Remove dual boot prompt?

I have reformatted a laptop and installed WindowsXP, however I get a
dual boot prompt at startup.
1. Start Windows XP
2 Start Windows

How do I remove this text message so that the computer boots directly to
XP?

Thanks
Doug
2 answers Last reply
More about remove dual boot prompt

    Doug McKean wrote:

    > I have reformatted a laptop and installed WindowsXP, however I get a
    > dual boot prompt at startup.
    > 1. Start Windows XP
    > 2 Start Windows
    >
    > How do I remove this text message so that the computer boots directly to
    > XP?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Doug

    Start | Run | msconfig | Enter. On the boot.ini click the "Check All
    Boot Paths" button. It will offer to delete the invalid entry.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Isn't there a countdown so that if you leave it alone one or the other will
    boot? If so that's your ticket. In boot.ini a hidden system file on your
    root. You set the deafult OS to be Windows XP and you set the countdown
    time to 0. This can actually be done right from a GUI.

    Right-click My Computer | Properties | Advanced | Startup and Recovery |
    Settings |

    Default operating systems: Windows XP
    Time to display Operating Systems 0

    or you can click Edit and do it manually.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "Doug McKean" <dougmckean@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > I have reformatted a laptop and installed WindowsXP, however I get a
    > dual boot prompt at startup.
    > 1. Start Windows XP
    > 2 Start Windows
    >
    > How do I remove this text message so that the computer boots directly to
    > XP?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Doug

Laptops Dual Boot Microsoft Windows XP