Sign in with
Your question

Wide screen monitor vs "regular" monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 25, 2006 12:54:55 AM

What's the difference between a probably 19" wide screen monitor vs a regular width 19" model as far as what content shows up on the monitors?

I know the widescreen is "wider", but does more information show up? Can you put more charts and graphics on a widescreen?

I don't know if I'm asking the right questions here. Is there actually more stuff displayed on a wide screen monitor or is it just the regular stuff "wider"

I will be using 2 or 3 monitors for displaying stock and financial trading information and charts. It's all 2D. No games or gaming. Probably on an ASUS A8N5X mobo with an AMD X2 3800 dual core, with a PNY Quadro NVS 280 mostly 2D vid card which is mostly for financial trading.
February 25, 2006 8:05:15 PM

Widescreen monitors typically use a different resolution and do show more. At least that's my experience with my widescreen laptop and my friends dell 21" widescreen. His shows a lot more than mine but mine isn't quite a "true" widescreen.
February 25, 2006 10:13:31 PM

well if you look at it in a resolution stand point, 19" widescreens have a resolution of 1440x900 while 19" normal monitors are 1280x1024. This means that widescreen monitors have a total of 1296000 pixels while normal screens have 1310720 pixels. Thats very close and probably doesn't make make much difference. The only thing i was thinking about was that with a widescreen monitor you could probably put two excel spreadsheets, for example, side by side. I'm not entirely sure what format your information would be, but if its like normal papers or excel spreadsheets i'de go for widescreen.
Related resources
February 26, 2006 12:50:58 AM

Thanks. I'd like to put 2 stock charts side by side on one monitor. And if I had 2 monitors I could put up 4 at one time. That would be very good.
May 16, 2006 9:52:32 PM

Info: for anyone reading this page if you want to compare stock info and input just having a widescreen will not keep the excel doc up. You need dual display and should look to you video card to display indepent apps. Just try it out and see once you click on a cell the other excel doc goes to the background.
May 17, 2006 2:47:24 PM

I have a Video7 19" widescreen that just arrived yesterday. Compared to my friends normal 19" i am very impressed wtih this one. I use it mainly for gaming but, with being only 15, having coursework and MSN up at the same time on one screen is a big help. With my spreadsheet coursework it really comes in handy so widescreen would be the way to go for financial business.

Oh and mine isn't much shorter than my friends but it is a lot wider, big help!
May 19, 2006 3:26:19 AM

also, if youre a gamer, and you have a widescreen for fps, its gives you a more "enhanced" feel to it
!