I have a Dell Inspiron 8600. Last night, the green light on my power brick wouldn't light up and it's obviously not charging my laptop battery now. I've fiddled with it a bit. I unplugged the cable that comes off the brick and put it back on, etc. Sometimes it comes on, but then stops a few seconds later.
Anyway, the battery is TYPE 8n544 (Dell LBL P/N: 9x472 a00). The charger that came with it is a Dell aa22850. It's output is 19.5V and 3.34A for 65 watts total. Since that may be or is toast, I found another power supply at my work with the same tip. It is from another laptop and has an output of 19V and 4.74A for a total of 90 watts. I'm not an electrician and don't really know the impact that can make. I don't want to plug it in and ruin my laptop. Is the difference in amps and 25 watt difference too much?
Nope. should be fine. The computer will only draw the current required. The other way around is bad, well kinda. If you were to plug the 65 watt into, say, an 8200, you'll get a nice message stating the power supply is too weak to charge the battery.
Yeah, well. . . . if it does, I'll be the idiot, thanks. No seriously if you look for a replacement adapter for the 8600 that is the specs that come up, 90 watts. . . and that's what I've always used for all my Dells that use that stupid propritey plug design (Inspirons 2500, 8100 and 8200 and Latitude CPiX), so. . . cross 'em toes.