Checking Product Key before Install

June 18, 2005 10:11:02 PM

I have a used copy of XP upgrade and would like to know if it is being used
before installing it. Is there a MS site one can go to and put in product
key to see if it is already in use?
June 19, 2005 1:27:36 AM

Odds are, it's being used, that being said, can they _really_ tell. Mostly,
no. If you are wary then simply call Microsoft to be issued a new activation
key, usually they will give you one when you have the cd.
I won't go into the explanation on this but if you have a REAL LEGAL copy,
you should be fine, otherwise, go buy one.

--
~*Kim*~

MCP/MCSA/MCSE
The Canadian DOS Prompt: EH?\>

"Craig" <Craig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 5BA4678-FB35-4E4C-AC36-522567BDE5DF@microsoft.com...
>I have a used copy of XP upgrade and would like to know if it is being used
> before installing it. Is there a MS site one can go to and put in product
> key to see if it is already in use?
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 1:28:15 AM

No there isn't. All you can do is install the system and activate. If you
are refused activation, you know!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban