Any idea what causes mapped network drives to appear as 'Disconnected
Network Drive' in 'my computer?' This happens even when a system is
powered up with the networked system already online (supposed to
reconnect on startup).

Double-clicking the drive letter in 'my computer' accesses the drive
and changes status to 'Network Drive.' Unfortunately, accessing by
another app gets the 'disconnected' status.

There must be a registry patch or option for this, but I haven't found
it.

_RR <_RR@nomail.com> wrote:

>Any idea what causes mapped network drives to appear as 'Disconnected
>Network Drive' in 'my computer?' This happens even when a system is
>powered up with the networked system already online (supposed to
>reconnect on startup).

This is by design. Windows will not reconnect the drives on startup
but on the first use.

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:48:32 +0200, Thorsten Matzner
<tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote:

>_RR <_RR@nomail.com> wrote:
>
>>Any idea what causes mapped network drives to appear as 'Disconnected
>>Network Drive' in 'my computer?' This happens even when a system is
>>powered up with the networked system already online (supposed to
>>reconnect on startup).
>
>This is by design. Windows will not reconnect the drives on startup
>but on the first use.

Any way to keep them connected?

BTW, drives will reconnect when an attempt is made via direct click in
'my computer' but programs that do folder sync or whatever seem to
fail. I wonder why MS would want to force users to manually reconnect
after timeouts.

Disconnected Network Drive

To work around the problem (which dogged me for months..) used the standard
welcome screen WITH MORE THAN ONE USER. One user goes right into Windows and
mapped drives are disconnected. MORE than one user causes mapped drives to be
connected when the selected user's settings finishes loading. Bad tradeoff
to get mapped drives "connected" at startup if only one person uses the
machine.....
Wish MS would make a fix to this.... instead of "by design"