says one unread message when there is none

When I log onto my computer,it says I have one unread mail message in
outlook, but there are no messages. I tested the e-mail by sending myself a
message. I got that message fine and was able to read it and delete it.
However, it is still saying I have one unread mail message. How can I
find/get rid of this? It's quite annoying to see that everytime I start my
computer.

THANKS!!
4 answers Last reply
More about says unread message none

    Download and install TweakUI:

    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP (TweakUI)

    After installing, go to Start > Programs > PowerToys for Windows XP >
    TweakUI. Expand "Logon" and uncheck "Show unread mail on Welcome screen".

    Note: Unread message alerts may indicate you have unread messages not only
    in Outlook Express, but Hotmail and/or MSN email accounts as well.

    Overview of the Mail Notification Display on the Windows XP Welcome Screen
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304148

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "celticurl" wrote:

    | When I log onto my computer,it says I have one unread mail message in
    | outlook, but there are no messages. I tested the e-mail by sending myself a
    | message. I got that message fine and was able to read it and delete it.
    | However, it is still saying I have one unread mail message. How can I
    | find/get rid of this? It's quite annoying to see that everytime I start my
    | computer.
    |
    | THANKS!!

    THANK YOU!! I just got high speed internet a few days ago and the "free"
    e-mail that goes along with it. This is the only message on there because I
    don't use that address. I know it is just a welcome message from the
    company.... so I don't particularly care about reading the message. It was
    just driving me crazy that it kept telling me that and I couldn't get rid of
    it. Thanks for saving my sanity! :)

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Download and install TweakUI:
    >
    > Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP (TweakUI)
    >
    > After installing, go to Start > Programs > PowerToys for Windows XP >
    > TweakUI. Expand "Logon" and uncheck "Show unread mail on Welcome screen".
    >
    > Note: Unread message alerts may indicate you have unread messages not only
    > in Outlook Express, but Hotmail and/or MSN email accounts as well.
    >
    > Overview of the Mail Notification Display on the Windows XP Welcome Screen
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304148
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "celticurl" wrote:
    >
    > | When I log onto my computer,it says I have one unread mail message in
    > | outlook, but there are no messages. I tested the e-mail by sending myself a
    > | message. I got that message fine and was able to read it and delete it.
    > | However, it is still saying I have one unread mail message. How can I
    > | find/get rid of this? It's quite annoying to see that everytime I start my
    > | computer.
    > |
    > | THANKS!!

    Have you scrolled way way back? It might be a very old one you never read.
    Martynz

    "celticurl" <celticurl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I log onto my computer,it says I have one unread mail message in
    > outlook, but there are no messages. I tested the e-mail by sending myself
    > message. I got that message fine and was able to read it and delete it.
    > However, it is still saying I have one unread mail message. How can I
    > find/get rid of this? It's quite annoying to see that everytime I start
    > my
    > computer.
    >
    > THANKS!!

    The e-mail was just opened a few days ago when I got high speed. I am
    assuming it is a welcome message from the company, but the company says they
    can't get on to the e-mail to clean out my inbox.

    "Martyn Howells" wrote:

    > Have you scrolled way way back? It might be a very old one you never read.
    > Martynz
    >
    > "celticurl" <celticurl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I log onto my computer,it says I have one unread mail message in
    > > outlook, but there are no messages. I tested the e-mail by sending myself
    > > message. I got that message fine and was able to read it and delete it.
    > > However, it is still saying I have one unread mail message. How can I
    > > find/get rid of this? It's quite annoying to see that everytime I start
    > > my
    > > computer.
    > >
    > > THANKS!!

Computers Microsoft Windows XP