Problem with Microsoft Sidewinder 2.0

first off...i'm on windows XP

I tried to install my microsoft sidewinder 2.0 game controller on my
system...and it wouldn't let me on my OS...so I changed the
combatibility mode and now I get the message:

"Your game card is configured improperly, not working correctly, or
not there. For more information, consult your Windows 95
documentation."

also...i had to buy an adapter to plug the controller into my USB
port....if I try to install a Gameport by adding a game controller...I
get the message: "Your Gameport or Gameport drivers are not properly
configured. Please consult the device manager."

Anyone know what to do? thanks

On 7 Feb 2005 15:20:46 -0800, coolgamer2000@yahoo.com (K man) wrote:

>first off...i'm on windows XP
>
>I tried to install my microsoft sidewinder 2.0 game controller on my
>system...and it wouldn't let me on my OS...so I changed the
>combatibility mode and now I get the message:
>
>"Your game card is configured improperly, not working correctly, or
>not there. For more information, consult your Windows 95
>documentation."
>
>also...i had to buy an adapter to plug the controller into my USB
>port....if I try to install a Gameport by adding a game controller...I
>get the message: "Your Gameport or Gameport drivers are not properly
>configured. Please consult the device manager."
>
>Anyone know what to do? thanks

The Sidewinder drivers are already included in Windows XP, choose
Sidewinder autodetect from the game controllers applet in the control
panel.

An adapter may not allow your controller to work correctly though, if
you want to use it you may need to add a sound card in your PC that
offer a gameport, otherwise it may be time to get a USB controller,
gameport devices are obsolete now...

===
Katy P.
MS_MVP for Flight Simulator

Visit Project Magenta!
http://www.promagenta.com

Hi K man,

To install a GamePort controller, Plug it in, click Start / Control Panel /
Switch to Classic view if you haven't already / click Game Controllers
Click Add... / Select Microsoft Sidewinder Auto Detect / OK / OK.

However, a gameport model joystick from any manufacturer is now
as commonly used as a floppy drive. Instead of a USB adapter, you
should just purchase a USB joystick with Windows XP drivers instead.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

K man wrote:
> first off...i'm on windows XP
>
> I tried to install my microsoft sidewinder 2.0 game controller on my
> system...and it wouldn't let me on my OS...so I changed the
> combatibility mode and now I get the message:
>
> "Your game card is configured improperly, not working correctly, or
> not there. For more information, consult your Windows 95
> documentation."
>
> also...i had to buy an adapter to plug the controller into my USB
> port....if I try to install a Gameport by adding a game controller...I
> get the message: "Your Gameport or Gameport drivers are not properly
> configured. Please consult the device manager."
>
> Anyone know what to do? thanks
If I recall correctly the Sidewinder 2 is a digital controler. Digital
gameport controlers use the MIDI functions instead of the 4 each button
and analog axis circuitry. Many aftermarket gameport to USB converters
don't support the MIDI capabilities. Some digital controlers came with
special converters to convert the MIDI signals to USB signals. If a
controler requires Windows 95 or later without mention of DOS support
it's probably a digital controler. Force feedback controlers also
require gameport MIDI, serial port or USB connections due to the
transmission of signals from the computer back to the controler.

In any event, an aftermarket converter doesn't appear as a game port to
the computer. The converter justs turns an analog contoler into a
minimal capability USB controler. If the controler and converter are
compatable with each other you would need to install (or allow the
automatic installation of) a USB converter/controler NOT a game port or
analog control.

Game ports with MIDI capabilities can normally be added to Tower/Desktop
computers with the addition of an inexpensive PCI sound card. Drivers
for many Sidewinder controlers are included on the Windows XP
installation CD or hard disk drive partition. Unfortunately Windows XP
doesn't offer all the button reassignment capabilities the Windows
95/98/ME Sidewinder installation CDs offered.

This is one issue we can all agree about. :)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

"RobertVA" <Robert_c72nospam@hottmail.com> wrote in message news:OsSpjpXDFHA.1496@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>K man wrote:
>> first off...i'm on windows XP
>>
>> I tried to install my microsoft sidewinder 2.0 game controller on my
>> system...and it wouldn't let me on my OS...so I changed the
>> combatibility mode and now I get the message:
>>
>> "Your game card is configured improperly, not working correctly, or
>> not there. For more information, consult your Windows 95
>> documentation."
>>
>> also...i had to buy an adapter to plug the controller into my USB
>> port....if I try to install a Gameport by adding a game controller...I
>> get the message: "Your Gameport or Gameport drivers are not properly
>> configured. Please consult the device manager."
>>
>> Anyone know what to do? thanks
> If I recall correctly the Sidewinder 2 is a digital controler. Digital gameport controlers use the MIDI functions instead of the 4
> each button and analog axis circuitry. Many aftermarket gameport to USB converters don't support the MIDI capabilities. Some
> digital controlers came with special converters to convert the MIDI signals to USB signals. If a controler requires Windows 95 or
> later without mention of DOS support it's probably a digital controler. Force feedback controlers also require gameport MIDI,
> serial port or USB connections due to the transmission of signals from the computer back to the controler.
>
> In any event, an aftermarket converter doesn't appear as a game port to the computer. The converter justs turns an analog contoler
> into a minimal capability USB controler. If the controler and converter are compatable with each other you would need to install
> (or allow the automatic installation of) a USB converter/controler NOT a game port or analog control.
>
> Game ports with MIDI capabilities can normally be added to Tower/Desktop computers with the addition of an inexpensive PCI sound
> card. Drivers for many Sidewinder controlers are included on the Windows XP installation CD or hard disk drive partition.
> Unfortunately Windows XP doesn't offer all the button reassignment capabilities the Windows 95/98/ME Sidewinder installation CDs
> offered.

Which Sidewinder is this?

To follow-up on the suggestions of a few others.............it sounds like
you've got a gameport devices....a simple adapter won't do the trick to make
it work on a USB port. It's likely a gameport only device you've got.

As others have said, gameport devices are archaic. A USB upgrade is your
best bet.

Steve

TRENDING THREADS