Disconnected Network Drive

Any idea what causes mapped network drives to appear as 'Disconnected
Network Drive' in 'my computer?' This happens even when a system is
powered up with the networked system already online (supposed to
reconnect on startup).

Double-clicking the drive letter in 'my computer' accesses the drive
and changes status to 'Network Drive.' Unfortunately, accessing by
another app gets the 'disconnected' status.

There must be a registry patch or option for this, but I haven't found
it.
3 answers Last reply
More about disconnected network drive

    _RR <_RR@nomail.com> wrote:

    >Any idea what causes mapped network drives to appear as 'Disconnected
    >Network Drive' in 'my computer?' This happens even when a system is
    >powered up with the networked system already online (supposed to
    >reconnect on startup).

    This is by design. Windows will not reconnect the drives on startup
    but on the first use.

    --
    (tm)
    ICQ: 192649233

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:48:32 +0200, Thorsten Matzner
    <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote:

    >_RR <_RR@nomail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Any idea what causes mapped network drives to appear as 'Disconnected
    >>Network Drive' in 'my computer?' This happens even when a system is
    >>powered up with the networked system already online (supposed to
    >>reconnect on startup).
    >
    >This is by design. Windows will not reconnect the drives on startup
    >but on the first use.

    Any way to keep them connected?

    BTW, drives will reconnect when an attempt is made via direct click in
    'my computer' but programs that do folder sync or whatever seem to
    fail. I wonder why MS would want to force users to manually reconnect
    after timeouts.

    Disconnected Network Drive

    To work around the problem (which dogged me for months..) used the standard
    welcome screen WITH MORE THAN ONE USER. One user goes right into Windows and
    mapped drives are disconnected. MORE than one user causes mapped drives to be
    connected when the selected user's settings finishes loading. Bad tradeoff
    to get mapped drives "connected" at startup if only one person uses the
    machine.....
    Wish MS would make a fix to this.... instead of "by design"

    "_RR" wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:48:32 +0200, Thorsten Matzner
    > <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote:
    >
    > >_RR <_RR@nomail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Any idea what causes mapped network drives to appear as 'Disconnected
    > >>Network Drive' in 'my computer?' This happens even when a system is
    > >>powered up with the networked system already online (supposed to
    > >>reconnect on startup).
    > >
    > >This is by design. Windows will not reconnect the drives on startup
    > >but on the first use.
    >
    > Any way to keep them connected?
    >
    > BTW, drives will reconnect when an attempt is made via direct click in
    > 'my computer' but programs that do folder sync or whatever seem to
    > fail. I wonder why MS would want to force users to manually reconnect
    > after timeouts.

Connection Computers Network Drive Windows XP