CPU culprit

My mouse/sound had been sticking and when I checked task manager I
notcied that CPU usage is stable at 25% (normally 1%) when the system
is doing nothing. There are no visable applicatins running. What's
happening here? Would adding more memory help...but I still wonder what
the culprit is. Recented added Zone Alarm and a wireless card. And
updated with windows update. But that's it. Any help? Would be most
grateful.

Could be the wireless card.

Uninstall it from Device Manager, power down,
remove card, see if problem goes away.

If it does, you're probably the victim of hardware that doesn't
play nice with shared IRQ's.

You could spend many, many hours following advice
trying to resolve it OR you could take it back and
try another brand of card, hoping for better behavior.

"lee walters" <pepplewickTAKEAWAY@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My mouse/sound had been sticking and when I checked task manager I
> notcied that CPU usage is stable at 25% (normally 1%) when the system
> is doing nothing. There are no visable applicatins running. What's
> happening here? Would adding more memory help...but I still wonder what
> the culprit is. Recented added Zone Alarm and a wireless card. And
> updated with windows update. But that's it. Any help? Would be most
> grateful.

Did you do what I told you yesterday, in your original thread? Not only
programs use up CPU cycles. Background services also use up cycles. Do as I
said and you WILL be able to determine what is bringing down your
performance.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"lee walters" <pepplewickTAKEAWAY@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My mouse/sound had been sticking and when I checked task manager I
> notcied that CPU usage is stable at 25% (normally 1%) when the system
> is doing nothing. There are no visable applicatins running. What's
> happening here? Would adding more memory help...but I still wonder what
> the culprit is. Recented added Zone Alarm and a wireless card. And
> updated with windows update. But that's it. Any help? Would be most
> grateful.

Hi Lee,

I'd check you don't have some malicious program running. If you bring up
Task Manager, on the "Processes" tab, is there any program that looks odd?
Also check the CPU column to find the process thats eating your processor.

Good luck...
Alain

"lee walters" <pepplewickTAKEAWAY@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My mouse/sound had been sticking and when I checked task manager I
> notcied that CPU usage is stable at 25% (normally 1%) when the system
> is doing nothing. There are no visable applicatins running. What's
> happening here? Would adding more memory help...but I still wonder what
> the culprit is. Recented added Zone Alarm and a wireless card. And
> updated with windows update. But that's it. Any help? Would be most
> grateful.

TRENDING THREADS