Sign in with
Your question

Discerning single from double sided 1GB PC3200?

Last response: in Memory
March 4, 2004 9:03:53 PM

I want to put together an Athlon 64 3400+ system with 2GB RAM. From reading some reviews I'm leaning towards either the Asus K8V Deluxe or MSI K8T Neo - both seem well suited, and support up to 3GB RAM.

Here's the trick - the K6 apparently has some limitations on how many double-sided DIMMs it can use. I'm not sure if it can accept 2 double sided and 1 single sided, and it's awfully hard to tell, when searching Pricegrabber, NewEgg, ZipZoomFly, etc. whether a DIMM is single or double sided. Most frustrating of all (and kind of ridiculous if you ask me), if you search any of those sites looking for memory of 1GB capacity, most of what you find is actually 2x512MB DIMMs, as though I don't really know what I want.

Anyway, bottom line, I want to put 2GB RAM in my new system; can someone suggest specific part #s (Corsair, Kingston, whatever), give me URL links, or just point me in the right direction to get whatever I need to put 2GB into an Athlon 64 system. Either that, or could someone confirm that I can put two double-sided PC3200 DIMMs onto either an Asus K8V Deluxe or MSI K8T Neo?
Man, I remember when RAM was so easy... :) 

Thanks in advance,
Barry
a b } Memory
March 5, 2004 12:48:32 AM

According to OCWorkbench, the Soyo K8USA is the best board on the market for the A64.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
March 5, 2004 2:19:35 AM

> According to OCWorkbench, the Soyo K8USA is the best board on the market for the A64

I appreciate the suggestion. I checked out their review, but my priorities are pretty far from theirs - I don't have any interest in overclocking (never really saw the point, but then again, to each his own). It is an intesting board, but I don't see it better suiting me, and none of the performance differences in their review would be close to perceptible, so I'm inclined to stick with what I know (guess I'm getting old). I've used Asus, Gigabyte and Tyan (for servers) in the past, and Soyo would be a departure.

Anyway, thanks for the pointer - it certainly is worth a look.

Barry
!