Cannot format C drive

Hi,

Due to virus attack, I want to format C drive (currently in NTFS format) and
reinstall windows xp. After I booted up the PC using the XP reinstallation
CD in the CD Rom drive, I chose the repair console to format the C drive.
The command I used was

D:\>format c: /fs:ntfs

It gave me a waring saying the data on drive C will be lost and asked me if
I want to proceed. I typed y for yes. It gave me D:\> right away.

But the contents in C drive is still there.

How can I format C drive? BTW I tried to delele a folder under C using
del, but it says Access is denied. Also I typed help but did not see fdisk.

Thanks a lot.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

§Chrissi§ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Due to virus attack, I want to format C drive (currently in NTFS format) and
> reinstall windows xp. After I booted up the PC using the XP reinstallation
> CD in the CD Rom drive, I chose the repair console to format the C drive.
> The command I used was
>
> D:\>format c: /fs:ntfs
>
> It gave me a waring saying the data on drive C will be lost and asked me if
> I want to proceed. I typed y for yes. It gave me D:\> right away.
>
> But the contents in C drive is still there.
>
> How can I format C drive? BTW I tried to delele a folder under C using
> del, but it says Access is denied. Also I typed help but did not see fdisk.
>
> Thanks a lot.

You do the format as part of the clean installation. No need to try
from the recovery console. Don't take the first R for repair. Then
choose a new installation. The key is to delete the current partition.
See these directions:

Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

In news:e318SKJdFHA.3012@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
§Chrissi§ <anubisofthydeath@hotmail.com> replied with a ;-)
> Hi,
>
> Due to virus attack, I want to format C drive (currently in NTFS
> format) and reinstall windows xp. After I booted up the PC using the
> XP reinstallation CD in the CD Rom drive, I chose the repair console
> to format the C drive. The command I used was
>
> D:\>format c: /fs:ntfs
>
> It gave me a waring saying the data on drive C will be lost and asked
> me if I want to proceed. I typed y for yes. It gave me D:\> right
> away.
> But the contents in C drive is still there.
>
> How can I format C drive? BTW I tried to delele a folder under C
> using del, but it says Access is denied. Also I typed help but did
> not see fdisk.
> Thanks a lot.

Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
Format XP
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com

In news:e318SKJdFHA.3012@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
§Chrissi§ <anubisofthydeath@hotmail.com> replied with a ;-)
> Hi,
>
> Due to virus attack, I want to format C drive (currently in NTFS
> format) and reinstall windows xp. After I booted up the PC using the
> XP reinstallation CD in the CD Rom drive, I chose the repair console
> to format the C drive. The command I used was
>
> D:\>format c: /fs:ntfs
>
> It gave me a waring saying the data on drive C will be lost and asked
> me if I want to proceed. I typed y for yes. It gave me D:\> right
> away.
> But the contents in C drive is still there.
>
> How can I format C drive? BTW I tried to delele a folder under C
> using del, but it says Access is denied. Also I typed help but did
> not see fdisk.
> Thanks a lot.

Set your clock or time zone settings! You are posting in the future.
And for the uninformed, it doesn't matter where the poster is located, their
settings are wrong.

--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com

Hi,

I followed the article to install the window xp. After step

10b If the hard drive or partition has a previous installation of XP you
want to remove, choose to delete the partition by pressing "D".

I get a message saying "Setup is unable to perform the request on the
selected partition. This partition contains the temporary setup files that
are required to complete the installation"

Regarding the next reply, BTW, my time zone is OK. The time on the PC is
10:56 AM

Thanks.