Removing Dust from VDU and computer case?

Sam

Hi,
Sorry if this is a non specific post about XP, but I wondered if anybody
could give me some advice about dust removal from PC box and Monitor.

I have got a pc that for a few months was in a reasonably dusty environment.
I wondered if it is possible to take the back off of the general monitor and
vacuum the dust out.

And to do the same with the main computer case. Is it ok to remove the dust
this way?

Thanks
Samantha

Malke

Sam wrote:
> Hi,
> Sorry if this is a non specific post about XP, but I wondered if anybody
> could give me some advice about dust removal from PC box and Monitor.
>
> I have got a pc that for a few months was in a reasonably dusty environment.
> I wondered if it is possible to take the back off of the general monitor and
> vacuum the dust out.
>
> And to do the same with the main computer case. Is it ok to remove the dust
> this way?
>
> Thanks
> Samantha

I can tell you that it is safe to open your computer case and blow out
the dust (with the computer unplugged of course!). I usually take mine
outside to do this. Get cans of compressed air from a computer or office
supply store. It isn't a good idea to use a vacuum cleaner; static
electricity can be created by doing that and static will kill your
computer components. Also those components are really delicate and you
don't want to be shoving a vacuum cleaner tool in there.

As for the monitor, I wouldn't ever open one. My understanding is that
monitors are like TV sets in that even when they are turned off and
unplugged there is still enough live electricity inside to kill you. But
I'm not an expert regarding monitors so maybe someone else will tell you
differently. If no one else posts, leave the monitor alone and live
another day.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

In news:d920ql$4ht$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk,
Sam <sam@privatemail.com> typed:

> Sorry if this is a non specific post about XP, but I wondered
> if
> anybody could give me some advice about dust removal from PC
> box and
> Monitor.
> I have got a pc that for a few months was in a reasonably dusty
> environment. I wondered if it is possible to take the back off
> of the
> general monitor and vacuum the dust out.

There is lethal high voltage inside a monitor. Opening the case
is *not* a good idea.

> And to do the same with the main computer case. Is it ok to
> remove
> the dust this way?

No. Use a can of compressed air, and blow the dust out instead.
Vacuum cleaners generate static electricity which can destroy
chips on the motherboard and other circuit boards.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Sam

Thanks Ken!

In news:d92bm5$f50$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk,
Sam <sam@privatemail.com> typed:

> Thanks Ken!

You're welcome. Glad to help.

"Malke" <notrealemail@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Sam wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Sorry if this is a non specific post about XP, but I wondered if anybody
>> could give me some advice about dust removal from PC box and Monitor.
>>
>> I have got a pc that for a few months was in a reasonably dusty
>> environment. I wondered if it is possible to take the back off of the
>> general monitor and vacuum the dust out.
>>
>> And to do the same with the main computer case. Is it ok to remove the
>> dust this way?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Samantha
> I can tell you that it is safe to open your computer case and blow out the
> dust (with the computer unplugged of course!). I usually take mine outside
> to do this. Get cans of compressed air from a computer or office supply
> store. It isn't a good idea to use a vacuum cleaner; static electricity
> can be created by doing that and static will kill your computer
> components. Also those components are really delicate and you don't want
> to be shoving a vacuum cleaner tool in there.
>
> As for the monitor, I wouldn't ever open one. My understanding is that
> monitors are like TV sets in that even when they are turned off and
> unplugged there is still enough live electricity inside to kill you. But
> I'm not an expert regarding monitors so maybe someone else will tell you
> differently. If no one else posts, leave the monitor alone and live
> another day.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you poke around inside a monitor, there
are 'caps which are capable of holding their electrical charge for
long periods, and are just waiting to discharge into the unwary ...

rgds
Li'l Roberto