Computer does not recognize DVD's

When I want to watch a DVD on my computer, the computer doesnt see the DVD. I
went to my computer and it doesnt see it either. Is there a way to get the
disk running so the computer will see it? I have a Vaio labtop.
Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about computer recognize

    What DVD decoding software do you have installed?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Tyson" <Tyson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I want to watch a DVD on my computer, the computer doesnt see the
    > DVD. I
    > went to my computer and it doesnt see it either. Is there a way to get the
    > disk running so the computer will see it? I have a Vaio labtop.
    > Thanks

    A CD drive will not see a DVD disk. What is installed on
    your computer? Also you need software to watch a Hollywood
    DVD movie even if you have a DVD drive.

    some support

    "Tyson" <Tyson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | When I want to watch a DVD on my computer, the computer
    doesnt see the DVD. I
    | went to my computer and it doesnt see it either. Is there
    a way to get the
    | disk running so the computer will see it? I have a Vaio
    labtop.
    | Thanks

    I have a DVD RW Drive. I also have Intervideo windvd 5 to play the dvds. I
    know it can play them because ive done it before also. Before the computer
    would see every one of the dvds. Now about 85% of the dvds wont show up at
    all. So now I cant watch them.
    Thanks

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > A CD drive will not see a DVD disk. What is installed on
    > your computer? Also you need software to watch a Hollywood
    > DVD movie even if you have a DVD drive.

    > some support
    > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >

    > "Tyson" <Tyson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | When I want to watch a DVD on my computer, the computer
    > doesnt see the DVD. I
    > | went to my computer and it doesnt see it either. Is there
    > a way to get the
    > | disk running so the computer will see it? I have a Vaio
    > labtop.
    > | Thanks

    It could be dirty, misaligned, software corrupted. You'll
    just have to check and eliminate each possible cause, one at
    a time.

    Uninstall and reinstall the drive and the software.

    some support

    |I have a DVD RW Drive. I also have Intervideo windvd 5 to
    play the dvds. I
    | know it can play them because ive done it before also.
    Before the computer
    | would see every one of the dvds. Now about 85% of the dvds
    wont show up at
    | all. So now I cant watch them.
    | Thanks
    |
    | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    |
    | > A CD drive will not see a DVD disk. What is installed
    on
    | > your computer? Also you need software to watch a
    Hollywood
    | > DVD movie even if you have a DVD drive.
    | >

    | > --
    | > some support
    | > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    | >

    | > "Tyson" <Tyson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message

    | > | When I want to watch a DVD on my computer, the
    computer
    | > doesnt see the DVD. I
    | > | went to my computer and it doesnt see it either. Is
    there
    | > a way to get the
    | > | disk running so the computer will see it? I have a
    Vaio
    | > labtop.
    | > | Thanks

    WinDVD is by Cyberlink Corp. Intervideo is another DVD movie viewing
    software, usually free with commercial movie DVDs. Maybe the two installed
    is what's causing the problem.
    And DVD, like CD, devices need intermittent cleaning of the laser lense.
    "Tyson" <Tyson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a DVD RW Drive. I also have Intervideo windvd 5 to play the dvds. I
    > know it can play them because ive done it before also. Before the computer
    > would see every one of the dvds. Now about 85% of the dvds wont show up at
    > all. So now I cant watch them.
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    >
    > > A CD drive will not see a DVD disk. What is installed on
    > > your computer? Also you need software to watch a Hollywood
    > > DVD movie even if you have a DVD drive.
    > >

    > > --
    > > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    > > some support
    > > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    > >

    > > "Tyson" <Tyson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > | When I want to watch a DVD on my computer, the computer
    > > doesnt see the DVD. I
    > > | went to my computer and it doesnt see it either. Is there
    > > a way to get the
    > > | disk running so the computer will see it? I have a Vaio
    > > labtop.
    > > | Thanks

    Ill try
    Thanks

    "Lil' Dave" wrote:

    > WinDVD is by Cyberlink Corp. Intervideo is another DVD movie viewing
    > software, usually free with commercial movie DVDs. Maybe the two installed
    > is what's causing the problem.
    > And DVD, like CD, devices need intermittent cleaning of the laser lense.
    > "Tyson" <Tyson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a DVD RW Drive. I also have Intervideo windvd 5 to play the dvds. I
    > > know it can play them because ive done it before also. Before the computer
    > > would see every one of the dvds. Now about 85% of the dvds wont show up at
    > > all. So now I cant watch them.
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    > >
    > > > A CD drive will not see a DVD disk. What is installed on
    > > > your computer? Also you need software to watch a Hollywood
    > > > DVD movie even if you have a DVD drive.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > > > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    > > > some support
    > > > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    > > >

    > > > "Tyson" <Tyson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > doesnt see the DVD. I