Catt

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

From searching and reading past posts I've come to the following conclusion
and would like someone to verify please... The best way to transfer all
pertinent data to a new pc (both with Windows XP home version) is to
Load all programs in with original software CD's then,
Use the "File Transfer Wizard" found in the help/support section to transfer
all the files and folders. Correct?
I assume I can use a crossover usb cable with the "Wizard" ????
Is there a way to get to the File Transfer Wizard without going to help
support and typing in File Transfer in the search bar?
Sorry, guess its more than a quick single question. I just want to get my
ducks in a row before I get a new PC.
Thanks, Catt

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Start | All Programs (or Programs) | Accessories | System Tools | Files and
Settings Transfer Wizard

migwiz.exe = Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

Files and Settings Transfer Wizard...
Start | Run | Type: migwiz | OK

File & Settings Transfer Wizard
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:83A22E43-F8CE-4476-A509-A315A8635BE8@microsoft.com,
Catt <Catt@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> From searching and reading past posts I've come to the following
> conclusion and would like someone to verify please... The best way to
> transfer all pertinent data to a new pc (both with Windows XP home
> version) is to
> Load all programs in with original software CD's then,
> Use the "File Transfer Wizard" found in the help/support section to
> transfer all the files and folders. Correct?
> I assume I can use a crossover usb cable with the "Wizard" ????
> Is there a way to get to the File Transfer Wizard without going to help
> support and typing in File Transfer in the search bar?
> Sorry, guess its more than a quick single question. I just want to get my
> ducks in a row before I get a new PC.
> Thanks, Catt

Catt

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

Thanks, I went and read all about FAST on Mr. Eshelman's site but still have
a question and I can't find where its covered in the AUMha site....
Why can't I network the two PC's (in this case desktop to laptop) and use an
ethernet crossover cable instead of making all of those CD's??? According to
Mr Eshelman the Serial/Serial cable is slow and apparently thats the only
choice when you use FAST. I find it baffling that FAST doesn't work with USB
to USB or Ethernet to Ethernet. Am I missing something???
Thanks, Catt

Catt wrote:

> Thanks, I went and read all about FAST on Mr. Eshelman's site but still have
> a question and I can't find where its covered in the AUMha site....
> Why can't I network the two PC's (in this case desktop to laptop) and use an
> ethernet crossover cable instead of making all of those CD's??? According to
> Mr Eshelman the Serial/Serial cable is slow and apparently thats the only
> choice when you use FAST. I find it baffling that FAST doesn't work with USB
> to USB or Ethernet to Ethernet. Am I missing something???
> Thanks, Catt

You've apparently missed reading this part:

"Best of all, if you have a network set up with drive space available on
another computer, use the “Other” option and save the F.A.S.T. data file
across your network to a hard drive on another computer. "

Steve

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>

>>Start | All Programs (or Programs) | Accessories | System Tools | Files and
>>Settings Transfer Wizard
>>
>>migwiz.exe = Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
>>
>>Files and Settings Transfer Wizard...
>>Start | Run | Type: migwiz | OK
>>
>>File & Settings Transfer Wizard
>>http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
>>
>>--
>>Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>>Wes
>>MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>>In news:83A22E43-F8CE-4476-A509-A315A8635BE8@microsoft.com,
>>Catt <Catt@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>
>>>From searching and reading past posts I've come to the following
>>>conclusion and would like someone to verify please... The best way to
>>>transfer all pertinent data to a new pc (both with Windows XP home
>>>version) is to
>>>Load all programs in with original software CD's then,
>>>Use the "File Transfer Wizard" found in the help/support section to
>>>transfer all the files and folders. Correct?
>>>I assume I can use a crossover usb cable with the "Wizard" ????
>>>Is there a way to get to the File Transfer Wizard without going to help
>>>support and typing in File Transfer in the search bar?
>>>Sorry, guess its more than a quick single question. I just want to get my
>>>ducks in a row before I get a new PC.
>>>Thanks, Catt

Catt

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

No I didn't miss that. But I think you're missing the fact that the
documentation only mentions the use of a serial cable here is the quote from
the site.."“Direct Cable� means via serial port, which will be very, very
slow. Use this at the risk of many very frustrating hours of waiting, since
F.A.S.T. data (.dat) files can be very large."
So the choices are floppies, cd's or Serial cable." There is no mention of
USB cables and I believe that F.A.S.T does not support it. Since I can't ask
Mr. Eshelman a question I'm asking the group. I don't want to get in the
middle of using FAST and find out I can't use it to transfer Files and
Settings. So back to my original question...can someone tell me yes or no if
I can use a USB crossover cable to transfer files and settings with FAST. If
yes, I'm OK. If no am I down to using CD's?
Thanks, Catt

"Steve N." wrote:

> Catt wrote:
>
> > Thanks, I went and read all about FAST on Mr. Eshelman's site but still have
> > a question and I can't find where its covered in the AUMha site....
> > Why can't I network the two PC's (in this case desktop to laptop) and use an
> > ethernet crossover cable instead of making all of those CD's??? According to
> > Mr Eshelman the Serial/Serial cable is slow and apparently thats the only
> > choice when you use FAST. I find it baffling that FAST doesn't work with USB
> > to USB or Ethernet to Ethernet. Am I missing something???
> > Thanks, Catt
> >

> You've apparently missed reading this part:
>
> "Best of all, if you have a network set up with drive space available on
> another computer, use the “Other� option and save the F.A.S.T. data file
> across your network to a hard drive on another computer. "
>
> Steve
>
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >

> >>Start | All Programs (or Programs) | Accessories | System Tools | Files and
> >>Settings Transfer Wizard
> >>
> >>migwiz.exe = Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
> >>
> >>Files and Settings Transfer Wizard...
> >>Start | Run | Type: migwiz | OK
> >>
> >>File & Settings Transfer Wizard
> >>http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
> >>
> >>--
> >>Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >>Wes
> >>MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >>In news:83A22E43-F8CE-4476-A509-A315A8635BE8@microsoft.com,
> >>Catt <Catt@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

Catt,

Actually, Gary Woodruff MVP, wrote the article.

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
[[What’s New in SP2?
The only visible difference and change in capability is in the step where
you select a transfer method. You now have a fourth option called “Home or
small office network – A network is the best way to transfer large amounts
of data.”

This is essentially the same as a direct cable transfer except that the
wizard goes out and confirms that the other computer is available, asks you
to confirm which computer you wish to transfer to, and then does the
collection and transfer. If your new computer is not visible via the network
you will get an error that says, “The wizard cannot locate your new
computer. Make sure the new computer is turned on and that your network is
working properly.”]]

“Home or Small Network” Option Is Unavailable in the Files & Settings
Transfer Wizard
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=301999

See this...

[[There was little to do except tidy up the workspace, install a USB
Ethernet adapter on the old computer, plug in a hub, and connect Ethernet
cables from each computer to the hub. (With only two computers, he could
have used a crossover cable to connect the two machines instead of a hub,
but because I planned to plug my laptop in as well, a hub was the best
choice.) Thirty–nine minutes later, he saw the Windows XP desktop for the
first time. He was amazed!]]
The Ultimate Warp Speed Upgrade: Installing Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/bowman_august20.mspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D12F190B-1FBC-4C8E-9F2F-878480956BBF@microsoft.com,
Catt <Catt@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> No I didn't miss that. But I think you're missing the fact that the
> documentation only mentions the use of a serial cable here is the quote
> from the site.."“Direct Cable� means via serial port, which will be
> very, very slow. Use this at the risk of many very frustrating hours of
> waiting, since F.A.S.T. data (.dat) files can be very large."
> So the choices are floppies, cd's or Serial cable." There is no mention
> of USB cables and I believe that F.A.S.T does not support it. Since I
> can't ask Mr. Eshelman a question I'm asking the group. I don't want to
> get in the middle of using FAST and find out I can't use it to transfer
> Files and Settings. So back to my original question...can someone tell me
> yes or no if I can use a USB crossover cable to transfer files and
> settings with FAST. If yes, I'm OK. If no am I down to using CD's?
> Thanks, Catt
>

> "Steve N." wrote:
>
>> Catt wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, I went and read all about FAST on Mr. Eshelman's site but still
>>> have a question and I can't find where its covered in the AUMha site....
>>> Why can't I network the two PC's (in this case desktop to laptop) and
>>> use an ethernet crossover cable instead of making all of those CD's???
>>> According to Mr Eshelman the Serial/Serial cable is slow and apparently
>>> thats the only choice when you use FAST. I find it baffling that FAST
>>> doesn't work with USB to USB or Ethernet to Ethernet. Am I missing
>>> something???
>>> Thanks, Catt
>>>

>> You've apparently missed reading this part:
>>
>> "Best of all, if you have a network set up with drive space available on
>> another computer, use the “Other� option and save the F.A.S.T. data
>> file across your network to a hard drive on another computer. "
>>
>> Steve

Catt

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

Thank you Mr. Vogel, I read each link carefully. From what I learned it
appears that the best way to transfer is through a network with ethernet. So
I'll hook my new laptop into the network and use the FAST system.
Thanks for the comprehensive reply.
Catt

Catt,

Good luck and keep having fun. :)