free virus protection vs. paid

Hello: Is free virus protection just as good as paid virus protection such
as McAfee? THANKS.
--
THANKS, Live long and thrive.
5 answers Last reply

    kerrisky wrote:
    > Hello: Is free virus protection just as good as paid virus
    > protection such as McAfee? THANKS.

    AVG works well for most people and is much recommended.
    McAfee is NOT recommended.

    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    I wouldn't use McAfee if McAfee paid *me* to use it.

    AVG Free is good.

    Get Your AVG 7 for free!
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:8075006E-0172-49B0-A8AF-E485CD9DD6D0@microsoft.com,
    kerrisky <kerrisky@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    Kath Adams wrote:
    > kerrisky wrote:
    >
    >> Hello: Is free virus protection just as good as paid virus
    >> protection such as McAfee? THANKS.
    >

    > AVG works well for most people and is much recommended.
    > McAfee is NOT recommended.

    So does Avast! 4.6 - even on Windows XP 64 bit Edition - especially if
    you apply Brains 1.0;-)

    Roy

    Wesley Vogel wrote:
    > I wouldn't use McAfee if McAfee paid *me* to use it.

    Why?

    > AVG Free is good.

    Why?

    > Get Your AVG 7 for free!

    Why?

    > http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

    Roy

    I had a subscription with McAfee. I caught a virus. McAfee charged me
    extra to remove the virus. I bad mouth McAfee every chance that I get. I
    hope that I have cost McAfee more than they cost me.

    Because I like AVG.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eN61fSodFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Roy Coorne <rcoorne@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wesley Vogel wrote:
    >> I wouldn't use McAfee if McAfee paid *me* to use it.
    >
    > Why?
    >
    >> AVG Free is good.
    >
    > Why?
    >
    >> Get Your AVG 7 for free!