How can you open .264 files from home surveillance cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Web2Guru

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
This is one of the pages that comes up when I searched for this exact problem, unfortunately none of the answers on other Closed questions were correct and many other answers didn't work for me.

I didn't try the Swann software posted here, but I did try a newer version of the same software and it didn't have an offline mode that I could find. I tried a few other things and finally found the easiest answer:

A free and simple .264 to .avi converter, worked perfectly for me:
http://www.thinkcctvsystems.com/store/cms.php?id_cms=9

Original answer (the second/updated link, not the first one on this post):
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/338727-Please-help-RAW-264-file-needs-to-be-playable#post2141694

Kithkani

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013

atrxe

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013

Any ideas on how to add a header to the file without using the utility that comes with the DVR? I would like to backup an entire day of video, my DVR is set to record on motion, resulting in 1200 separate files. I downloaded the files to my machine via FTP, but they are useless without the header.

Thanks!

litlmurphygirl

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Because of my job, I have to convert any and every type of video and audio file you can imagine. I can guarantee you, that if you download the latest version of Any Video Converter, (5.5 I think is the most current) and it's free, it will convert your .264 files to .avi, or other formats very easily. Open the program, then you can either drag your .264 files into the window to convert, or add manually by browsing. Select the type of output you want, ie. .avi, .mp4 etc, (there are LOTS!!) then click Convert Now. It's that simple. I've tried most of the others, and I have AVS as well but you have to PAY for that one! This free one is the best one I've found for most surveillance file types.

sallyann4

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

I'm sorry but AVS doesn't open .264 video files for me.
I don't deny it's a very versatile program but it won't open these particular files.

litlmurphygirl

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
No no, I'm not saying AVS opens them, I'm saying Any Video Converter.

"I can guarantee you, that if you download the latest version of Any Video Converter, (5.5 I think is the most current) and it's free, it will convert your .264 files to .avi, or other formats very easily. Open the program, then you can either drag your .264 files into the window to convert, or add manually by browsing. Select the type of output you want, ie. .avi, .mp4 etc, (there are LOTS!!) then click Convert Now.

If you are still having problems, post back. Personally Any Video Converter does more in my opinion than AVS, as I have used both in my job. I still have both pograms but Any Video Converter has so far been able to convert all of my different files to date.

Hool BeZobrazov

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014

Had a similar problem - *.264 file to open and no codec for it. This viewer (SWANN Netviewer) works just fine in offline mode not just to convert, and for playing file too. Windows XP SP 2; 1GB DDR; Pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHz. Thanks.

mandmandmbaby

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014

In the file folder, go in and click rename. When renaming you can keep the first part but remove .264 and replace with .mpeg and it will not hurt the file. Then you can open up the file in powerdvd which comes with many laptops already but can also be downloaded online. Won't hurt the files or the computer:D

Hellreign82

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

Hi

I've tried out th AVC software you've suggested as i'm also trying to make .264 file usable for my staff, however when I convert the file it doesn't come down with the audio it has in the CCTV viewer (just silent)

any ideas?

thanks

Radbuch

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Status
Not open for further replies.