PCIE Graphics Card Question

Hey guys,

I would like to get a Nvidia Geforce 6600 to upgrade my computer to
play Battlefield 2 and other future games and I was wondering if I
should get a pcie or agp card.

My question is what do I need if I get a pcie card? Do I need a
compatible motherboard?

- Video Cards
Battlefield 2 only supports the following video cards:
Radeon X700 (PCIe)
Radeon X600 (PCIe)
GeForce 6600 (PCIe)
GeForce PCX 5900 (PCIe)
GeForce 5800 Series (AGP)
ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition
ATI Radeon X800 PRO
ATI Radeon 9800 Series
ATI Radeon 9600 Series
ATI Radeon 9550 (RV350LX)
ATI Radeon 9500 / 9700 Series
ATI Radeon 8500 Series
ATI Radeon X300 Series
NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra
NVidia GeForce 6800 GT
NVidia GeForce 6800
NVidia GeForce FX 5950 Series
NVidia GeForce FX 5900 Series
NVidia GeForce FX 5700 Series

And I was going to get a 256mb card from this company...

http://www.globalgroup.net.au/gloshop/customer/home.php?cat=424

Is pcie the way of the future?

Thanks guys,

Julie.
5 answers Last reply
More about pcie graphics card question

    Hi,

    > My question is what do I need if I get a pcie card? Do I need a compatible
    > motherboard?

    PCIe is a relatively new standard in video cards, and you will need a
    motherboard that supports it and has the proper slot for it. A PCIe card
    will not fit in a regular PCI slot. If you post back with the make/model of
    your motherboard or system, we should be able to tell you what type of card
    your system will support.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Aaurora" <what.about.breakfast@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hey guys,
    >
    > I would like to get a Nvidia Geforce 6600 to upgrade my computer to
    > play Battlefield 2 and other future games and I was wondering if I
    > should get a pcie or agp card.
    >
    > My question is what do I need if I get a pcie card? Do I need a
    > compatible motherboard?
    >
    > - Video Cards
    > Battlefield 2 only supports the following video cards:
    > Radeon X700 (PCIe)
    > Radeon X600 (PCIe)
    > GeForce 6600 (PCIe)
    > GeForce PCX 5900 (PCIe)
    > GeForce 5800 Series (AGP)
    > ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition
    > ATI Radeon X800 PRO
    > ATI Radeon 9800 Series
    > ATI Radeon 9600 Series
    > ATI Radeon 9550 (RV350LX)
    > ATI Radeon 9500 / 9700 Series
    > ATI Radeon 8500 Series
    > ATI Radeon X300 Series
    > NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra
    > NVidia GeForce 6800 GT
    > NVidia GeForce 6800
    > NVidia GeForce FX 5950 Series
    > NVidia GeForce FX 5900 Series
    > NVidia GeForce FX 5700 Series
    >
    > And I was going to get a 256mb card from this company...
    >
    > http://www.globalgroup.net.au/gloshop/customer/home.php?cat=424
    >
    > Is pcie the way of the future?
    >
    > Thanks guys,
    >
    > Julie.

    Thanks for your help so far.

    I have an Intel 848P motherboard so I don't think it's PCI compatible.

    I guess I need to know if I really need to get this pcie card and maybe
    I could get a Nvidia 6600 agp. The reason I ask is that the Battlefield
    2 requirements for the 6600 states...

    GeForce 6600 (PCIe)

    so maybe it is pcie only or agp and pcie.

    I might email the bf2 support people and see if they know if you guys
    aren't sure.

    It's a toughie!

    Thanks!

    Hi,

    Intel 848P is the chipset on the motherboard, not the motherboard itself. Do
    not confuse PCI and PCIe - they are different standards. PCIe is new, PCI
    has been around for many years. AGP is a modified type of PCI slot, and
    again which your system supports depends on the motherboard.

    --

    > Thanks for your help so far.
    >
    > I have an Intel 848P motherboard so I don't think it's PCI compatible.
    >
    > I guess I need to know if I really need to get this pcie card and maybe
    > I could get a Nvidia 6600 agp. The reason I ask is that the Battlefield
    > 2 requirements for the 6600 states...
    >
    > GeForce 6600 (PCIe)
    >
    > so maybe it is pcie only or agp and pcie.
    >
    > I might email the bf2 support people and see if they know if you guys
    > aren't sure.
    >
    > It's a toughie!
    >
    > Thanks!

    "Aaurora" <what.about.breakfast@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hey guys,
    >
    > I would like to get a Nvidia Geforce 6600 to upgrade my computer to
    > play Battlefield 2 and other future games and I was wondering if I
    > should get a pcie or agp card.
    >
    > My question is what do I need if I get a pcie card? Do I need a
    > compatible motherboard?
    > Is pcie the way of the future?
    >
    > Thanks guys,
    >
    > Julie.

    Yes you will need a motherboard with PCIE slot as it is a different
    standard to AGP, if you are a serious gamer consider getting a MoBo
    with dual PCIE slots.

    rgds
    Li'l Roberto

    Aaurora Wrote:
    > Thanks for your help so far.
    >
    > I have an Intel 848P motherboard so I don't think it's PCI compatible.
    >
    > I guess I need to know if I really need to get this pcie card and
    > maybe
    > I could get a Nvidia 6600 agp. The reason I ask is that the
    > Battlefield
    > 2 requirements for the 6600 states...
    >
    > GeForce 6600 (PCIe)
    >
    > so maybe it is pcie only or agp and pcie.
    >
    > I might email the bf2 support people and see if they know if you guys
    > aren't sure.
    >
    > It's a toughie!
    >
    > Thanks!

    The 6600pcie is the only nvidia series model thats supported by bf2 I
    do not think there is a agp version of the card since pci express is
    becoming the next step in high end graphics. The 6800 series cards
    came out before the 6600 model and support agp and also have been
    upgraded for the pci express. I would suggest getting the 6800 series
    such as the 6800 Ultra or the 6800GT model. Both play bf2 very well and
    provide a nice visual experience. If your wanting blazing graphics,
    then you might invest into a mobo with pcie to take advantage of duel
    sli hook up of 2 nvidia cards..

    --
    max64

Radeon ATI Geforce Nvidia Windows XP