Mouse partially working, ( system issue, not the mouse itself )

monkeywrench3d

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Hey everyone, I hope someone knows what's going on. I started having this issue with my mouse where it's partially working. I noticed this problem yesterday after playing battlefield 3.

An example, I opened up firefox, went to usual websites that I go to all the time, tried to close the window and noticed none of the buttons at the top right corner were not working, even when I moused over them they wouldn't highlight or even acknowledge the mouse. Eventually I figured out how to bypass it, I would have to open another program, minimize the new program, and then I would be able to close firefox. However if I clicked even once inside of the firefox window, lets say to type something, the three buttons up top would stop working again.

- This isn't exclusive to firefox, when I ctrl,alt, delete, even the buttons "start task manager" " log off" wouldn't recognize my mouse unless I clicked one of them one time, then the button would highlight and then I would be able to click on it.

- Just now I went to replay a video on you tube and none of the buttons work on the flash player.

- In the 3d modeling program I use " Autodesk's Maya" , none of the buttons work at all, I can't even move the camera in the view-port.

- I tried restoring the system to a previous date, one before I started to receive the issues and I still have all the same problems :(

I've scanned my system with Malware bytes anti malware and
Avira Antivirus and come up with nothing.

I built my computer, i'm not sure if that makes any difference. I would just love to get rid of this annoying issue

monkeywrench3d

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Hmm...I'm not having consistent results, I tried it in safe mode, at first when I opened firefox it wasn't working, but then all of a sudden the problem went away, so I tried some of the other programs I tried earlier however those are still having issues. :/ I have to go down to my taskbar, click an open program, switch back to the one with the issue, and then I can close the program as long as I don't click anything within the program window.
Sorry if that's a bit confusing :/

The thing is I've been using the computer for a couple of months now, didn't install any new mice or anything until I started having the issue, since I thought it may have just been a bad mouse.

monkeywrench3d

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
ya know what.... recently I've been having quite a few error's pop up saying adobe flash blah blah blah has stopped working, though I never noticed any issues when I was watching youtube or any other program that uses flash so I ignored them as ...error error messages..basically a double negative error message lol. however that's probably not the case

not sure if this has to do with the issue I'm having though

monkeywrench3d

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Tried the registry cleaner, deleted all the uneeded keys, same issue

It's looking like I might have to reinstall windows then :/

I do appreciate all your guy's help in trying to solve my issue :)

Especially you Boju

monkeywrench3d

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
ok so I completely reinstalled windows onto my computer. What i found interesting was that when tring to install it I was having some of the same mouse issues, not being abe to check boxes or anything when one of the install windows would pop up. lukily i remembered there are keboard shortcuts to get around that.

After I installed it, things seemed to be working though I still have to download all m programs. I downloaded firefox and that was working, downloaded maya but it still doesnt work at all, have to go open taskmanager to close maya, taskbar wouldnt work until I ctrl,atl,del and opened the taskmanager , then the taskbar started to work again.

Is this a hardware issue?

monkeywrench3d

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Just tried starting it in safe mode, taskbar wasn't responding, pressed ctrl atl del, the buttons showed that they were working when I clicked on them but did nothing, had to use tab to scroll through them and hit enter to shutdown my comp.

monkeywrench3d

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
hm....well.....so I probably should have done this first, I downloaded the driver for my logiteck mouse.....and now everything seems to be working....siigh, I'm relieved I fixed the problem, but feel stupid at the same time for not trying that sooner since I know get to reinstall all my programs :p Lesson Learned!!