Administrator password.

I want to use the widows repair concil, but it wants the administrators
password. The computer has never had one given. I tried "Administrator", and
no go. Anyone know a fix from the command line, as safe mode does not work
either.
9 answers Last reply
More about administrator password

    Jimbo wrote:

    > I want to use the widows repair concil, but it wants the administrators
    > password. The computer has never had one given. I tried "Administrator", and
    > no go. Anyone know a fix from the command line, as safe mode does not work
    > either.

    Assume it's blank and hit enter. Otherwise see this:

    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Enter don't work but Im checking out your link. All I have is the command
    line after booting from the xp cd.
    Thanks.

    Jimbo wrote:
    > I want to use the widows repair concil, but it wants the
    > administrators password. The computer has never had one given. I
    > tried "Administrator", and no go. Anyone know a fix from the command
    > line, as safe mode does not work either.

    The password is sometimes blank. So, try just pressing enter when
    you are asked for a password, it may help.

    Or, if you can get into XP, even safe mode, you can arrange to bypass the
    password by the following registry change:

    Instead, just run REGEDIT (Start à Run à Regedit)
    Navigate to

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\Recover
    yConsole
    Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    That would be cool if I could get into windows. I will see if it will run
    from the cd rom command line. Thanks.

    "MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Jimbo wrote:
    > > I want to use the widows repair concil, but it wants the
    > > administrators password. The computer has never had one given. I
    > > tried "Administrator", and no go. Anyone know a fix from the command
    > > line, as safe mode does not work either.
    >

    > The password is sometimes blank. So, try just pressing enter when
    > you are asked for a password, it may help.
    >
    > Or, if you can get into XP, even safe mode, you can arrange to bypass the
    > password by the following registry change:
    >
    > Instead, just run REGEDIT (Start à Run à Regedit)
    > Navigate to

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\Recover
    > yConsole
    > Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1
    >
    > --
    > Mike Pawlak

    Hi,

    You may be the victim of a system installed with sysprep, see:

    Cannot Log On to Recovery Console After Running Sysprep [Q308402]
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308402

    The solution is to load the the Recovery Console using the boot floppy set:

    Using the WinXP Boot floppy set:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Boot%20floppy

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Jimbo" <Jimbo@myvine.com> wrote in message
    >I want to use the widows repair concil, but it wants the administrators
    > password. The computer has never had one given. I tried "Administrator",
    > and
    > no go. Anyone know a fix from the command line, as safe mode does not work
    > either.

    Thanks Rick, but I built these machine, seems every machine I work on is
    always this way, wants a administrator password and none has been set.
    Before when this happened I booted into safe mode and set the password, then
    booted from the disk and the new password worked. Can this be done from the
    xp repair console command prompt...?
    Was it user2password or something like that...? Thanks for your time.

    > Hi,
    >
    > You may be the victim of a system installed with sysprep, see:
    >
    > Cannot Log On to Recovery Console After Running Sysprep [Q308402]
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308402
    >
    > The solution is to load the the Recovery Console using the boot floppy
    set:

    > Using the WinXP Boot floppy set:
    > http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Boot%20floppy
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Jimbo" <Jimbo@myvine.com> wrote in message
    > >I want to use the widows repair concil, but it wants the administrators
    > > password. The computer has never had one given. I tried "Administrator",
    > > and
    > > no go. Anyone know a fix from the command line, as safe mode does not
    work
    > > either.

    The password editor reports the Administrator password as blank and will not
    change it and the recovery console will not take blank or enter. Know of
    anyother ways to change the password.

    Jimbo wrote:

    > The password editor reports the Administrator password as blank and will not
    > change it and the recovery console will not take blank or enter. Know of
    > anyother ways to change the password.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jimbo wrote:
    >>

    >>>I want to use the widows repair concil, but it wants the administrators
    >>>password. The computer has never had one given. I tried "Administrator",
    >
    > and
    >
    >>>no go. Anyone know a fix from the command line, as safe mode does not
    >
    > work
    >
    >>>either.
    >>>

    >>Assume it's blank and hit enter. Otherwise see this:
    >>http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    >>
    >>--
    >>Rock
    >>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Sorry don't have any other suggestions beyond what others have posted
    here. Good luck.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hi,

    You're thinking of "control userpasswords2" but no, that won't work from the
    Recovery Console command prompt. Can you open the RC using the boot floppy
    set and no password?

    --

    > Thanks Rick, but I built these machine, seems every machine I work on is
    > always this way, wants a administrator password and none has been set.
    > Before when this happened I booted into safe mode and set the password,
    > then
    > booted from the disk and the new password worked. Can this be done from
    > the
    > xp repair console command prompt...?
    > Was it user2password or something like that...? Thanks for your time.

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> You may be the victim of a system installed with sysprep, see:
    >>
    >> Cannot Log On to Recovery Console After Running Sysprep [Q308402]
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308402
    >>
    >> The solution is to load the the Recovery Console using the boot floppy
    > set:
    >>
    >> Using the WinXP Boot floppy set:
    >> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Boot%20floppy
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Jimbo" <Jimbo@myvine.com> wrote in message
    >> >I want to use the widows repair concil, but it wants the administrators
    >> > password. The computer has never had one given. I tried
    >> > "Administrator",
    >> > and
    >> > no go. Anyone know a fix from the command line, as safe mode does not
    > work
    >> > either.

Microsoft Windows XP