unrecognized SCSI CD/RW

I've been using a trusty Dell XPS-R-series computer for seven years. It
won't die. I recently installed XP on a new partition to dual boot with
Win98SE. I have a SCSI Zip drive (don't ask; it's old) and a SCSI CD/RW
(Yamaha
4416S).

The Adaptec SCSI card is recognized in the new XP (SP 2) installation as is
the SCSI Zip drive, but the Yamaha burner is nowhere to be seen. Does
anyone know a way to get it recognized?

Ron Miller wrote:

> I've been using a trusty Dell XPS-R-series computer for seven years. It
> won't die. I recently installed XP on a new partition to dual boot with
> Win98SE. I have a SCSI Zip drive (don't ask; it's old) and a SCSI CD/RW
> (Yamaha
> 4416S).
>
> The Adaptec SCSI card is recognized in the new XP (SP 2) installation as is
> the SCSI Zip drive, but the Yamaha burner is nowhere to be seen. Does
> anyone know a way to get it recognized?

Remember the rules for SCSI: (1) The chain needs to be
terminated and (2) Each device in the chain, including the
adapter card, needs to have its own, unique ID number. IIRC,
the default ID for the ZIP drive is 5; make the Yamaha, 4.

I take it the scsi cdrw is recognized and works in Windows 98SE?