NF7-S (Addition of new Hard Drive to existing syst

Forsaken

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Hi all

I recently purchased the NF7-S and hooked everything up succesfully over the week-end. Everything was working perfectly until yesterday that is....

I decided to add to my old hard drive as an additional drive (F . My main drive is a WD 120 G SATA drive partitioned into 3 sections 40 G each (C: is where Win XP was installed). I used the PATA / SATA converter and connected my old WD 40 gig drive to the second SATA converter and booted the system.... Looked in the SATA Bios and although it identifies my main drive it does not "see" the new drive. I decided to try hooking it up on my free IDE and the system locates it... problem is it boots in Win 98 (since Win 98 was installed on my old system) instead of using C: which is supposed to be my boot drive. I do not want to format that drive since it has all my old data.

Now, I would rather have that additional drive hooked up as a SATA drive (even though I dont necessarily want to hook them up in RAID). I just dont understand why it doesnt recognise it in the SATA bios. I had already installed the proper SI 3112 driver for my previous drive and had installed the drivers that came with the motherboard CD. If the first SATA controller recognizes my main drive shouldnt the second recognize the new one?

How can I get the system to recognize the second drive in SATA ? Do I need to reinstall Win Xp ? if so, will I lose all the data that I installed over the w-e and consequently have to reinstall all the drivers again ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated... I consider myself to be a noob in training when it comes to systems even though I enjoy reading and trying to build my own comp...

Many thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide!

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
If it is not an SATA drive, you will likely lose performance with it on your second SATA controler... try it on IDE1 and if it works, go with it... if you must get it going with the ATA converter, then at least you will have the drive up and running while you find your way there...

<font color=red><b>The mind is in its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, Book II