AMD Offcially launches PUMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
It's more than processor vs processor. PUMA is a platform with different Griffin (or Turion Ultra) processors available. It's using the 780m motherboard to utilize integrated or discrete graphics and the latest news is that they've developed an external PCIe interface so you can plug in your own external video card. The big deal here is that it actually works and is moving into a readily available consumer product. I believe Toshiba is the first to market with the platform so (hopefully) we'll soon start to see some reviews and real world comparisons. It's going to be interesting to see just where the platform and itinerations fit in the market and then how Intel shapes up with their Montividea platform.
From what I understand it's not supposed to be a CPU shootout but more of a complete system performance and energy use issue.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
That review doesn't exactly paint a glowing picture. Battery life is only average. Number crunching benchmarks are less than stellar but the graphics tests show some promise. Crossfire didn't work for their test sample so will wait to see power consumption and performance tests in that area. Wondering if there have been any improvements in crossfire capability between IGP and discreet. Last I heard, it was limited to the 3450 chip. With the external PCIe bus, wondering if 3800 crossfire will be possible.

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
Interesting. . . I'm still not that enamored with AMD's mobile techology-- one would think they'd be better at leveraging thier TDP advantage (performace per watt, iff you will), but alas, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.