System Tray

I hope I am using the right term for this: I am speaking of the area in
the lower right corner containing such things as the time. Anyway, how
can I reduce the look of what is running? Once they were in sort of a
"block." Now instead of being listed vertically, the listing is strickly
horizontal.

Thank you
5 answers Last reply
More about system tray

    It is called the Taskbar notification area.

    Right click the Taskbar | Properties | Taskbar tab | Customize button |
    Highlight item | Select Always hide | OK | Apply | OK

    Description of Notification Area Settings
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279771

    Taskbar notification area overview
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_tray_taskbar_notifications_overview.mspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eRjX8cDdFHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    -z <NoSpam@x.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I hope I am using the right term for this: I am speaking of the area in
    > the lower right corner containing such things as the time. Anyway, how
    > can I reduce the look of what is running? Once they were in sort of a
    > "block." Now instead of being listed vertically, the listing is strickly
    > horizontal.
    >
    > Thank you

    Hi,

    It is called the notification area.

    Check for an option to not having the icon load in the System Tray via the
    program(s) in question.

    Other options for removal:

    Go to Start/Run and type in: msconfig. Go to the Startup Tab and uncheck
    accordingly. Then run this script to remove the disabled items from the
    registry.

    Clear Disabled Items from Msconfig Startup and Selective Startup (Line 148)

    Or...remove the runkeys from here: Start/Run/Regedit

    Troubleshooting, Removing and/or Cleaning Add or Remove Programs
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#addremove

    Troubleshooting the Notification Area
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na

    Remove Past Items From the Notification Area (Line 53)

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP

    Wesley Vogel wrote:
    > It is called the Taskbar notification area.
    >
    > Right click the Taskbar | Properties | Taskbar tab | Customize button |
    > Highlight item | Select Always hide | OK | Apply | OK
    >
    > Description of Notification Area Settings
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279771
    >
    > Taskbar notification area overview
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_tray_taskbar_notifications_overview.mspx

    Thank you

    Just what I wanted

    Peace

    You're welcome.

    Peace, love, drugs and Bobby Sherman.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uKpyUGEdFHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    -z <NoSpam@x.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wesley Vogel wrote:
    >> It is called the Taskbar notification area.
    >>
    >> Right click the Taskbar | Properties | Taskbar tab | Customize button |
    >> Highlight item | Select Always hide | OK | Apply | OK
    >>
    >> Description of Notification Area Settings
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279771
    >>
    >> Taskbar notification area overview

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_tray_taskbar_notifications_overview.mspx

    > Thank you
    >
    > Just what I wanted
    >
    > Peace

    Right click and unlock bar. Resize it by dragging top edge. Relock.

    "-z" <NoSpam@x.com> wrote in message
    >I hope I am using the right term for this: I am speaking of the area in the
    >lower right corner containing such things as the time. Anyway, how can I
    >reduce the look of what is running? Once they were in sort of a "block."
    >Now instead of being listed vertically, the listing is strickly horizontal.
    >
    > Thank you

Microsoft Windows XP