Stopping a program upon startup

drew

Hello -

How do I prevent "Windows Messenger" from starting when my computer boots
up?

Thanks

Drew

You have to employ the "Whack-A-Mole" approach.

First, modify the properties of Messenger itself to not
load at Startup. Then email client Outlook Express has
an option to startup Messenger when you use mail.
Under Tools, Options, General (TAB) - untic/uncheck
"Automatically Logon to Messenger".

If you never intend to use Messenger, it's possible to
actually uninstall it from a specific user profile. However,
when some Microsoft updates are applied it can be
resurrected again.

"Drew" <drew@home.net> wrote in message
> Hello -
>
> How do I prevent "Windows Messenger" from starting when my computer boots
> up?
>
> Thanks
>
> Drew

drew

Thanks!

Drew

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> You have to employ the "Whack-A-Mole" approach.
>
> First, modify the properties of Messenger itself to not
> load at Startup. Then email client Outlook Express has
> an option to startup Messenger when you use mail.
> Under Tools, Options, General (TAB) - untic/uncheck
> "Automatically Logon to Messenger".
>
> If you never intend to use Messenger, it's possible to
> actually uninstall it from a specific user profile. However,
> when some Microsoft updates are applied it can be
> resurrected again.
>
> "Drew" <drew@home.net> wrote in message
>> Hello -
>>
>> How do I prevent "Windows Messenger" from starting when my computer boots
>> up?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Drew

Hi Drew,

You DON'T want to disable Windows Messenger, you DO want to disable MS
Messenger. Start by uninstalling it, the option can be found in Add & Remove
programs under Windows Components. WM and MSM are two different things, and
the former is part of the system processes.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Drew" <drew@home.net> wrote in message
> Hello -
>
> How do I prevent "Windows Messenger" from starting when my computer boots
> up?
>
> Thanks
>
> Drew

Rick,

Why DON'T I want to disable Windows Messenger?

I am on a stand alone machine and not on a network.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:e5PvuxMdFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Rick "Nutcase" Rogers <rick@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Drew,
>
> You DON'T want to disable Windows Messenger, you DO want to disable MS
> Messenger. Start by uninstalling it, the option can be found in Add &
> Remove programs under Windows Components. WM and MSM are two different
> things, and the former is part of the system processes.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Drew" <drew@home.net> wrote in message
>> Hello -
>>
>> How do I prevent "Windows Messenger" from starting when my computer boots
>> up?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Drew

Hi Wesley,

We don't know that the OP isn't on a network, but what we DO know is that
the popups and irritating, suddenly starting messenger is the MS messenger
(internet based, often triggered by Outlook or OE), not the Windows
messenger (for exchange and other internal IM services).

--

> Rick,
>
> Why DON'T I want to disable Windows Messenger?
>
> I am on a stand alone machine and not on a network.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:e5PvuxMdFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers <rick@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi Drew,
>>
>> You DON'T want to disable Windows Messenger, you DO want to disable MS
>> Messenger. Start by uninstalling it, the option can be found in Add &
>> Remove programs under Windows Components. WM and MSM are two different
>> things, and the former is part of the system processes.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Drew" <drew@home.net> wrote in message
>>> Hello -
>>>
>>> How do I prevent "Windows Messenger" from starting when my computer
>>> boots
>>> up?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Drew