The same quick launch for all logins

How do you get the same icons to appear in quick launch when you have
multiple logins on the same machine. I know that for the desktop you place
the shortcuts in all users but were do you place the shortcut for the quick
launch.

Thanks
--
FL Consultant
12 answers Last reply

    FL Consultant wrote:
    > How do you get the same icons to appear in quick launch when you have
    > multiple logins on the same machine. I know that for the desktop you place
    > the shortcuts in all users but were do you place the shortcut for the quick
    > launch.
    >
    > Thanks

    C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
    Explorer\Quick Launch

    There's no equivalent folder in All Users.

    So it is not possible to have the same quick launch items for each differnet
    login.

    "JS" wrote:

    > FL Consultant wrote:
    > > How do you get the same icons to appear in quick launch when you have
    > > multiple logins on the same machine. I know that for the desktop you place
    > > the shortcuts in all users but were do you place the shortcut for the quick
    > > launch.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
    > Explorer\Quick Launch
    >
    > There's no equivalent folder in All Users.

    It should be possible. Using XP, the "Default User" is a template that is
    applied to all newly created users/profiles. All Users is a global or shared
    profile that is common to everyone.
    If you Explorer (w/ Hidden/System files shown) to Docs & Settings\
    All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer - you should see
    a Quick Launch folder. If you populate that folder with your global icons
    then everyone who logs in will have those icons in QLaunch.

    "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > So it is not possible to have the same quick launch items for each
    > differnet
    > login.
    >

    > "JS" wrote:
    >
    >> FL Consultant wrote:
    >> > How do you get the same icons to appear in quick launch when you have
    >> > multiple logins on the same machine. I know that for the desktop you
    >> > place
    >> > the shortcuts in all users but were do you place the shortcut for the
    >> > quick
    >> > launch.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
    >> Explorer\Quick Launch
    >>
    >> There's no equivalent folder in All Users.

    That is a good suggestion but when I go to All Users\Application
    Data\Microsoft there is no subdirectory Internet Explorer. Can I create one
    and add a Quick Launch sub directory?

    If I go to the user version of \Application Data\Microsoft there is a IE\QL.
    I wonder why there is not one at the All User area?

    "R. McCarty" wrote:

    > It should be possible. Using XP, the "Default User" is a template that is
    > applied to all newly created users/profiles. All Users is a global or shared
    > profile that is common to everyone.
    > If you Explorer (w/ Hidden/System files shown) to Docs & Settings\
    > All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer - you should see
    > a Quick Launch folder. If you populate that folder with your global icons
    > then everyone who logs in will have those icons in QLaunch.
    >
    > "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > So it is not possible to have the same quick launch items for each
    > > differnet
    > > login.

    > >> C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
    > >> Explorer\Quick Launch
    > >>
    > >> There's no equivalent folder in All Users.

    That is because Quick Launch by default isn't enabled on newly
    created profiles. Which brings up an interesting ?, I hadn't thought
    of - If you create/populate the folder it may not appear in profiles
    where the Task Bar option "Show Quick Launch" isn't enabled.
    It might require more work to implement. I suppose it wouldn't
    hurt anything to try my suggestion. but to actually view the QL may
    need a Tweak-UI setting to be toggled. I really should think out
    these "Off-the-Cuff" suggestions a little more.

    > That is a good suggestion but when I go to All Users\Application
    > Data\Microsoft there is no subdirectory Internet Explorer. Can I create
    > one
    > and add a Quick Launch sub directory?
    >
    > If I go to the user version of \Application Data\Microsoft there is a
    > IE\QL.
    > I wonder why there is not one at the All User area?
    >

    > "R. McCarty" wrote:
    >
    >> It should be possible. Using XP, the "Default User" is a template that
    >> is
    >> applied to all newly created users/profiles. All Users is a global or
    >> shared
    >> profile that is common to everyone.
    >> If you Explorer (w/ Hidden/System files shown) to Docs & Settings\
    >> All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer - you should see
    >> a Quick Launch folder. If you populate that folder with your global icons
    >> then everyone who logs in will have those icons in QLaunch.
    >>
    >> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > So it is not possible to have the same quick launch items for each
    >> > differnet
    >> > login.

    After you have thought about it some more please send provide your thoughts.
    Also where do I do this tweaking???

    Thanks for your time.

    "R. McCarty" wrote:

    > That is because Quick Launch by default isn't enabled on newly
    > created profiles. Which brings up an interesting ?, I hadn't thought
    > of - If you create/populate the folder it may not appear in profiles
    > where the Task Bar option "Show Quick Launch" isn't enabled.
    > It might require more work to implement. I suppose it wouldn't
    > hurt anything to try my suggestion. but to actually view the QL may
    > need a Tweak-UI setting to be toggled. I really should think out
    > these "Off-the-Cuff" suggestions a little more.
    >
    > "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > That is a good suggestion but when I go to All Users\Application
    > > Data\Microsoft there is no subdirectory Internet Explorer. Can I create
    > > one
    > > and add a Quick Launch sub directory?
    > >
    > > If I go to the user version of \Application Data\Microsoft there is a
    > > IE\QL.
    > > I wonder why there is not one at the All User area?
    > >

    > > "R. McCarty" wrote:
    > >
    > >> It should be possible. Using XP, the "Default User" is a template that
    > >> is
    > >> applied to all newly created users/profiles. All Users is a global or
    > >> shared
    > >> profile that is common to everyone.
    > >> If you Explorer (w/ Hidden/System files shown) to Docs & Settings\
    > >> All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer - you should see
    > >> a Quick Launch folder. If you populate that folder with your global icons
    > >> then everyone who logs in will have those icons in QLaunch.
    > >>
    > >> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    You are right. I created a IE / QL subdirectory under All Users and it did
    not show the shortcuts in the QL area.

    So how do you create them in the All users area. I am logined in as me and
    I am an Admin person.

    Thanks

    "R. McCarty" wrote:

    > That is because Quick Launch by default isn't enabled on newly
    > created profiles. Which brings up an interesting ?, I hadn't thought
    > of - If you create/populate the folder it may not appear in profiles
    > where the Task Bar option "Show Quick Launch" isn't enabled.
    > It might require more work to implement. I suppose it wouldn't
    > hurt anything to try my suggestion. but to actually view the QL may
    > need a Tweak-UI setting to be toggled. I really should think out
    > these "Off-the-Cuff" suggestions a little more.
    >
    > "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > That is a good suggestion but when I go to All Users\Application
    > > Data\Microsoft there is no subdirectory Internet Explorer. Can I create
    > > one
    > > and add a Quick Launch sub directory?
    > >
    > > If I go to the user version of \Application Data\Microsoft there is a
    > > IE\QL.
    > > I wonder why there is not one at the All User area?
    > >

    > > "R. McCarty" wrote:
    > >
    > >> It should be possible. Using XP, the "Default User" is a template that
    > >> is
    > >> applied to all newly created users/profiles. All Users is a global or
    > >> shared
    > >> profile that is common to everyone.
    > >> If you Explorer (w/ Hidden/System files shown) to Docs & Settings\
    > >> All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer - you should see
    > >> a Quick Launch folder. If you populate that folder with your global icons
    > >> then everyone who logs in will have those icons in QLaunch.
    > >>
    > >> "FL Consultant" <FLConsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Right Click on the Start button, Left Click Properties, Task Bar (TAB)
    Click the "Show Quick Launch" option, Apply, then OK.

    FL Consultant wrote:

    > How do you get the same icons to appear in quick launch when
    > you have multiple logins on the same machine. I know that for
    > the desktop you place the shortcuts in all users but were do
    > you place the shortcut for the quick launch.
    Hi,

    I solve this by using a VBScript that runs at logon.

    Here is an example script:
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/7ddd2ab7be3109b8?dmode=source&hl=en

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    That is great but you should not have to run a VBScript for this to work.
    Why add additional programming when functionality is built into your OS.

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

    > FL Consultant wrote:
    >
    > > How do you get the same icons to appear in quick launch when
    > > you have multiple logins on the same machine. I know that for
    > > the desktop you place the shortcuts in all users but were do
    > > you place the shortcut for the quick launch.
    > Hi,
    >
    > I solve this by using a VBScript that runs at logon.
    >
    > Here is an example script:
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/7ddd2ab7be3109b8?dmode=source&hl=en

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:41:02 -0700, "FL Consultant"

    >That is great but you should not have to run a VBScript for this to work.
    >Why add additional programming when functionality is built into your OS.

    Also, why should you be forced to swallow the risk of enabling WSH if
    you have no other need for it?

    >"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:
    >> FL Consultant wrote:

    >> > How do you get the same icons to appear in quick launch when
    >> > you have multiple logins on the same machine. I know that for
    >> > the desktop you place the shortcuts in all users but were do
    >> > you place the shortcut for the quick launch.

    As you noticed, several parts of the UI is broken when it comes to
    AllUsers. These facilities appear to be there, but are not used:
    SendTo and the toolbars, such as QuickLaunch.

    It doesn't kill anyone, so prolly won;'t get fixed this side of LH.

    Can't stop what's coming
    Can't stop what's on it's way (Tori Amos)

    Thanks for your comments but you have assumed that everyone understands your
    use of jargon.

    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:41:02 -0700, "FL Consultant"
    >
    > >That is great but you should not have to run a VBScript for this to work.
    > >Why add additional programming when functionality is built into your OS.
    >
    > Also, why should you be forced to swallow the risk of enabling WSH if
    > you have no other need for it?

    > As you noticed, several parts of the UI is broken when it comes to
    > AllUsers. These facilities appear to be there, but are not used:
    > SendTo and the toolbars, such as QuickLaunch.
    >
    > It doesn't kill anyone, so prolly won;'t get fixed this side of LH.

    > Can't stop what's coming
    > Can't stop what's on it's way (Tori Amos)

Microsoft Quick Launch Windows XP