Remove dual boot prompt?

I have reformatted a laptop and installed WindowsXP, however I get a
dual boot prompt at startup.
1. Start Windows XP
2 Start Windows

How do I remove this text message so that the computer boots directly to
XP?

Thanks
Doug

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Doug McKean wrote:

> I have reformatted a laptop and installed WindowsXP, however I get a
> dual boot prompt at startup.
> 1. Start Windows XP
> 2 Start Windows
>
> How do I remove this text message so that the computer boots directly to
> XP?
>
> Thanks
> Doug

Start | Run | msconfig | Enter. On the boot.ini click the "Check All
Boot Paths" button. It will offer to delete the invalid entry.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Isn't there a countdown so that if you leave it alone one or the other will
boot? If so that's your ticket. In boot.ini a hidden system file on your
root. You set the deafult OS to be Windows XP and you set the countdown
time to 0. This can actually be done right from a GUI.

Right-click My Computer | Properties | Advanced | Startup and Recovery |
Settings |

Default operating systems: Windows XP
Time to display Operating Systems 0

or you can click Edit and do it manually.

--
George Hester