didn't change my situation.
>>
>> Is there anyway to undo what I did and get control of my computer back
>> short of reformatting?

QT

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2004

If you can, wait a bit to see if some one has a solution for you, your post
isn't very old and it's the weekend.
If you reinstall windows it will reformat your drive automatically, if you
have a full retail or oem version.
I'm not sure if this will help but try this.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

> Through RUN command lines I was able to try the system restore but its not
> functioning. It's looking like I'm going to have to do a Windows
> re-install.
>
> What files do I need to delete so that I'll get a fresh/full new Windows
> install? I'd really like to avoid doing a reformat.
>

> "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THIS_mtit.com> wrote in message
>> Have you tried System Restore?
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Mitch Tulloch, MVP Windows Server
>> =======================================
>> website: http://www.mtit.com
>> my blog: http://itreader.net
>>
>> This message is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights
>>
>> "JM" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
>>>I had unchecked the local permissions in the Windows Compontent
>>>Services\My Computer\Com Security -Access Permissions. I misread
>>>instructions on a Winfax Client/Host workaround and now I'm really up the
>>>creek.
>>>
>>> I can no longer do simple things as copy & paste, create a new user use
>>> system restore, send/receive email and a number of other things. I tried
>>> to do boot up a chose the "Use last known Good Configuration but that
>>> didn't change my situation.
>>>
>>> Is there anyway to undo what I did and get control of my computer back
>>> short of reformatting?

Malke

JM wrote:
> I had unchecked the local permissions in the Windows Compontent Services\My
> Computer\Com Security -Access Permissions. I misread instructions on a
> Winfax Client/Host workaround and now I'm really up the creek.
>
> I can no longer do simple things as copy & paste, create a new user use
> system restore, send/receive email and a number of other things. I tried to
> do boot up a chose the "Use last known Good Configuration but that didn't
> change my situation.
>
> Is there anyway to undo what I did and get control of my computer back short
> of reformatting?

Try:

Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults -
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313222

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

JM

Great- so there is hope :) I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks so much
for the link!!!

"Malke" <notrealemail@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Try:
>
> Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults -
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313222
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

JM

I just ran the command and it executed properly from what I could see but it
didn't change my situation here at all. Don't know what else to do here.