The same quick launch for all logins

June 19, 2005 6:29:01 AM

How do you get the same icons to appear in quick launch when you have
multiple logins on the same machine. I know that for the desktop you place
the shortcuts in all users but were do you place the shortcut for the quick
launch.

Thanks
--
FL Consultant

More about : quick launch logins

June 19, 2005 3:08:05 PM

FL Consultant wrote:
> How do you get the same icons to appear in quick launch when you have
> multiple logins on the same machine. I know that for the desktop you place
> the shortcuts in all users but were do you place the shortcut for the quick
> launch.
>
> Thanks

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Quick Launch

There's no equivalent folder in All Users.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 3:08:06 PM

So it is not possible to have the same quick launch items for each differnet
login.

"JS" wrote:

> FL Consultant wrote:
> > How do you get the same icons to appear in quick launch when you have
> > multiple logins on the same machine. I know that for the desktop you place
> > the shortcuts in all users but were do you place the shortcut for the quick
> > launch.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\Quick Launch
>
> There's no equivalent folder in All Users.

June 19, 2005 3:08:07 PM

It should be possible. Using XP, the "Default User" is a template that is
applied to all newly created users/profiles. All Users is a global or shared
profile that is common to everyone.
If you Explorer (w/ Hidden/System files shown) to Docs & Settings\
All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer - you should see
a Quick Launch folder. If you populate that folder with your global icons
then everyone who logs in will have those icons in QLaunch.

"FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So it is not possible to have the same quick launch items for each
> differnet
> login.
>

> "JS" wrote:
>
>> FL Consultant wrote:
>> > How do you get the same icons to appear in quick launch when you have
>> > multiple logins on the same machine. I know that for the desktop you
>> > place
>> > the shortcuts in all users but were do you place the shortcut for the
>> > quick
>> > launch.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
>> Explorer\Quick Launch
>>
>> There's no equivalent folder in All Users.

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 3:08:08 PM

That is a good suggestion but when I go to All Users\Application
Data\Microsoft there is no subdirectory Internet Explorer. Can I create one
and add a Quick Launch sub directory?

If I go to the user version of \Application Data\Microsoft there is a IE\QL.
I wonder why there is not one at the All User area?

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> It should be possible. Using XP, the "Default User" is a template that is
> applied to all newly created users/profiles. All Users is a global or shared
> profile that is common to everyone.
> If you Explorer (w/ Hidden/System files shown) to Docs & Settings\
> All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer - you should see
> a Quick Launch folder. If you populate that folder with your global icons
> then everyone who logs in will have those icons in QLaunch.
>
> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > So it is not possible to have the same quick launch items for each
> > differnet
> > login.

> >> C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
> >> Explorer\Quick Launch
> >>
> >> There's no equivalent folder in All Users.

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 3:08:09 PM

That is because Quick Launch by default isn't enabled on newly
created profiles. Which brings up an interesting ?, I hadn't thought
of - If you create/populate the folder it may not appear in profiles
where the Task Bar option "Show Quick Launch" isn't enabled.
It might require more work to implement. I suppose it wouldn't
hurt anything to try my suggestion. but to actually view the QL may
need a Tweak-UI setting to be toggled. I really should think out
these "Off-the-Cuff" suggestions a little more.

> That is a good suggestion but when I go to All Users\Application
> Data\Microsoft there is no subdirectory Internet Explorer. Can I create
> one
> and add a Quick Launch sub directory?
>
> If I go to the user version of \Application Data\Microsoft there is a
> IE\QL.
> I wonder why there is not one at the All User area?
>

> "R. McCarty" wrote:
>
>> It should be possible. Using XP, the "Default User" is a template that
>> is
>> applied to all newly created users/profiles. All Users is a global or
>> shared
>> profile that is common to everyone.
>> If you Explorer (w/ Hidden/System files shown) to Docs & Settings\
>> All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer - you should see
>> a Quick Launch folder. If you populate that folder with your global icons
>> then everyone who logs in will have those icons in QLaunch.
>>
>> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > So it is not possible to have the same quick launch items for each
>> > differnet
>> > login.

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 3:08:10 PM

After you have thought about it some more please send provide your thoughts.
Also where do I do this tweaking???

Thanks for your time.

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> That is because Quick Launch by default isn't enabled on newly
> created profiles. Which brings up an interesting ?, I hadn't thought
> of - If you create/populate the folder it may not appear in profiles
> where the Task Bar option "Show Quick Launch" isn't enabled.
> It might require more work to implement. I suppose it wouldn't
> hurt anything to try my suggestion. but to actually view the QL may
> need a Tweak-UI setting to be toggled. I really should think out
> these "Off-the-Cuff" suggestions a little more.
>
> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > That is a good suggestion but when I go to All Users\Application
> > Data\Microsoft there is no subdirectory Internet Explorer. Can I create
> > one
> > and add a Quick Launch sub directory?
> >
> > If I go to the user version of \Application Data\Microsoft there is a
> > IE\QL.
> > I wonder why there is not one at the All User area?
> >

> > "R. McCarty" wrote:
> >
> >> It should be possible. Using XP, the "Default User" is a template that
> >> is
> >> applied to all newly created users/profiles. All Users is a global or
> >> shared
> >> profile that is common to everyone.
> >> If you Explorer (w/ Hidden/System files shown) to Docs & Settings\
> >> All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer - you should see
> >> a Quick Launch folder. If you populate that folder with your global icons
> >> then everyone who logs in will have those icons in QLaunch.
> >>
> >> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 7:02:02 PM

You are right. I created a IE / QL subdirectory under All Users and it did
not show the shortcuts in the QL area.

So how do you create them in the All users area. I am logined in as me and
I am an Admin person.

Thanks

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> That is because Quick Launch by default isn't enabled on newly
> created profiles. Which brings up an interesting ?, I hadn't thought
> of - If you create/populate the folder it may not appear in profiles
> where the Task Bar option "Show Quick Launch" isn't enabled.
> It might require more work to implement. I suppose it wouldn't
> hurt anything to try my suggestion. but to actually view the QL may
> need a Tweak-UI setting to be toggled. I really should think out
> these "Off-the-Cuff" suggestions a little more.
>
> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > That is a good suggestion but when I go to All Users\Application
> > Data\Microsoft there is no subdirectory Internet Explorer. Can I create
> > one
> > and add a Quick Launch sub directory?
> >
> > If I go to the user version of \Application Data\Microsoft there is a
> > IE\QL.
> > I wonder why there is not one at the All User area?
> >

> > "R. McCarty" wrote:
> >
> >> It should be possible. Using XP, the "Default User" is a template that
> >> is
> >> applied to all newly created users/profiles. All Users is a global or
> >> shared
> >> profile that is common to everyone.
> >> If you Explorer (w/ Hidden/System files shown) to Docs & Settings\
> >> All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer - you should see
> >> a Quick Launch folder. If you populate that folder with your global icons
> >> then everyone who logs in will have those icons in QLaunch.
> >>
> >> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 10:13:14 PM

Right Click on the Start button, Left Click Properties, Task Bar (TAB)
Click the "Show Quick Launch" option, Apply, then OK.

"FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 2F2B329-DA57-4391-98DA-479656673AC8@microsoft.com...
> You are right. I created a IE / QL subdirectory under All Users and it
> did
> not show the shortcuts in the QL area.
>
> So how do you create them in the All users area. I am logined in as me
> and
> I am an Admin person.
>
> Thanks
>
> "R. McCarty" wrote:
>
>> That is because Quick Launch by default isn't enabled on newly
>> created profiles. Which brings up an interesting ?, I hadn't thought
>> of - If you create/populate the folder it may not appear in profiles
>> where the Task Bar option "Show Quick Launch" isn't enabled.
>> It might require more work to implement. I suppose it wouldn't
>> hurt anything to try my suggestion. but to actually view the QL may
>> need a Tweak-UI setting to be toggled. I really should think out
>> these "Off-the-Cuff" suggestions a little more.
>>
>> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > That is a good suggestion but when I go to All Users\Application
>> > Data\Microsoft there is no subdirectory Internet Explorer. Can I
>> > create
>> > one
>> > and add a Quick Launch sub directory?
>> >
>> > If I go to the user version of \Application Data\Microsoft there is a
>> > IE\QL.
>> > I wonder why there is not one at the All User area?

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 1:21:20 AM

FL Consultant wrote:

> How do you get the same icons to appear in quick launch when
> you have multiple logins on the same machine. I know that for
> the desktop you place the shortcuts in all users but were do
> you place the shortcut for the quick launch.
Hi,

I solve this by using a VBScript that runs at logon.

Here is an example script:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.windo...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
June 20, 2005 1:21:21 AM

That is great but you should not have to run a VBScript for this to work.
Why add additional programming when functionality is built into your OS.

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> FL Consultant wrote:
>
> > How do you get the same icons to appear in quick launch when
> > you have multiple logins on the same machine. I know that for
> > the desktop you place the shortcuts in all users but were do
> > you place the shortcut for the quick launch.
> Hi,
>
> I solve this by using a VBScript that runs at logon.
>
> Here is an example script:
> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.windo...

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.m...

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 10:23:18 AM

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:41:02 -0700, "FL Consultant"

>That is great but you should not have to run a VBScript for this to work.
>Why add additional programming when functionality is built into your OS.

Also, why should you be forced to swallow the risk of enabling WSH if
you have no other need for it?

>"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:
>> FL Consultant wrote:

>> > How do you get the same icons to appear in quick launch when
>> > you have multiple logins on the same machine. I know that for
>> > the desktop you place the shortcuts in all users but were do
>> > you place the shortcut for the quick launch.

As you noticed, several parts of the UI is broken when it comes to
AllUsers. These facilities appear to be there, but are not used:
SendTo and the toolbars, such as QuickLaunch.

It doesn't kill anyone, so prolly won;'t get fixed this side of LH.

Can't stop what's coming
Can't stop what's on it's way (Tori Amos)
June 24, 2005 5:33:02 AM

Thanks for your comments but you have assumed that everyone understands your
use of jargon.

!