Permissions HELP! Locked out

I had unchecked the local permissions in the Windows Compontent Services\My
Computer\Com Security -Access Permissions. I misread instructions on a
Winfax Client/Host workaround and now I'm really up the creek.

I can no longer do simple things as copy & paste, create a new user use
system restore, send/receive email and a number of other things. I tried to
do boot up a chose the "Use last known Good Configuration but that didn't
change my situation.

Is there anyway to undo what I did and get control of my computer back short
of reformatting?
6 answers Last reply
More about permissions help locked

    Have you tried System Restore?

    --
    Cheers,
    Mitch Tulloch, MVP Windows Server

    This message is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights

    "JM" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
    >I had unchecked the local permissions in the Windows Compontent Services\My
    >Computer\Com Security -Access Permissions. I misread instructions on a
    >Winfax Client/Host workaround and now I'm really up the creek.
    >
    > I can no longer do simple things as copy & paste, create a new user use
    > system restore, send/receive email and a number of other things. I tried
    > to do boot up a chose the "Use last known Good Configuration but that
    > didn't change my situation.
    >
    > Is there anyway to undo what I did and get control of my computer back
    > short of reformatting?

    Through RUN command lines I was able to try the system restore but its not
    functioning. It's looking like I'm going to have to do a Windows re-install.

    What files do I need to delete so that I'll get a fresh/full new Windows
    install? I'd really like to avoid doing a reformat.

    "Mitch Tulloch" <info@REMOVE_THIS_mtit.com> wrote in message
    > Have you tried System Restore?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Mitch Tulloch, MVP Windows Server
    > =======================================
    > website: http://www.mtit.com
    > my blog: http://itreader.net
    >
    > This message is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
    > rights
    >
    > "JM" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
    >>I had unchecked the local permissions in the Windows Compontent
    >>Services\My Computer\Com Security -Access Permissions. I misread
    >>instructions on a Winfax Client/Host workaround and now I'm really up the
    >>creek.
    >>
    >> I can no longer do simple things as copy & paste, create a new user use
    >> system restore, send/receive email and a number of other things. I tried
    >> to do boot up a chose the "Use last known Good Configuration but that
    >> didn't change my situation.
    >>
    >> Is there anyway to undo what I did and get control of my computer back
    >> short of reformatting?

    If you can, wait a bit to see if some one has a solution for you, your post
    isn't very old and it's the weekend.
    If you reinstall windows it will reformat your drive automatically, if you
    have a full retail or oem version.
    I'm not sure if this will help but try this.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

    JM wrote:
    > I had unchecked the local permissions in the Windows Compontent Services\My
    > Computer\Com Security -Access Permissions. I misread instructions on a
    > Winfax Client/Host workaround and now I'm really up the creek.
    >
    > I can no longer do simple things as copy & paste, create a new user use
    > system restore, send/receive email and a number of other things. I tried to
    > do boot up a chose the "Use last known Good Configuration but that didn't
    > change my situation.
    >
    > Is there anyway to undo what I did and get control of my computer back short
    > of reformatting?

    Try:

    Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults -
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313222

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Great- so there is hope :-) I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks so much
    for the link!!!

    "Malke" <notrealemail@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > Try:
    >
    > Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults -
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313222
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"

    I just ran the command and it executed properly from what I could see but it
    didn't change my situation here at all. Don't know what else to do here.

    "Malke" wrote:

    > JM wrote:
    > > I had unchecked the local permissions in the Windows Compontent Services\My
    > > Computer\Com Security -Access Permissions. I misread instructions on a
    > > Winfax Client/Host workaround and now I'm really up the creek.
    > >
    > > I can no longer do simple things as copy & paste, create a new user use
    > > system restore, send/receive email and a number of other things. I tried to
    > > do boot up a chose the "Use last known Good Configuration but that didn't
    > > change my situation.
    > >
    > > Is there anyway to undo what I did and get control of my computer back short
    > > of reformatting?
    > >

    > Try:
    >
    > Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults -
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313222
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell