Is Windows 7 64bit necessary for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elrifico

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
I am thinking of building A gaming computer. But I am wondering if windows 7 64 bit is needed for gaming because the computer I have now uses windows 7 32 bit. Does it make a big difference? It would be nice not to spend an extra 100$

Solution
To install Windows 7 using the Custom option and formatting the hard disk < must be done to go from 32 to 64 bit

To format your hard disk during Windows 7 installation, you'll need to start, or boot, your computer using the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally, insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, and then shut down your computer.

Restart your computer.

Press any key when prompted, and then follow the instructions that appear.

On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and then click Next.

If the Install Windows page doesn't appear, and you're not asked to press any key, you might need...

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
the only advantage of a 64 bit OS in gaming is the posibility of using more than 3 GB of ram. With a 32 bit Windows the max ram usable is 3 GB. Modern games tend to use alot more ram, i.e BF 3 can use alone 3 -4 GB if the ram is there...

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
the one benefit that comes to mind immediately is the ability to use more than 3.25 gigs of ram with 64 bit. someone else might have more reasons than that, but that will help with games. also why does it cost you an extra 100?

elrifico

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012

Because If im building a new PC i will need to buy windows for it. On newegg.ca windows 7 64 bit is 100$

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
well if youre building a new computer you will likely have to buy a new os anyways, unlless by some chance the thing that mi1ez suggested works. i thought you were saying that 64 bit would cost 100 more than 32 bit.

elrifico

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Well If I can I would like to use the hard drive from this computer along with DVD drive. If i do so it would save me from buying A new Hard drive, OS and DVD drive so it would save me almost 200$.

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
well unfortunately if you have an oem version of windows it is locked to the motherboard on which it was installed originally. in some cases you can get it to work, but i wouldnt put my money on it. you can reuse the hard drive and dvd drive though, and that can save you a good bit

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Your copy of Windows is locked to the PC on which you purchased it. You cannot transfer that license to another PC.
You can upgrade any components or peripherals on your PC and keep your license intact.You can replace the motherboard with an identical model or an equivalent model from the OEM if it fails.However, if you personally replace or upgrade the motherboard, your OEM Windows license is null and void.

OEM ^

elrifico

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
You can use the Upgrade option during Windows 7 installation, which preserves your files, settings, and programs, only if you're currently running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista and you want to upgrade to the 32-bit version of Windows 7.

That was from a frequently asked questions guide. I think this computer originally had windows vista 32 bit on it and got upgraded to windows 7 32 bit. This wasn't originally my computer to start with.

carowden

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
but the product key stayed the same, and thats whats locked to your motherboard. when you plug it in it will notice a hardware change. im not saying it absolutely wont work, but i doubt it will. you can try it if you please, but it would probably just be better overall to get the 64 bit if youre going to do significant amounts of gaming on there

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
To install Windows 7 using the Custom option and formatting the hard disk < must be done to go from 32 to 64 bit

To format your hard disk during Windows 7 installation, you'll need to start, or boot, your computer using the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally, insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, and then shut down your computer.

Restart your computer.

Press any key when prompted, and then follow the instructions that appear.

On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and then click Next.

If the Install Windows page doesn't appear, and you're not asked to press any key, you might need to change some system settings. To learn how to do this, see Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.

On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.

On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, click Drive options (advanced).

Click the partition that you want to change, click the formatting option you want to perform, and then follow the instructions.

When you've finished formatting, click Next.

Follow the instructions to finish installing Windows 7, which include naming your computer and setting up an initial user account.

microsoft.com

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.