FTP server behind MN-700

I'm trying to open port 21 for my FTP server but clients
are still not being let through. I have a persistent
forwarding entry called FTP, inbound port 21, TCP,
private port 21, IP 192.168.2.75. I still have my server
set up to use DHCP, but it's the only machine on my
network so it will always just renew. Connecting clients
hang for about a minute and then give an error
of "unknown error number," and nothing happens in the FTP
console so I assume the router is the problem.

Is there something else I need to be doing?
Thanks in advance!
8 answers Last reply
More about server

    You need to setup passive ftp ports (as it is likely your clients are trying
    to establish a passive ftp connection).

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to open port 21 for my FTP server but clients
    > are still not being let through. I have a persistent
    > forwarding entry called FTP, inbound port 21, TCP,
    > private port 21, IP 192.168.2.75. I still have my server
    > set up to use DHCP, but it's the only machine on my
    > network so it will always just renew. Connecting clients
    > hang for about a minute and then give an error
    > of "unknown error number," and nothing happens in the FTP
    > console so I assume the router is the problem.
    >
    > Is there something else I need to be doing?
    > Thanks in advance!

    Is this done in the router or the server?

    Both.

    Forward ports on the server
    Then tell the FTP server program to use those ports for Passive Mode FTP and
    tell the FTP server to use your WAN ip as the passive mode ip.

    --

    > Is this done in the router or the server?

    Okay, last question: the router forces you to enter port
    ranges that are the same length. What do I put for the
    inbound port range? The server is on port 21.
    Thanks

    For passive mode?
    Anything you want.

    Doesn't matter, as long as you tell your FTP server to use those same ports
    you forwarded.

    I'd pick something sufficiently high (30000-30050 or whatever)

    --

    > Okay, last question: the router forces you to enter port
    > ranges that are the same length. What do I put for the
    > inbound port range? The server is on port 21.
    > Thanks

    I guess I don't understand how using those port numbers
    will work when the clients are trying to connect on port
    21. Anyway, I set it up like this and it doesn't work:

    FTP 10024 - 10050 TCP 192.168.2.75 10024 -
    10050

    You need both entries
    one port forward for port 21 (for connection)
    one set of port fowards for passive mode)

    --

    > I guess I don't understand how using those port numbers
    > will work when the clients are trying to connect on port
    > 21. Anyway, I set it up like this and it doesn't work:
    >
    > FTP 10024 - 10050 TCP 192.168.2.75 10024 -
    > 10050

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Still no luck. I have the following port forwards defined:
    FTP 10024 - 10050 TCP 192.168.2. 75 10024 -
    10050
    FTP 21 - 21 TCP 192.168.2. 75 21 - 21

    In my FTP server config, I have "Use passive mode IP"
    checked, and I gave it my dyndns.org hostname as the
    dynamic IP. (It specifically says it will resolve those.)
    Then below that I have the passive port range set to
    start at 10024 and end at 10050.

    Thanks again!

Routers FTP Servers Networking