What is utility program?

June 19, 2005 10:04:24 PM

Hi,
I just got an assignment ^^. One question asking what is utility program,
can I ask what is that? Can anybody give me some examples? Thanks

More about : utility program

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 10:04:25 PM

"Adrian" <a@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I just got an assignment ^^. One question asking what is utility program,
> can I ask what is that? Can anybody give me some examples? Thanks

It's a class of programs that are usually designed to perform a specific
function like converting data from one format to another.

http://www.beedocuments.com/texttopdf.html

Quote: A simple utility for creating searchable PDF files from text
documents.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 11:22:59 PM

One question asking what is utility program,
> can I ask what is that?

Utility software is a broad term for any software designed to perform
specific tasks (or chores) on your computer such as backing up, maintaining
your computer in peak condition, analysing problems, fixing problems,
defragging hard drives, file management etc.

Examples:
http://www.kickstartnews.com/utilities.html

Some utilities come in suites which do a range of tasks.

OTOH, some of the best utilities do just one thing but do it excellently and
reliably.

--
Regards

John Waller
Related resources
June 20, 2005 12:10:59 AM

Am I correct to say utility program is similar to software, but smaller. A
software contains many utility function, is it correct?

"John Waller" <johnw@REMOVETHISpinnacleweb.com.au> wrote in message
> One question asking what is utility program,
> > can I ask what is that?
>
> Utility software is a broad term for any software designed to perform
> specific tasks (or chores) on your computer such as backing up,
maintaining
> your computer in peak condition, analysing problems, fixing problems,
> defragging hard drives, file management etc.
>
> Examples:
> http://www.kickstartnews.com/utilities.html
>
> Some utilities come in suites which do a range of tasks.
>
> OTOH, some of the best utilities do just one thing but do it excellently
and
> reliably.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> John Waller

June 20, 2005 12:12:30 AM

Also, things inside the control panel, such as Add/Remove program,
Add/Remove hardware, are they utility program?

"John Waller" <johnw@REMOVETHISpinnacleweb.com.au> wrote in message
> One question asking what is utility program,
> > can I ask what is that?
>
> Utility software is a broad term for any software designed to perform
> specific tasks (or chores) on your computer such as backing up,
maintaining
> your computer in peak condition, analysing problems, fixing problems,
> defragging hard drives, file management etc.
>
> Examples:
> http://www.kickstartnews.com/utilities.html
>
> Some utilities come in suites which do a range of tasks.
>
> OTOH, some of the best utilities do just one thing but do it excellently
and
> reliably.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> John Waller

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 1:15:57 AM

> Am I correct to say utility program is similar to software, but smaller. A
> software contains many utility function, is it correct?

It's all "software".

You may be thinking of applications e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint

Utilities do the mundane jobs which keep computers running well...and, yes,
in general they're smaller than software applications.

--
Regards

John Waller
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 1:16:12 AM

Yes.

--
Regards

John Waller
June 20, 2005 2:41:33 AM

Thanks very much, this nice and neat answer solve all my queries ^^ Thanks a
lot.

!