Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Administrator password.

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
June 19, 2005 2:08:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I want to use the widows repair concil, but it wants the administrators
password. The computer has never had one given. I tried "Administrator", and
no go. Anyone know a fix from the command line, as safe mode does not work
either.

More about : administrator password

June 19, 2005 2:08:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Jimbo wrote:

> I want to use the widows repair concil, but it wants the administrators
> password. The computer has never had one given. I tried "Administrator", and
> no go. Anyone know a fix from the command line, as safe mode does not work
> either.
>
>

Assume it's blank and hit enter. Otherwise see this:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
June 19, 2005 11:48:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Enter don't work but Im checking out your link. All I have is the command
line after booting from the xp cd.
Thanks.

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
news:e3QiZ2HdFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Jimbo wrote:
>
> > I want to use the widows repair concil, but it wants the administrators
> > password. The computer has never had one given. I tried "Administrator",
and
> > no go. Anyone know a fix from the command line, as safe mode does not
work
> > either.
> >
> >
>
> Assume it's blank and hit enter. Otherwise see this:
> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
Related resources
June 19, 2005 12:03:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Jimbo wrote:
> I want to use the widows repair concil, but it wants the
> administrators password. The computer has never had one given. I
> tried "Administrator", and no go. Anyone know a fix from the command
> line, as safe mode does not work either.


The password is sometimes blank. So, try just pressing enter when
you are asked for a password, it may help.

Or, if you can get into XP, even safe mode, you can arrange to bypass the
password by the following registry change:

Instead, just run REGEDIT (Start à Run à Regedit)
Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\Recover
yConsole
Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1

--
Mike Pawlak
June 19, 2005 12:03:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

That would be cool if I could get into windows. I will see if it will run
from the cd rom command line. Thanks.

"MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ueddIfMdFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Jimbo wrote:
> > I want to use the widows repair concil, but it wants the
> > administrators password. The computer has never had one given. I
> > tried "Administrator", and no go. Anyone know a fix from the command
> > line, as safe mode does not work either.
>
>
> The password is sometimes blank. So, try just pressing enter when
> you are asked for a password, it may help.
>
> Or, if you can get into XP, even safe mode, you can arrange to bypass the
> password by the following registry change:
>
> Instead, just run REGEDIT (Start à Run à Regedit)
> Navigate to
>
>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\Recover
> yConsole
> Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1
>
> --
> Mike Pawlak
>
>
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 12:14:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

You may be the victim of a system installed with sysprep, see:

Cannot Log On to Recovery Console After Running Sysprep [Q308402]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308402

The solution is to load the the Recovery Console using the boot floppy set:

Using the WinXP Boot floppy set:
http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Boot%20floppy

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jimbo" <Jimbo@myvine.com> wrote in message
news:u2gIkxHdFHA.3932@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I want to use the widows repair concil, but it wants the administrators
> password. The computer has never had one given. I tried "Administrator",
> and
> no go. Anyone know a fix from the command line, as safe mode does not work
> either.
>
>
June 19, 2005 12:14:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks Rick, but I built these machine, seems every machine I work on is
always this way, wants a administrator password and none has been set.
Before when this happened I booted into safe mode and set the password, then
booted from the disk and the new password worked. Can this be done from the
xp repair console command prompt...?
Was it user2password or something like that...? Thanks for your time.


"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:#ZLx0hMdFHA.3012@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> You may be the victim of a system installed with sysprep, see:
>
> Cannot Log On to Recovery Console After Running Sysprep [Q308402]
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308402
>
> The solution is to load the the Recovery Console using the boot floppy
set:
>
> Using the WinXP Boot floppy set:
> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Boot%20floppy
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Jimbo" <Jimbo@myvine.com> wrote in message
> news:u2gIkxHdFHA.3932@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >I want to use the widows repair concil, but it wants the administrators
> > password. The computer has never had one given. I tried "Administrator",
> > and
> > no go. Anyone know a fix from the command line, as safe mode does not
work
> > either.
> >
> >
>
>
June 19, 2005 1:09:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

The password editor reports the Administrator password as blank and will not
change it and the recovery console will not take blank or enter. Know of
anyother ways to change the password.
Thanks.

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
news:e3QiZ2HdFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Jimbo wrote:
>
> > I want to use the widows repair concil, but it wants the administrators
> > password. The computer has never had one given. I tried "Administrator",
and
> > no go. Anyone know a fix from the command line, as safe mode does not
work
> > either.
> >
> >
>
> Assume it's blank and hit enter. Otherwise see this:
> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
June 19, 2005 2:12:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Jimbo wrote:

> The password editor reports the Administrator password as blank and will not
> change it and the recovery console will not take blank or enter. Know of
> anyother ways to change the password.
> Thanks.
>
> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> news:e3QiZ2HdFHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>
>>Jimbo wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I want to use the widows repair concil, but it wants the administrators
>>>password. The computer has never had one given. I tried "Administrator",
>
> and
>
>>>no go. Anyone know a fix from the command line, as safe mode does not
>
> work
>
>>>either.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>Assume it's blank and hit enter. Otherwise see this:
>>http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Sorry don't have any other suggestions beyond what others have posted
here. Good luck.


--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 5:56:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

You're thinking of "control userpasswords2" but no, that won't work from the
Recovery Console command prompt. Can you open the RC using the boot floppy
set and no password?

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jimbo" <Jimbo@myvine.com> wrote in message
news:o EDB65MdFHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Thanks Rick, but I built these machine, seems every machine I work on is
> always this way, wants a administrator password and none has been set.
> Before when this happened I booted into safe mode and set the password,
> then
> booted from the disk and the new password worked. Can this be done from
> the
> xp repair console command prompt...?
> Was it user2password or something like that...? Thanks for your time.
>
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:#ZLx0hMdFHA.3012@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> You may be the victim of a system installed with sysprep, see:
>>
>> Cannot Log On to Recovery Console After Running Sysprep [Q308402]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308402
>>
>> The solution is to load the the Recovery Console using the boot floppy
> set:
>>
>> Using the WinXP Boot floppy set:
>> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Boot%20floppy
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,
>>
>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Jimbo" <Jimbo@myvine.com> wrote in message
>> news:u2gIkxHdFHA.3932@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> >I want to use the widows repair concil, but it wants the administrators
>> > password. The computer has never had one given. I tried
>> > "Administrator",
>> > and
>> > no go. Anyone know a fix from the command line, as safe mode does not
> work
>> > either.
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>
>
!