Motherboard upgrade

jkipod

Honorable
May 22, 2012
so i bought a system builders oem disk a month or 2 ago but i would like to add a core 2 duo instead of the pent d i have and to find out it cant handle it but i could upgrade the motherboard or would the windows i have installed on the hdd not recognize the new mobo would windows not accept it i don't know is a mobo upgrade possible somebody told me you can do this the system builder will but oem wont and they also told me that you can install a new mobo as long as the system builder is installed on one mobo at a time

jkipod

Honorable
May 22, 2012
1 i have both the core 2 and a mobo same socket i got it for 50 used
And 2 retail for ultimate is 340 oem system builder is 50
So it will work asw long as i have it installed on one mobo at a time

Hi :)

It WONT ACTIVATE...on another motherboard.... and its nothing to do with ONE AT A TIME....its LOCKED to the first motherboard....

All the best Brett :)

As Brett pointed out, the OEM installation is locked to the motherboard, and you can't use that installation on another different motherboard as it will fail activation and almost certainly won't run anyway. You would need to do a fresh install for your new Motherboard and it will fail activation. However, some have been successful by trying telephone activation,it MIGHT work, but legally you are not entitled, so you'll know why if refused...

jkipod

Honorable
May 22, 2012
lets say this what if i make recovery disks to re install windows later like big companies like dell or hp would that work and does anyone now how to do this , nut i am still going to try the oem disk first this will be a back up though

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Your copy of Windows is locked to the PC on which you purchased it. You cannot transfer that license to another PC.
You can upgrade any components or peripherals on your PC and keep your license intact. You can replace the motherboard with an identical model or an equivalent model from the OEM if it fails. However, if you personally replace or upgrade the motherboard, your OEM Windows license is null and void.

jkipod

Honorable
May 22, 2012
You cannot transfer that license to another PC.
You can upgrade any components or peripherals on your PC and keep your license intact. You can replace the motherboard with an identical model or an equivalent model from the OEM if it fails. However, if you personally replace or upgrade the motherboard, your OEM Windows license is null and void.

dude i just said would recovery disks work like dell ships out with my old dell i upgraded the motherboard all the time i was fine if i just used those recovery disks soo what even if i make recovery disks i still cant upgrade i know dell use's oem and i upgraded those motherboard almost 3 time if i have the disk with out the disk i bet it would not be possible so how do i make recovery disks

Its against the rules here to assist with evading buying a legal Operating system....

jkipod

Honorable
May 22, 2012
its legal i have five disk it is just that its a hobby and i just wanted a simple question answered but i don't get why retail can but i cant so sense so i guess i will have to use another disk

Its NOT legal.... and discs dont matter... its the OEM KEY that matters...

jkipod

Honorable
May 22, 2012
What isn't legal that i want to make recovery disk or that i bout a system builder to build my own pc and now wish to upgrade the motherboard but how iss the disk going to know it is new when i installed with the system builder it didnt ask to take a minute to activate it went through instal and the rebooted then i was on the desktop and the funny part was i didnt have internet and it was already genuwine so is it illigal for me to upgrade well like i said i will use another disk i mean when i bought the system builder i got 30 i sold some to other system builder for cash kept what i needed selling to other system builders is not illigale and i found a loop hole to let me use the same disk to upgrade the motherboard you should to all you have to do is either ask a local repair shop on oem systembuilder or read the liceance agreament there is a hole that the motherboard issue will fit thu so thank but i will have to make a new qustion about how to make recovery disks because i will have to format the hdd

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Are system builders allowed to create a "ghost image" CD and ship it along with the system for OEM customers?

A. No. System builders may not offer a recovery solution with removable media (a recovery CD, for example)—it is prohibited by the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. A full version of the Windows operating system is provided on a CD in the Microsoft System Builder Pack for each end user, and the CD must be transferred to the end user at the time of sale. The hologram CD acts as the system builder recovery media.

Microsoft.com

I "OWN" Computers shops and I am an OEM system builder...

I dont care how you try and wriggle out of it, or say it, what you are doing is ILLEGAL...AND IF YOU CAME IN ONE OF MY SHOPS I WOULD SHOW YOU THE DOOR....