Pentium Dual Core or Core 2 Duo

Status
Not open for further replies.

robrich22

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
Is there much of a performance difference between

Pentium Dual Core - T2370 (1.73/533/1MB Cache)

and

Core 2 Duo - T5550 (1.83/667/2 MB Cache)..

This will be on a Dell laptop.. Can't decide if its worth spending the extra money on the processor or not.. The laptop will just be used
for word processing/internet/nothing special...

It comes with vista home premium.. Anybody think these processors are too slow to run vista, smoothly?

Thanks

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
Not too much a difference: the former proc is more or less a cut down version of the latter. Estimated speed difference is around 6%. Basic os with basic apps, one should never notice a difference. . .

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

How about for games? I'm currently looking at some laptops with those processors paired with a 8400gs mainly for older RTS games such as Age of Mythology, maybe Dawn of War, Guild Wars if possible. But I can't seem to find any performance comparison, although intel rates the t5550 as more energy efficient. Also, will it be possible to overclock from 1.83 to maybe 2.0ghz? I've never owned a laptop before but since is just such a small increment I was wondering if its possible.

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
Games? They should handle roughly equal, though the GS part is somewhat of an albatross, but still a bit better than on board graphics has been in the past.

Overclocking on a laptop is, well, not recomended; but, if you must, there is special software one can use, such as ClockGen or setfsb.

As with all, YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.