Sign in with
Your question

The Official 1,000th thread about Dell PSUs

Last response: in Computer Brands
March 1, 2006 1:08:13 PM

First, I have an e510 w/305w PSU

I looked at an ocz 450w PSU someone recommended in a another thread, but it has a power switch on the back, which dell's case may not allow, depending on where it's located.

Any other suggestions? The Dell only has an 18amp 12v rail, but to be on the safe side, i'd like to have 24amps, or at least 20. Would this fry the mobo?

Also, i was looking at putting in two gigs of OCZ ram (2x1gb modules), here's the link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820227045

and this WD Raptor as my master hard drive, with the stock as the slave:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822144160

How much of a difference do you think this will make over the stock 1gb and HD in games like HL2, FarCry, FEAR, and other new and up-and-coming-games?

How about everyday performance?

edit - this power supply looks like it just might fit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817104154
March 11, 2006 3:23:19 PM

thats one of the few few things in a dell thats good: the psu. if you NEED a new one (for like a vid card or its out of cables or w/e) then good luck, because its probably gonna be a bitch to fit in.
March 12, 2006 9:36:07 PM

Just modify the back of the case to make another PSU fit. I've taken care of lots of customers with this problem with my handy Dremel tool. If one takes care in cutting and filing, a nice, fairly professional look can be had. I would certainly recommend this approach which allows you to use the PSU of your choice, not tryng to find one that will fit your case.
Related resources
March 19, 2006 12:01:07 AM

i agree, ineedcache. making case modifications and getting the best power supply is best. you can get some that are very close in dimensions too.
March 22, 2006 8:01:18 PM

i got this one:

http://store.911forpcs.com/dedi51posufr.html

it fits quite nicely, and has two fans as opposed to the one fan on the stock PSU

I also found i dont have to upgrade anything else, because all of my graphic/sound problems were all related to my video card and onboard video conflict. Seems diabling onboard video in device manager and bios wasn't quite enough to keep the damned onboard switched off for good. MSconfig fixed that problem though, so i dont need any more ram or a new HD to improve my gaming experience
July 31, 2006 11:43:59 PM

Dell uses PSUs with standard ATX dimensions and connections, but they usually don't have a power on/off switch nor does the case have a void in the back plate to accommodate a PSU with an on/off switch.

However, you can use a hacksaw to cut out a small piece of the back plate to make room for the switch... then you can use ANY standard PSU.

I did this on a Dimension 8300 to install a SilenX... took about 20 minutes.
August 1, 2006 9:20:39 PM

I usually dont like to overstate the obvious, or keep hammering the same point, but a dremal, some touch up paint, and 5min. will make for a nice looking convert. I've cared for hundreds of customers in this way and never had a complaint.
September 21, 2006 3:36:45 AM

I upgraded my Dimension 5150 (which is the same as a e510 I understand) PSU to a Hiper Type-R 580W when I dropped in a new 7900GT vid card (to replace the X600 this 'power machine' came with *sigh*). This PSU has the power switch but it was no problem.

The problem with the whole upgrade was actually an undocumented catch holding the Dell stock PSU in place (press down at the back after removing the mount screws). Hence a 20 max job turned into an hour of research and a 20 minute job...
November 27, 2006 2:25:32 PM

Quote:
I upgraded my Dimension 5150 (which is the same as a e510 I understand) PSU to a Hiper Type-R 580W when I dropped in a new 7900GT vid card (to replace the X600 this 'power machine' came with *sigh*). This PSU has the power switch but it was no problem.

The problem with the whole upgrade was actually an undocumented catch holding the Dell stock PSU in place (press down at the back after removing the mount screws). Hence a 20 max job turned into an hour of research and a 20 minute job...

I am about to replace the PSU in my Dell 5150 as well. Did you have to modify the case ? Or was it just a matter of removing the current PSU and replacing it with the new PSU ?

Can you also provide the model number you purchased ? I did a search for the Hiper Type-R 580W but there is two different types, apart from the colour.

Thanks.
December 14, 2006 1:09:10 AM

I just replaced the PSU in my E510 with one with a power switch, all I did was snip out 5 mm of aluminum (two quick cuts) and it fit in fin with plenty of clearance from the mounts for the stock PSU.

Belive me, its really easy if you have any basic motor skills (cutting, using a screw driver :roll:) .
December 14, 2006 7:43:10 AM

I didn't have to modify the case on mine. For the record, I went with the Hiper Type-R 580W modular w/ AFPC (black) - which now drives my E6600 homebuilt. I have now replaced the original 305w PSU and have purchased a used 7600GT (which does not need a PCI power cable, Dell upgraders take note) as part of downgrading it to my wife (instead of the X600 it came with) as:
1. I didn't want to drop the money for another top-line gen 7 card and another PSU when the gen-8s are here.
2. I'm thinking this card will eventually drive my HD home entertainment PC when I come to build it.
3. I didn't want to just stick my wife with that X600 when I know she wants to play Star Trek: Legacy and it's Christmas.
!