cannot find autocheck.exe

I have not made anychanges to my system last weekend I could not get my pc to
shutdown. I finally got it to reboot, but now I get a blue screen with the
message "cannot find autocheck.exe". The cystem continues to cycle trying to
boot or just shuts down. When i try booting using the windows XP disk, the
same thing happens; as soon as it tries to load windows, it gets stuck in a
boot up cycle or shuts down. I am at a loss for a fix, so any help is needed
and appreciated

"the crabby one"

Hi Crushstation,

It happens because there is a dirty bit set and the system is trying to run
a disk check (chkdsk.exe). Chkdsk requires support from autochk.exe (not
autocheck - if this is legitimately the name you are seeing then you may
instead have a virus) which is located in the C:\Windows\system32 folder,
but it just doesn't know that.

First, access your system BIOS and change the boot order to load the CD
first, then boot from the WinXP CD and load the Recovery Console by hitting
'r' when prompted. From the command prompt, run "chkdsk C: /r" (without the
quotes of course), and when prompted for the location of autochk, indicate
C:\Windows\system32. Let this run to completion (may take considerable
time), then exit and restart the system.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Crushstation" <Crushstation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have not made anychanges to my system last weekend I could not get my pc
> shutdown. I finally got it to reboot, but now I get a blue screen with the
> message "cannot find autocheck.exe". The cystem continues to cycle trying
> boot or just shuts down. When i try booting using the windows XP disk, the
> same thing happens; as soon as it tries to load windows, it gets stuck in
> boot up cycle or shuts down. I am at a loss for a fix, so any help is
> needed
> and appreciated
>
> "the crabby one"

"Crushstation" <Crushstation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have not made anychanges to my system last weekend I could not get my pc
> shutdown. I finally got it to reboot, but now I get a blue screen with the
> message "cannot find autocheck.exe". The cystem continues to cycle trying
> boot or just shuts down. When i try booting using the windows XP disk, the
> same thing happens; as soon as it tries to load windows, it gets stuck in
> boot up cycle or shuts down. I am at a loss for a fix, so any help is
> needed
> and appreciated
>
> "the crabby one"

Read this MS KB article

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831426

rgds
Li'l Roberto

"Crushstation" <Crushstation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have not made anychanges to my system last weekend I could not get my pc
> shutdown. I finally got it to reboot, but now I get a blue screen with the
> message "cannot find autocheck.exe". The cystem continues to cycle trying
> boot or just shuts down. When i try booting using the windows XP disk, the
> same thing happens; as soon as it tries to load windows, it gets stuck in
> boot up cycle or shuts down. I am at a loss for a fix, so any help is
needed
> and appreciated
>
> "the crabby one"

Google lists almost 300 hits for "autocheck.exe". Some suggest that
the problem could be solved by booting into "Last known good
configuration".