pc restarts itself

June 19, 2005 5:04:02 AM

does anybody know why my pc restarts itself if i leave it for a period of
time without using it? i know there is a setting somewhere that it can
hibernate or something but i didnt think it should restart itself.thank you
in advance for any help you can give me.

More about : restarts

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 9:39:54 PM

Look at the Event Viewer if you get any clue.
In the mean time you can:-
Right click on My Computer, select Properties and then the Advanced tab.
Click on Settings under 'Startup and Recovery' and then uncheck
'Automatically restart'. Next time your PC tries to restart you should
see a Blue Screen with an error message.
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

crocket wrote:

> does anybody know why my pc restarts itself if i leave it for a period of
> time without using it? i know there is a setting somewhere that it can
> hibernate or something but i didnt think it should restart itself.thank you
> in advance for any help you can give me.
June 19, 2005 10:45:12 PM

Have you ever seen it do it....

Is it an orderly shutdown or as if you pull the power........

how long is "a period of time..."

Can you leave the machine in the BIOS screen overnight as see what
happens.......

If it does it while in BIOS then time for a trip to the rapair shop.......

"crocket" <crocket@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> does anybody know why my pc restarts itself if i leave it for a period of
> time without using it? i know there is a setting somewhere that it can
> hibernate or something but i didnt think it should restart itself.thank
> you
> in advance for any help you can give me.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 12:54:25 PM

check in control panel/power options

!