1. Click Start
2. Type in CMD into the search bar
3. Right click on CMD in the start menu and select "Run as Administrator"
4. Type this command in: netsh winsock reset
5. Reboot the computer and check connectivity
6. If you're still having problems, check out this Microsoft link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
Best to get antivirus once you get connected, AVG Free would do. If you are not going to renew your Norton subscription you're as well removing it (Uninstall a Program in Control Panel)