BOOTMGR is missing, I can still run but, I need urgent help!

migmoto007

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Hello, I recently just installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 from my vista hard drive (full of viruses) onto another drive, now when I boot the computer up I boot it from vista now it asks me what OS would i like to use I select windows 7, everything goes fine. Now when I unplug my vista hard drive and boot from windows 7 drive it says, "BOOTMGR is missing press ctrl+alt+delete to restart." I want to vista put on another onto another computer this is why. Really it's not a problem but I'm scared the viruses are going to leak. -.-

migmoto007

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

I did that and now after the wizard it says something about please remove any media players or something like that I have nothing pluggedin except for a, webcam, keyboard/mouse, hdmi plug, and a usb power source for my speakers.

Are you able to create a Win 7 install disk? At least get one drive with a clean install. Take it you have licences for both 7 and Vista and want to install Vista on another machine, but again, a clean install is necessary... unlikely that you can shift a drive with Vista installed from one machine to another without serious grief...

migmoto007

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
No, I don't have any disks that can fit the iso onto it, i have a 2gb stick but windows 7 is 2.3gb. -.- Thats why I did it straight from vista. I'm on windows 7 now but I cannot get on without having to boot to vista and then vista asks me what os i wanna use.
Edit: Well, actually I can switch vista back and forth from machines I've been doing it for awhile now.

Guess the boot sector is written on the Vista disk which is why it won't boot from the Win 7 disk. Without installing from a DVD or USB stick i'm not sure how to get out of that!Presumably you ran Setup from the Vista disk and when asked 'Where do you want to Install Windows' you chose the new drive? Never done that, but guess it should work.