Solved

Windows not booting anything!

I've recently built a new computer, and planned to use my old hard drive with windows 7 on it.

Unfortunatly, now it doesn't work

. It freezes just before the splash screen on normal boot.
. when i try to repair it the monitor goes black, but computer is still running.
. safe mode had the same problem as startup repair

I've tried reseating the connectors to the hard drive, reconnecting all the power cables, using a different power supply and continuesly rebooting but nothing makes a difference.

I also don't have the recovery disks ect. because i bought my old computer second hand and the previous owner lost them.

Any ideas?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows booting anything
  1. its not possible unless both computers have the same hardware, particularly the hdd controller.

if you were to get recovery software like acronis you can accomplish this. acronis has a restore to dissimilar hardware feature that does exactly what you are trying to do.
  2. Actually it is possible. I took a laptop hard drive, stuck it in my desktop, booted into safe mode, replaced a few drivers and good to go. This was just to recover some data, but I was very happy that it worked. This is just a thought, but have you checked in the BIOS whether the old drive was running AHCI and your new system is set to ATA mode?
  3. I'm not amazingly good at all the technical stuff but i did check. I has to use an adapter becaues my new mobo doesnt have an IDE connection. When i checked it was in IDE MODE, i changed it to AHCI but it hasn't made a difference.
  4. Best answer
    professorG said:
    I'm not amazingly good at all the technical stuff but i did check. I has to use an adapter becaues my new mobo doesnt have an IDE connection. When i checked it was in IDE MODE, i changed it to AHCI but it hasn't made a difference.

If you want this working properly, get a new drive, install Windows 7 on that clean. If it's a pre-built system, the vendor should be able to send you a restore disk for maybe $30 or so.
  5. Best answer selected by ProfessorG.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Hard Drives Windows 7