Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Two IE icons on my Quick Lanch

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 11:53:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have two IE icons on my Quick Launch
They have different property pages.
I don't mean different values - the pages are different format.

Any reason to keep both?


Thanks

More about : icons quick lanch

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 3:20:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

No. Not unless you want both.

**Developer** wrote:

> I have two IE icons on my Quick Launch
> They have different property pages.
> I don't mean different values - the pages are different format.
>
> Any reason to keep both?
>
>
> Thanks
>
>
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 5:51:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

That what I don't know.
Is there any reason to have both - Their properties pages are quite very
different but they both open IE. What was the purpose of including two? Do
they have different functions?




"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:%23txgtQbdFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> No. Not unless you want both.
>
> **Developer** wrote:
>
>> I have two IE icons on my Quick Launch
>> They have different property pages.
>> I don't mean different values - the pages are different format.
>>
>> Any reason to keep both?
>>
>>
>> Thanks
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 6:06:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I noticed that one is a shortcut to a special folder, and one is a shortcut
to the executable for IE.

They both open IE. One has a "Start in" path and one doesn't

If anyone knows what MS is doing here I appreciate a little enlightenment.

Thanks



" **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message
news:%234P4lDGdFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I have two IE icons on my Quick Launch
> They have different property pages.
> I don't mean different values - the pages are different format.
>
> Any reason to keep both?
>
>
> Thanks
>
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 6:06:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

The Quick Launch is just that, a place to put Icons for a "Quick Launch"
access. If you don't want them in "QL" delete them. You may have on
thats a copy of the "IE" desktop shortcut and the Properties allow the
direct access to "Internet Options" , and the other is just a "web page"
Shortcut. But the choice as to whether they stay or go, is yours.

**Developer** wrote:

> I noticed that one is a shortcut to a special folder, and one is a shortcut
> to the executable for IE.
>
> They both open IE. One has a "Start in" path and one doesn't
>
> If anyone knows what MS is doing here I appreciate a little enlightenment.
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
> " **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message
> news:%234P4lDGdFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>
>>I have two IE icons on my Quick Launch
>>They have different property pages.
>>I don't mean different values - the pages are different format.
>>
>>Any reason to keep both?
>>
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 8:08:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You can make shortcuts to anyplace the Control Panel has applets for and
many others in windows, and use them in the run box or the address bar run
box described below here, and you can get about 2000 icons from the windows
folders as well, download folders and zip files, (a different thing) but
one convenient way to use XP is to right click task bar>toolbars, and what
you get if you slide the seam by Address in the task bar is an address bar
that nearly always doubles as a run box. It saves time and key strokes. If
you like icons you can add favicon.ico to many urls and either pull the
little favicon off, change name and give it a house in a common folder and
you'll be able to use it in the change icon dialogue box or sometimes you
have tosuspenders snap the little "e" at the upper left hand corner of the
browser window (2-3 times before dragging to desktop) to get it to come to
the desktop when the favicon won't budge,

Best,

Chad Harris



" **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message
news:e4s4QLcdFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I noticed that one is a shortcut to a special folder, and one is a shortcut
>to the executable for IE.
>
> They both open IE. One has a "Start in" path and one doesn't
>
> If anyone knows what MS is doing here I appreciate a little enlightenment.
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
> " **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message
> news:%234P4lDGdFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>I have two IE icons on my Quick Launch
>> They have different property pages.
>> I don't mean different values - the pages are different format.
>>
>> Any reason to keep both?
>>
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 10:17:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Any web page your are viewing becomes part of the system namespace. In previous versions it would be in the Explorer tree but users don't understand so it was hidden.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
=================================================
"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eCFBKaShFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> You can make shortcuts to anyplace the Control Panel has applets for and
> many others in windows, and use them in the run box or the address bar run
> box described below here, and you can get about 2000 icons from the windows
> folders as well, download folders and zip files, (a different thing) but
> one convenient way to use XP is to right click task bar>toolbars, and what
> you get if you slide the seam by Address in the task bar is an address bar
> that nearly always doubles as a run box. It saves time and key strokes. If
> you like icons you can add favicon.ico to many urls and either pull the
> little favicon off, change name and give it a house in a common folder and
> you'll be able to use it in the change icon dialogue box or sometimes you
> have tosuspenders snap the little "e" at the upper left hand corner of the
> browser window (2-3 times before dragging to desktop) to get it to come to
> the desktop when the favicon won't budge,
>
> Best,
>
> Chad Harris
>
>
>
> " **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message
> news:e4s4QLcdFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>I noticed that one is a shortcut to a special folder, and one is a shortcut
>>to the executable for IE.
>>
>> They both open IE. One has a "Start in" path and one doesn't
>>
>> If anyone knows what MS is doing here I appreciate a little enlightenment.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>>
>>
>> " **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message
>> news:%234P4lDGdFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>>I have two IE icons on my Quick Launch
>>> They have different property pages.
>>> I don't mean different values - the pages are different format.
>>>
>>> Any reason to keep both?
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 10:17:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

David when you say "system namespace" *what and where* does that mean? And
also MSFT short shrifts people tremendously in Office and Windows by making
way too many assumptions that users can't understand way too much. While
some users don't care, a lot do.

Chad Harris
_________________________________________


"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
news:%23YN4gfShFHA.3608@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Any web page your are viewing becomes part of the system namespace. In
previous versions it would be in the Explorer tree but users don't
understand so it was hidden.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
=================================================
"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:eCFBKaShFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> You can make shortcuts to anyplace the Control Panel has applets for and
> many others in windows, and use them in the run box or the address bar
> run
> box described below here, and you can get about 2000 icons from the
> windows
> folders as well, download folders and zip files, (a different thing) but
> one convenient way to use XP is to right click task bar>toolbars, and what
> you get if you slide the seam by Address in the task bar is an address bar
> that nearly always doubles as a run box. It saves time and key strokes.
> If
> you like icons you can add favicon.ico to many urls and either pull the
> little favicon off, change name and give it a house in a common folder and
> you'll be able to use it in the change icon dialogue box or sometimes you
> have tosuspenders snap the little "e" at the upper left hand corner of
> the
> browser window (2-3 times before dragging to desktop) to get it to come to
> the desktop when the favicon won't budge,
>
> Best,
>
> Chad Harris
>
>
>
> " **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message
> news:e4s4QLcdFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>I noticed that one is a shortcut to a special folder, and one is a
>>shortcut
>>to the executable for IE.
>>
>> They both open IE. One has a "Start in" path and one doesn't
>>
>> If anyone knows what MS is doing here I appreciate a little
>> enlightenment.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>>
>>
>> " **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message
>> news:%234P4lDGdFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>>I have two IE icons on my Quick Launch
>>> They have different property pages.
>>> I don't mean different values - the pages are different format.
>>>
>>> Any reason to keep both?
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 1:02:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

My Computer is an example. Forget file systems. Windows doesn't work that way - that just plumbing and won't even be used for user data in the next version - your stuff will be in a database.

To the root of your system is the Desktop, under here you have My Comp (representing the physical hardware) and the things you can see. Also is a hidden folder for search (but it is not a file at all), IE (with open pages as objects representing the web and your system interaction).

MS believe users can develop their own models of windows - they don't and WON'T prescribe a model for you. If you thing IE is a little green man they are happy. So the thing to remember is that users cannot really communicate with one another because there is no shared understanding of anything (except click). So the Windows community is composed of people each with their own made up language but using the same words but with different meanings.

Note how most MVPs here are trapped in 1980 concepts. It works for them but I can't communicate with them because I make the effort to understand the concepts (with a drip of hints from MS). This is because I wrote a program that couldn't handle long file names as I refused to use them. This forced me to start using Windows as it was designed.

Of course Windows is a mixture of many concepts. We went from application focused computing (Dos and Linux are app centred), to Document centred (Windows up till about 98), and now on to Task Centred (Help & Support, Media Player, and folder tasks in XP). So different parts come from different eras. So it's also a bastard child without any internal consistancy.

I loathe the bastards at MS.
--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
=================================================
"Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e0BzZrThFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> David when you say "system namespace" *what and where* does that mean? And
> also MSFT short shrifts people tremendously in Office and Windows by making
> way too many assumptions that users can't understand way too much. While
> some users don't care, a lot do.
>
> Chad Harris
> _________________________________________
>
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> news:%23YN4gfShFHA.3608@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Any web page your are viewing becomes part of the system namespace. In
> previous versions it would be in the Explorer tree but users don't
> understand so it was hidden.
>
> --
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> =================================================
> "Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:eCFBKaShFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> You can make shortcuts to anyplace the Control Panel has applets for and
>> many others in windows, and use them in the run box or the address bar
>> run
>> box described below here, and you can get about 2000 icons from the
>> windows
>> folders as well, download folders and zip files, (a different thing) but
>> one convenient way to use XP is to right click task bar>toolbars, and what
>> you get if you slide the seam by Address in the task bar is an address bar
>> that nearly always doubles as a run box. It saves time and key strokes.
>> If
>> you like icons you can add favicon.ico to many urls and either pull the
>> little favicon off, change name and give it a house in a common folder and
>> you'll be able to use it in the change icon dialogue box or sometimes you
>> have tosuspenders snap the little "e" at the upper left hand corner of
>> the
>> browser window (2-3 times before dragging to desktop) to get it to come to
>> the desktop when the favicon won't budge,
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Chad Harris
>>
>>
>>
>> " **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message
>> news:e4s4QLcdFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>>I noticed that one is a shortcut to a special folder, and one is a
>>>shortcut
>>>to the executable for IE.
>>>
>>> They both open IE. One has a "Start in" path and one doesn't
>>>
>>> If anyone knows what MS is doing here I appreciate a little
>>> enlightenment.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> " **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message
>>> news:%234P4lDGdFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>>>I have two IE icons on my Quick Launch
>>>> They have different property pages.
>>>> I don't mean different values - the pages are different format.
>>>>
>>>> Any reason to keep both?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Thanks
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
!