Closed

cannot copy driver.cab

June 19, 2005 3:04:03 AM

when a friend of mine reinstall WinXP, during the setup process she got the
above message, even after hitting enter to retry she wasn't able to copy it
so she skipped the file and the rest of the install went smoothly.

but not she can't access the internet, the error message she gets when trying
to run her providers software, (Road Runner) is that she doesn't have a
Network
Interface card. could this be because of not being able to copy driver.cab,
if
so what can she do to get the file on her system?

oh yes, she has tried to install WinXP a couple of times and got the same
message.

thanks,

Steve

More about : copy driver cab

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 12:03:04 PM

Hi,

She should be able to copy driver.cab from the I386 folder on the CD to the
C:\Windows\Driver_Cache\I386 folder on the installation right from Windows
Explorer. And, yes, it's quite likely that part of her problems with
installing the ISP software extend from this, they are looking for a network
card that the system does not recognize as being installed since it cannot
find the needed driver(s) from the driver.cab file to do so.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Steve" <speedo@whro.net> wrote in message
> when a friend of mine reinstall WinXP, during the setup process she got
> the
> above message, even after hitting enter to retry she wasn't able to copy
> it
> so she skipped the file and the rest of the install went smoothly.
>
> but not she can't access the internet, the error message she gets when
> trying
> to run her providers software, (Road Runner) is that she doesn't have a
> Network
> Interface card. could this be because of not being able to copy
> driver.cab,
> if
> so what can she do to get the file on her system?
>
> oh yes, she has tried to install WinXP a couple of times and got the same
> message.
>
> thanks,
>
> Steve
June 20, 2005 10:15:02 AM

hi Rick,

that sounds great if she is able to copy the file and put it in the
C:\Windows\Driver_Cache\I386 folder. now my question is what will she have
to do to expand the files/drivers she needs or will this happen when ISP
software is looking for her Network Interface card? I hope that makes sense.

thanks again,

Steve
June 20, 2005 2:54:34 PM

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but after the files are copied, on
reboot, the computer should come up with the "found new hardware dialog
box," in this case her Nic card.
Hi Rick,
Treeman

--
Treeman

June 20, 2005 11:20:08 PM

Yep, essentially this is correct. The card should be installed from here -
though you may want to just force the driver installation from the
properties of the nic in device manager.

--

"Treeman" <Treeman.1qxopk@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

> Don't mean to hijack the thread, but after the files are copied, on
> reboot, the computer should come up with the "found new hardware dialog
> box," in this case her Nic card.
> Hi Rick,
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

August 16, 2009 8:04:58 AM

i think u have acer laptop...becoz one of my frnd having the same problem
Anonymous
September 13, 2009 12:02:16 AM

if you have these problems, grab a laptop or computer with internet and google the files its saying can't be installed - most likely they will be video - audio - network - dail up modem or fax modem drivers...windows does not need these to install XP...you can skip these and download later...also you really don't need driver.cab - all that is, is a cabinet file full of drivers for your computer (usally outdated or drivers you'll never need) just skip it.....(after XP installs you will notice the drivers you need by going to...my computer..right click/manage/device manager...now you will see a yellow ? mark..those are the drivers that didnt get install because of the .cab file you skipped....download them by hand
TO DO SO....
get on a computer with internet
go to your computers manufacture site ex. Dell - http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx
Download the drivers you need for your model...it helps if you use the service code option, because that will link you to the exact driver downloads you need...download your video, network, audio, and system bios drivers or whatever you think you'll need...then burn those driver files to a cd-r, then insert into the computer that needs those drivers...and install

and presto your computer is fixed, i hoped this helped
any questions send me a email....adio_hollister@hotmail.com - with over 5 years of computer experience, im sure ill be able to help...ive had to do this once for my DELL Dimension E310 and so far no problems, that was 2 years ago
April 11, 2013 11:17:28 PM

cheange the Ram and Os CD..................Manoj chennai(Cyyber world)
April 11, 2013 11:19:27 PM

steve said:

when a friend of mine reinstall WinXP, during the setup process she got the
above message, even after hitting enter to retry she wasn't able to copy it
so she skipped the file and the rest of the install went smoothly.

but not she can't access the internet, the error message she gets when trying
to run her providers software, (Road Runner) is that she doesn't have a
Network
Interface card. could this be because of not being able to copy driver.cab,
if
so what can she do to get the file on her system?

oh yes, she has tried to install WinXP a couple of times and got the same
message.

thanks,

Steve

April 11, 2013 11:19:34 PM

cheange the Ram and Os CD..................Manoj chennai(Cyyber world)
April 11, 2013 11:20:05 PM

cheange the Ram and Os CD..................Manoj chennai(Cyyber world)
!