Stupid question about Ram timings

Fallen

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
Yeah, you guys are probably going to tease me but here goes...I have a Ram timing question. Currently I have Mushkin PC3200 Level 2, and I can get about 448 out of it on my NF7-S running 2-2-2-11 and 2.9v. That is all good and fine, but if I want more FSB, I have to reduce the timings (something that I don't want to do). Also, I don't really feel like spending a crapload of money on quality Ram to get a little more OC. Here is the question: if a person buys, for instance, PC4200 Ram that is rated at 2.5-x-x, can he make it run at CAS 2 using speeds below 533? I know that this is probably dependant on brand, but is it a safe assumption?

Okay, now you can tease me... ;-)

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Timings matter less and less as speed increases. No doubt, it is worth relaxing timings and continue overclocking, even if you're selecting 3-4-4-8 and gaining just a few MHZ.
OCZ's site says that those high speed modules are meant to work at high speeds and not fast timings and that you'd have problems working at tight timings even if at low speed and high voltage. That said, if I'm able to work at CAS 2.5 with my PC4200 Performance (533MHZ, 3-4-4-8) at 520MHZ, there's a chance that you'd be able to work with other modules at tight timings even at speeds which aren't far from the rated ones.

POST is way overrated, the black screen and beeps should be enough for most people.

G

The answer to your question is yes.
Think of it this way the highest DDR jedec standard is DDR400 aka Pc3200.
All the other stuff is hand picked 3200 tested to run at higher frequencies. You will notice that the timmings are also looser when the frequency rise...So basically your buying certified overclocked ram...
But as ytoledano said timming aint that important higher clock will give you better performance...

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Memory modules that contain Winbond Rev B ICs such as Mushkin PC3200 Level-II tend to enjoy higher memory voltage. Volt mod for the motherboard could be an option.