LunaSolaris

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
I got a little overexcited about getting a new system and bought some Muskin pc3500 RAM (2x512). That's the only part of my system I have coming as of this moment. I wanted to build an A64 system, yet I've been told that A64 boards don't play well with any memory over pc3200. So do I need to RMA my memory, build a different system, or am I okay?
Thanks.

<font color=purple> Don't look down on me because I know next to nothing - look down on me because I'm SHORT </font color=purple>

G

You can run your memory at 'underclocked' speed (3200) without any problem, your system can only be more stable because the memory is tested to run at higher speed...
yet I've been told that A64 boards don't play well with any memory over pc3200
Not exactly sure what u mean by that...Running your memory at speed over 3200 will result in an overclocked system that might be less stable maybe thats what you mean...

Anyhow keep that memory, youll have a little headroom for sonme light overclocking at if running at 3200 you might be able to lower your timmings a bit...

G

double post...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by labbbby on 03/01/04 05:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

LunaSolaris

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
Well, I was told in so many words that an A64 board wouldn't like my pc3500 RAM running at its rated speed. However, I wonder if I could slip in some slight OCing, just to attempt to get my money's worth.

<font color=purple> Don't look down on me because I know next to nothing - look down on me because I'm SHORT </font color=purple>

G

Maybe but theres nothin wrong in undercloking your memory some.
Nothing wrong with some slight Ocing neither. My advice is get the 3500 in anyway some youll get a bit of headroom to play =)

LunaSolaris

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
Yah, after some more looking around, there's plenty of people running A64 rigs with higher clocked memory.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You wouldn't be underclocking anything. PC3500 only runs stock at PC3200 speed. At PC3500 it's overclocked. This is a factory tested overclock, but it's still an overclock. The RAM in question is 5ns, rated by the chip maker at 200MHz.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>