Admin user wants privacy

Greetings.
Where is the setting in XP Pro that will allow one admin user from having
his/her folders accessed by other admin users?
Kevin

That is true by default. Remember if you are in the Admin group then that's
what you are. Admins do NOT have levels of permssions. That is what other
users such as Power Users are for.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"General Mailbox" <nospam@home.net> wrote in message
> Greetings.
> Where is the setting in XP Pro that will allow one admin user from having
> his/her folders accessed by other admin users?
> Kevin

Hi Kevin,

You cannot prevent one administrator from taking ownership of another
administrator account's files. Their levels of permissions and control are
the same.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"General Mailbox" <nospam@home.net> wrote in message
> Greetings.
> Where is the setting in XP Pro that will allow one admin user from having
> his/her folders accessed by other admin users?
> Kevin

I found that by right clicking on the folder of the current user logged on,
they can go to properties and decide to share, or not, his/her folder. By
not sharing, the other admins will get an "access denied" when attempting to
open the protected users folder. The admin that's probing the folder cannot
change this status directly. I presume one could gain access to the other's
by changing the password and logging on as that other person, but it will
be noticed by the person who was violated.
Thank you both for your response!
B.rgds,
Kevin

> Hi Kevin,
>
> You cannot prevent one administrator from taking ownership of another
> administrator account's files. Their levels of permissions and control are
> the same.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "General Mailbox" <nospam@home.net> wrote in message
> > Greetings.
> > Where is the setting in XP Pro that will allow one admin user from
having
> > his/her folders accessed by other admin users?
> > Kevin

Hi,

It's called "taking ownership", and any admin account can do it to another
admin account's files/folders. Disallowing sharing, or privatizing, is
quickly and easily overridden by this. One reason why regular users should
not be administrators.

--

> [...]

> > Greetings.
> > Where is the setting in XP Pro that will allow one admin user from
having
> > his/her folders accessed by other admin users?
> > Kevin

> Hi Kevin,
>
> You cannot prevent one administrator from taking ownership of another
> administrator account's files. Their levels of permissions and control are
> the same.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "General Mailbox" <nospam@home.net> wrote in message
> > Greetings.
> > Where is the setting in XP Pro that will allow one admin user from
having
> > his/her folders accessed by other admin users?

Hi,

All he/she would need to do is take ownership and add themselves to the
access control list. It would be transparent if the original user does not
know where to look. Instructions:
http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership

--

>I found that by right clicking on the folder of the current user logged on,
> they can go to properties and decide to share, or not, his/her folder. By
> not sharing, the other admins will get an "access denied" when attempting
> open the protected users folder. The admin that's probing the folder
> cannot
> change this status directly. I presume one could gain access to the
> other's
> by changing the password and logging on as that other person, but it will
> be noticed by the person who was violated.
> Thank you both for your response!
> B.rgds,
> Kevin

>> Hi Kevin,
>>
>> You cannot prevent one administrator from taking ownership of another
>> administrator account's files. Their levels of permissions and control
>> are
>> the same.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "General Mailbox" <nospam@home.net> wrote in message
>> > Greetings.
>> > Where is the setting in XP Pro that will allow one admin user from
> having
>> > his/her folders accessed by other admin users?
>> > Kevin

>> Hi Kevin,
>>
>> You cannot prevent one administrator from taking ownership of another
>> administrator account's files. Their levels of permissions and control
>> are
>> the same.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "General Mailbox" <nospam@home.net> wrote in message
>> > Greetings.
>> > Where is the setting in XP Pro that will allow one admin user from
> having
>> > his/her folders accessed by other admin users?
>> > Kevin

You could introduce auditing to the files/folders. If the files have been
accessed or permissions modified it will show up in the event log. And if
the logs have been deleted then you will know as well that they most likely
were trying to access the files. However if these people are just regular
users then they should not have administrative rights in the first place.
And if they are legitimate administrators they should be trustworthy enough
not to go poking around.

> Hi,
>
> All he/she would need to do is take ownership and add themselves to the
> access control list. It would be transparent if the original user does not
> know where to look. Instructions:
> http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "General Mailbox" <nospam@home.net> wrote in message
> >I found that by right clicking on the folder of the current user logged
on,
> > they can go to properties and decide to share, or not, his/her folder.
By
> > not sharing, the other admins will get an "access denied" when
attempting
> > open the protected users folder. The admin that's probing the folder
> > cannot
> > change this status directly. I presume one could gain access to the
> > other's
> > by changing the password and logging on as that other person, but it
will
> > be noticed by the person who was violated.
> > Thank you both for your response!
> > B.rgds,
> > Kevin
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Hi Kevin,
> >>
> >> You cannot prevent one administrator from taking ownership of another
> >> administrator account's files. Their levels of permissions and control
> >> are
> >> the same.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "General Mailbox" <nospam@home.net> wrote in message
> > having
> >> >

> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Hi Kevin,
> >>
> >> You cannot prevent one administrator from taking ownership of another
> >> administrator account's files. Their levels of permissions and control
> >> are
> >> the same.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "General Mailbox" <nospam@home.net> wrote in message
> > having

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:03:32 -0400, "GO"

>You could introduce auditing to the files/folders. If the files have been
>accessed or permissions modified it will show up in the event log. And if
>the logs have been deleted then you will know as well that they most likely
>were trying to access the files. However if these people are just regular
>users then they should not have administrative rights in the first place.
>And if they are legitimate administrators they should be trustworthy enough
>not to go poking around.

Doesn't EFS meet the need to keep data private, no matter how senior
the administrator? There's certainly a need for that, as *system*
administrator doesn't necessarily mean big-picture content seniority.

Who is General Failure and
why is he reading my disk?

Encrypt.